PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

How do you know we won't have the framework for an extension in place before we make the trade?

See above
Because you won't. You seriously believe the Pats are going to offer him something that would make him pass up free agency? Given the current market for high-end WRs?

Because you won't. You seriously believe the Pats are going to offer him something that would make him pass up free agency? Given the current market for high-end WRs?
In which case, I'd rather pay him top-of-the market next year in FA and use the draft pick this year to get a damn good tackle or a damn good CB.

Agreed. This is gravy after considering the other picks.

MITCHELL - a STer play 2/3 of the ST reps, so a role even as a rookie.

HINES - We'll see; he will be one of our IOL prospects, saving a 2023 pick.

RUSSEY, ROBERTS, STEUBER, HARRIS - will compete for 53 roster spots; personally, I hope that we have better when the cut-off comes.

I remember the sports reporters saying Roberts is a very large man. He might be a keeper. Russey bench pressed a ridiculous amount, and fits the profile the Pats like to use for a Center - same profile as Andrews but stronger and stouter. Harris ran well in his limited chances - we could do a lot worse for RB #3 or #4. We need a 3rd down RB, or two, to complete for the 53 before we look to replace Harris IMO.

But if the Patriots had Drafted Tee Higgins or even Lamar Jackson and they hit FA based on their production we would be all over the organization to Tag and keep them. But when it's the other way around let's just pass: hypocrites can't have it both ways. :rolleyes:

But if the Patriots had Drafted Tee Higgins or even Lamar Jackson and they hit FA based on their production we would be all over the organization to Tag and keep them. But when it's the other way around let's just pass: hypocrites can't have it both ways. :rolleyes:
I have no idea what you're on about now. We didn't draft Higgins and thank god we didn't draft Jackson.

So, Pats are working out Slade Bolden - so funny how many were interested in him in the draft last year, then he disappears and we might get him after all. Not sure he answers the need - but the news shows that BB agrees with me... A true slot WR is what we're missing. Meyers & Bourne don't count in that Edelman mold - we need a shorter, really quick, twitchy guy.

Players accept extensions before hitting FA because they are concerned an injury can end their careers tomorrow

I have no idea what you're on about now. We didn't draft Higgins and thank god we didn't draft Jackson.
Typical would have a better chance getting blood from a stone. :rolleyes:

Some Teams get excited about Draft picks on Draft day and unlike us the Bengals know how to draft WR's.

They definitely hit the 2nd round better than we do on them

Higgins and Boyd were both 2nd rounders, but Chase was 6th overall and i hope we never have to draft that high

So, you're going to blow draft capital to rent a player you almost certainly won't be able to resign? Because if you can't resign Meyers you sure as hell aren't going to resign Higgins as UFA. And you KNOW he'll go to UFA with one year left on his deal.

its all about choosing which players you want to dump a chunk of your cap into.. Higgins is an elite talent that is worth taking a shot on, especially at a position that has been such a dire need as WR

So if you trade a 1st for him, then you have to go all in and secure him long term. With Brandin Cooks, i think we got him in year 4 and then traded him on his 5th year after exercising the option (only going off memory), but we wouldnt be able to do the same with Higgins because we'd have to franchise tag him to trade and no one would give up a 1st without that 1 extra rookie year built in

So, Pats are working out Slade Bolden - so funny how many were interested in him in the draft last year, then he disappears and we might get him after all.

We had lots of opportunity as he went undrafted, got signed as free agent and then got injured and released and went unclaimed. Only difference now from last year is that he has worked with O'Brian.

