PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

I threw up in my mouth a little.
Meyers is a system WR.
Great story undrafted to focal point of offense but he gets erased by a teams number 1 DB easily on man to man.
But this is the going rate for the type of wr you mentioned. I view him as a #2. That wouldn’t be much more than what we gave agholor and Meyers is much better.

I think he'd prefer to stay and would give the team a final look, but agree the number will be too high.

Not much worse.
You have not been watching too many patriots teams. Eh?

Thorton will be better and should offer a true deep threat this year. Patricia used Thorton like a possession Wr. Stupid as faulk. Those shot wr screens will go to Bourn instead if myers....another stupid as faulk call by Patricia, expecting a slow receiver to make people miss.

Parker was fine. This group should be much better with competent coaching.

Add in Henry and better OL protection and we will see a decent passing game.

Is it good for Myers because you want him here?

If he finds a situation he likes, he has no reason to negotiate with the patriots, the jets or anyone else.
Right, but if he finds a situation he likes, he can take that offer to the Pats and get them to up their offer. If they do, he can take it back to the situation he likes and get them to up their offer. I feel like that scene in Life of Brian: "He doesn't want to haggle!?!"

I'd still pass on 12-14m per. Bourne with a competent OC and not one that had a vendetta against him had as good of a season as Meyers has had and costs 5m per. Parker who I know has his injuries but proved to be a good deep ball/contested catch guy makes 7m. Feel like Thornton will be used much better with BOB. Is Meyers really worth per season what Bourne, Parker and Thornton are making combined? I don't think so. I think someone like a JSN or Flowers would be a huge upgrade on Meyers. Even someone like Dell, Mimms, Scott, Rice, etc in the 2nd-3rd I think would be an upgrade

I would much rather let him walk, spend that money elsewhere on OL or Secondary and if JSN or Flowers are there in the 1st get 1 or if not get a CB or OT and then maybe take someone like Dell, Scott, Mimms, Tillman or Rice in the middle rounds

Thorton will be better and should offer a true deep threat this year. Patricia used Thorton like a possession Wr. Stupid as faulk. Those shot wr screens will go to Bourn instead if myers....another stupid as faulk call by Patricia, expecting a slow receiver to make people miss.

There's nobody in that group who demands special attention. You really don't need to double anyone unless Thornton wakes up, which is an if. How many times have we seen guys like Thornton never amount to anything?

It's basically last year's group without the best WR.

So yeah, you can point to the 2006 team and maybe a few others. That why I said "not much worse."

If you have Mahomes or prime Brady, you might make it with this group, but no others. I think even Joe Burrows would struggle.

12-14 isn’t number one wr money in the league today though. You shouldn’t expect a guy making that much to be able to handle number one DBs.
If he agrees 14m a year? I'd pay that, no questions asked... I wouldn't be able to get the contract in front of him fast enough

It would be "so" Patriots to let their QBs favorite target walk and try to replace him with said quarterback's college roommate who got cut from Baltimore's practice squad.

I'd still pass on 12-14m per. Bourne with a competent OC and not one that had a vendetta against him had as good of a season as Meyers has had and costs 5m per. Parker who I know has his injuries but proved to be a good deep ball/contested catch guy makes 7m. Feel like Thornton will be used much better with BOB. Is Meyers really worth per season what Bourne, Parker and Thornton are making combined? I don't think so. I think someone like a JSN or Flowers would be a huge upgrade on Meyers. Even someone like Dell, Mimms, Scott, Rice, etc in the 2nd-3rd I think would be an upgrade

I would much rather let him walk, spend that money elsewhere on OL or Secondary and if JSN or Flowers are there in the 1st get 1 or if not get a CB or OT and then maybe take someone like Dell, Scott, Mimms, Tillman or Rice in the middle rounds
@JMC00: Is that really you??:)
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

We should definitely see at least Two Rookie WR's coming in this year both Parker and Bourne are FA's next year.

This is pretty much how I was suspecting wed play this out. $12m if that ends up being the cost would be reasonable i think, my preference is to splurge on a top wideout if we’re within reach but if not keeping jacoby would be a decent consolation.

agreed, this is the way.

12-14 isn’t number one wr money in the league today though. You shouldn’t expect a guy making that much to be able to handle number one DBs.
This could make him the highest paid skill player on the team. That's pretty bad. He is very replaceable and that money should be allocated elsewhere.

This could make him the highest paid skill player on the team. That's pretty bad. He is very replaceable and that money should be allocated elsewhere.
Don’t both Henry and Jonnu make more than that?

If he agrees 14m a year? I'd pay that, no questions asked... I wouldn't be able to get the contract in front of him fast enough
Perhaps this is reasonable IF AND ONLY IF you think that compensation has been increasing at the rate of inflation.

My gut feel is that WR and QB compensation has been increasing at a faster rate.

Perhaps this is reasonable IF AND ONLY IF you think that compensation has been increasing at the rate of inflation.

My gut feel is that WR and QB compensation has been increasing at a faster rate.
In a reasonable market, he's a 10-12m a year player... The current wr market is not reasonable... Therefore you pay a premium... Its what I would do... but I'm biased... I want him back on our roster

You aren't wrong but the problem is the NEP landing a young WR who actually becomes good happens every other POTUS election year.

Who's Thorton? I've heard of this Thornton guy.

Have you looked at how many WRs bust in the NFL? 2/3rds of these players mentioned won't make it at all. We're talking about a guy who has been productive year after year, more than every other WR in your post. There's a reason Bourne only got $5m on the open market.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back