PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

I wrote this in the general free agency thread, but it is probably more appropriate here:

I don't get Andrew Callahan. He says the Pats' big splash in free agency should be to retain Jakobi Meyers even if it costs $15-17 million a year. I just don't get it. Meyers is a good player, but he really isn't what O'Brien likes in a receiver. O'Brien wants receivers to get open quickly and get YAC. Under McDaniels, Meyers struggled with a lot of bread and butter Patriots routes especially rub routes. He was not good at bringing the defender to a spot quickly that they would be picked by another receiver or defender.

I don't mind bringing him back at like $12 million a year. But if he is the biggest free agent acquisition, this offseason is a failure.
They honestly need to retain him and then add one explosive guy. That would be a massive win. I don't think people realize that he's been their most valuable guy on third down, and they really don't have another inside receiver at this point to pick up that slack.

They honestly need to retain him and then add one explosive guy. That would be a massive win. I don't think people realize that he's been their most valuable guy on third down, and they really don't have another inside receiver at this point to pick up that slack.
@Ian: JSN - Flowers - Downs - Parker Washington - Jayden Reed and Tank Dell look like they could all flourish in the Slot from Day 1. All are more Explosive than Meyers right now and we could get any Two in combination I'm greedy.

Everyone wants Meyers back. It's really comes down to a question of his price tag and compared to what an elite WR (Higgins) would demand.

Everyone wants Meyers back. It's really comes down to a question of his price tag and compared to what an elite WR (Higgins) would demand.
That's my concern. If it goes north of $15 million, he'll be gone.

Honestly it blows my mind how people think we can still do business like Tom Brady is the QB.

Meyers is the receiver Mac trust the most if your goal is to maximize Mac then resigning him should be at the top of your priority on offense. Meyers is a known commodity for us. If we need to overpay by 3M to keep him so be it. Losing him would more detrimental to the team than overpaying by 3M.

We have no guarantee that we will be able to sign or trade for another receiver and that said receiver will click with Mac or be able to fit in.

north of 12m is my concern...
Agree. I think $12m AAV or north of $25m in guarantees is the tipping point.

I was thinking that at least at $15 million, they could manipulate the guaranteed money and possibly keep him at a lower number. I don't think they can if it goes higher than that.

I was thinking that at least at $15 million, they could manipulate the guaranteed money and possibly keep him at a lower number. I don't think they can if it goes higher than that.
If you want to pay him $15aav his guarantees will need to be $35-$45m at around at 5yrs so at 31 he'll be a $0 dead money and maybe they can work out a short-term extension if he is performing like JE11.

If you want to pay him $15aav his guarantees will need to be $35-$45m at around at 5yrs so at 31 he'll be a $0 dead money and maybe they can work out a short-term extension if he is performing like JE11.
We have some $$$$ now with Jonno Smith gone if Meyers accepts $12Mill I am sure we can more than work that out. :cool:

Ok after watching the tapes and doing the evaluations maybe Bob likes J Meyers it wouldn't be far fetched. We can all agree there wasn't much to like about Jonnu and Bob agreed.

C'mon Jakobi...

go-for-it-you-can-do-it.gif

Honestly it blows my mind how people think we can still do business like Tom Brady is the QB.

Meyers is the receiver Mac trust the most if your goal is to maximize Mac then resigning him should be at the top of your priority on offense. Meyers is a known commodity for us. If we need to overpay by 3M to keep him so be it. Losing him would more detrimental to the team than overpaying by 3M.

We have no guarantee that we will be able to sign or trade for another receiver and that said receiver will click with Mac or be able to fit in.
Not even just Mac. Jakobi's 1st game with Zappe (after being out for 2 games due to injury), he went 7rec for 111yds and a TD. The guy simply knows how to get open.

Not even just Mac. Jakobi's 1st game with Zappe (after being out for 2 games due to injury), he went 7rec for 111yds and a TD. The guy simply knows how to get open.
Now I get the feeling they are trying to keep J Meyers glad that deadwood Jonno is gone baby gone. :cool:

Myers at north of 12 million isn't worth it. Use draft capital for Cooks and Hopkins if possible. I'm not as high on Myers as others so I might be a little biased. I like the guy as a solid #3 but shouldn't be a 1 or 2 on a good team.

So curious what Meyer's agent is hearing today. I really believe they have a deal where they'll give NE every opportunity to match whatever they get on the market.

How? He's never had as good a season as either of Meyers's last two.
In 2021 he had 800 playing 33% of the offensive snaps. I call that a pretty good year. He's a MUCH more dynamic player than Meyers, but clearly not as reliable. Let's see if BOB can make a difference.

It's always interesting what former Pats players fetch on the open market. I'm very curious about what the other 31 teams think of Meyers.

It's always interesting what former Pats players fetch on the open market. I'm very curious about what the other 31 teams think of Meyers.
I think they are currently working on a deal with Meyers: Deadwood Jonno is gone.

north of 12m is my concern...
What about South of $12M?

Seems that $10M AAV and/or north of $20M in guarantees was Billy's tipping point.

We have some $$$$ now with Jonno Smith gone if Meyers accepts $12Mill I am sure we can more than work that out. :cool:
Meyers obviously would've accept that; Billy, OTOH...

Myers at north of 12 million isn't worth it.
The League has spoken, and agrees with you.

I like the guy as a solid #3 but shouldn't be a 1 or 2 on a good team.
Agreed; still, if he had come to me and said he would accept from us what he accepted from McD, I would've been reaching for the first pen I could find.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back