The one thing that concerns me about Higgins is that he's not a YAC guy getting under 4 yards per reception. He's a very good 50/50 guy and plays the position like a basketball player. However, is he the right guy for Mac's skill set? Mac needs a guy who can take shorter to intermediate passes and do damage after the catch.

an elite outside WR opens up other players on the short and intermediate routes

We haven't had that type of player since Randy Moss really, but Brady made it work with lots of smaller, shiftier guys

Most of the potent offenses have an elite weapon on the outside with exception of KC, who I thought would torpedo offensively after losing Tyreek Hill but they were still legit, which is annoying.. they have Kelce who is hall of fame talent, blows my mind that he was open as much as he was this year... id have done like what BB did to Tony Gonzalez and just double bracket cover him

and they seem to have hit on yet another RB in Pichacho

Last edited:
So, Pats are working out Slade Bolden - so funny how many were interested in him in the draft last year, then he disappears and we might get him after all. Not sure he answers the need - but the news shows that BB agrees with me... A true slot WR is what we're missing. Meyers & Bourne don't count in that Edelman mold - we need a shorter, really quick, twitchy guy.
That dude is in the draft, and he's my draft Beankie.

A mid level guy in FA Parker will not he hard to replaced. His arrow is pointing down I hope Thornton or Bourne pushes down the depth chart.
In this case I'm not talking about the difficulty of finding a better WR, I'm talking about are you actually saving $$$ by cutting Parker when only a #2 WR costs 15-20m dollars per year now.

It's not an actual 'cap savings' if the guy you have to bring in to replace him costs TWICE as much, you savvy?

I remember the sports reporters saying Roberts is a very large man. He might be a keeper. Russey bench pressed a ridiculous amount, and fits the profile the Pats like to use for a Center - same profile as Andrews but stronger and stouter. Harris ran well in his limited chances - we could do a lot worse for RB #3 or #4. We need a 3rd down RB, or two, to complete for the 53 before we look to replace Harris IMO.
fair enough on the RB's

As of now our 3rd down back Stephenson, Strong and Montgomery.

I have much more concern with who carries the #1/#2 load, especially if Stephenson has to sit out some reps or even games.

I expect us to draft a RB in the 4th.

In this case I'm not talking about the difficulty of finding a better WR, I'm talking about are you actually saving $$$ by cutting Parker when only a #2 WR costs 15-20m dollars per year now.

It's not an actual 'cap savings' if the guy you have to bring in to replace him costs TWICE as much, you savvy?
You think that you can replace Parker for LESS than $6M?

You're making my point for me. In this crazy market for wide receivers, cutting Parker is unlikely to result in a 'cap savings' if his replacement ends up costing twice as much.
I certainly agree.

I would hope the new OC takes much better advantage of the three WR's that we have and the two TE's. We don't need a $15m-$25M AAV receivers to see major improvement. We have a solid corp of 5 receivers.

That being said, we need to bring in another, who could be worked in with who we have. And, I guess that all the teams will be drafting WR's every year and hoping to find a WR at great savings from what it costs for a veteran.

The one thing that concerns me about Higgins is that he's not a YAC guy getting under 4 yards per reception. He's a very good 50/50 guy and plays the position like a basketball player. However, is he the right guy for Mac's skill set? Mac needs a guy who can take shorter to intermediate passes and do damage after the catch.
Can't have it all, all the time. He's not the most versatile guy but great at what he does. And that's something Bill has gone overboard in the past. It's ok to not have the most versatile guys in the league at every spot. Higgins has been underutilized, still produces. So you know you're likely to get roi. We've missed a true slot, we've also missed a true X as much though. And teams have packed the MOF two years in a row now bc they know he lives there.

I love Meyers but we've seen and know his ceiling. Much respect to him. He deserves we he gets. I want him back but would let him walk at 15 per.

Also this isn't the draft I'm clutching onto 14 if I'm happy with my QB.

One thing we fail to understand is with opposing defensive teams knowing what we are going to do Meyers still came up trumps with high catch % .

With such a bad offensive line Meyers was still legit. With Cam he was able to shine, Mac rookie campaign still shone bright and with Patricia even performed better .

15 million seems high , but are we undervaluing his presence . Probably he is the best WR2 money can buy. We are in this position because we couldn't draft a Wr1 not trade for 1 . I also don't think Higgins or cooks are a Wr1.

If Meyers gets 20 million we cannot do much , but at 13 -15 we should at least try to put an offer and if need be relieve Trent brown . Next year we will not be overpaying for tight ends. So we can definitely afford Meyers in future . We should have extended him last season . That was a mistake on our end.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back