PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

Are there really people who think 12-14 million is alot? We paid Agholor 11 million.

Or are we still sick in the mindset you should go bargain shopping in free agency

This could make him the highest paid skill player on the team. That's pretty bad. He is very replaceable and that money should be allocated elsewhere.
Other than Rham, who as an RB gets paid in wooden nickels, Meyers is the best skill player we have.

Are there really people who think 12-14 million is alot? We paid Agholor 11 million.

Or are we still sick in the mindset you should go bargain shopping in free agency
He's not going for 12-14 million lol.

I almost thought that the Patriots would've applied the transition tag to Meyers. $18 Million for one year doesn't sound too far off from what he's likely to get but it may put a crimp in any offer sheet from another team if they come in with back-loaded offer.

Other than Rham, who as an RB gets paid in wooden nickels, Meyers is the best skill player we have.
And there lies the problem. However, I could argue Bourne is a better player and was held in a timeout due to office politics.

And there lies the problem. However, I could argue Bourne is a better player and was held in a timeout due to office politics.
How? He's never had as good a season as either of Meyers's last two.

How? He's never had as good a season as either of Meyers's last two.
He blew Meyers out of the water in 2021 in efficiency. It's not even close.

I almost thought that the Patriots would've applied the transition tag to Meyers. $18 Million for one year doesn't sound too far off from what he's likely to get but it may put a crimp in any offer sheet from another team if they come in with back-loaded offer.
Pretty sure, based on numerous articles, the pats have his value pegged at the 12 million dollar mark... Basically what they gave agholor a few years ago

He blew Meyers out of the water in 2021 in efficiency. It's not even close.
Meyers is the better player. He gets open, has terrific quickness, great hands, very heady, great production. I like Bourne and hope we have them both this season, but when it's 3rd and 6 it's usually Meyers that gets the 1st down.

Meyers is the better player. He gets open, has terrific quickness, great hands, very heady, great production. I like Bourne and hope we have them both this season, but when it's 3rd and 6 it's usually Meyers that gets the 1st down.
Because the coaches want him out there on the field - hence the office politics comment in my original post.

Bourne was a 3rd down guy in SF and was very good, so I wouldn't worry about that. I watched a lot of Bourne when he was in SF and he did a lot of damage in the middle of the field. The potential loss of Meyers is getting overblown by some on here.

Other teams seem to find ways to spend money. This team doesn’t have an all time/ all world QB working at a discount anymore. You’re going to have to spend and figure out the cap

Pretty sure, based on numerous articles, the pats have his value pegged at the 12 million dollar mark... Basically what they gave agholor a few years ago

The main thing that matters is the guarantee.

If they can get out clean by cutting Meyers after two years for $30M, why not? They will still be able to shop next year for a true #1 with guys like Smith, Parker off the books.

The WR's aren't good enough with him. He can basically replace Agholor on the books. I'll take that trade.

I'd pull the trigger for $12 M ... if Meyers will except that.

Meyers actually made Cam Newton competent, throwing to one guy, namely him. Then he made Mac look good with zero time when throwing to one guy, namely him. You want 800 yards, he'll get you 800 yards (and this year, 6 TDs. That's nice.) That's really cruddy compared with some dream, but it's absolutely a tough amount to replace. You know what a good comp would be? JuJu Smith Shuster. Yeah you could replace him. Go get JuJu Smith Shuster. Let's look how that comp stacks up. Sportrac puts Meyers' market value at 12.5M APR on a 4-year, $50M contract. They put the market for JuJu at 14.5M.

We're used to the QB who makes everybody look like an all-pro. This is a QB who needs you in exactly the right place and that's what Meyers gets you. There are glimmers of maybe-kinda-sorta-intriguingness from our other WRs, but Meyers will get you solid 2 numbers, guaranteed. When that's your top contributor, it's certainly not a "money's no object" proposition, but if you can make it happen you do. All he does is carry what there is of our passing game the last 3 years.

Can Mac look elsewhere? (1) Good question but also (2) does he have time to look elsewhere and (3) are plays competently designed to get the ball elsewhere?

We had a potential speed stable last year and could not/would not put it on the field. The one guy that wasn't broken in the aerial offense was Jakobi Meyers. I mean, that said, no that doesn't mean money's no object. But is he giving us good value compared with oh I dunno, Jonnu Smith?

But the market isn't what a website says, it's what someone will pay. If someone will strangely pay 20 mill because he's a great routerunner who mainly catches the ball, mayyyybe we let him go.
Legarm Newton never looked competent as a patriot.

Because the coaches want him out there on the field - hence the office politics comment in my original post.

Bourne was a 3rd down guy in SF and was very good, so I wouldn't worry about that. I watched a lot of Bourne when he was in SF and he did a lot of damage in the middle of the field. The potential loss of Meyers is getting overblown by some on here.
I'll add they are Rookies in the upcoming Draft that are better and have higher ceilings. Meyers will soon be forgotten here like JC Jackson who dat?

I'll add they are Rookies in the upcoming Draft that are better and have higher ceilings. Meyers will soon be forgotten here like JC Jackson who dat?
God you are embarrassing

Bill has demonstrated an ability to keep the pass defense good while rotating CBs and not really paying guys who aren't top tier talents at the position (like Gilmore was), he hasn't demonstrated a similar ability to keep the passing game effective without talent. Meyers has been their best offensive player in the post-Brady era, it's fine if you don't think he's 14-16 million a year good, but to just wave away his production and assume Bill can fill that spot easily sounds kinda foolish to me. My guess is if he's gone you'll miss him every time they punt after an incompletion on third and 6.

Bill has demonstrated an ability to keep the pass defense good while rotating CBs and not really paying guys who aren't top tier talents at the position (like Gilmore was), he hasn't demonstrated a similar ability to keep the passing game effective without talent. Meyers has been their best offensive player in the post-Brady era, it's fine if you don't think he's 14-16 million a year good, but to just wave away his production and assume Bill can fill that spot easily sounds kinda foolish to me. My guess is if he's gone you'll miss him every time they punt after an incompletion on third and 6.
I won't miss him Meyers is overrated here sorry.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back