PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's Draft Lottery Time!

Real World

Reaction score
So how many of you think the C's will get the short end of the stick again in the lottery? My guess is that if Oden comes out the C's draft 3rd, and if he doesn't they'll draft 2nd. :(

For your amusement, I've posted the click'o'meter from ESPN. Enjoy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2007/mockdraft

Did it 10 times, and the Celts came up with #1 or #2 5 times, those ain't bad odds.. wait and see.

Did it 10 times, and the Celts came up with #1 or #2 5 times, those ain't bad odds.. wait and see.

when do they do the ping pong balls?

When reckoning the odds for the Celtics getting Oden there is a tendency to assume that the first selection will invariably be Oden. In fact, even if the Celtics get the first lottery selection (19.9% lottery weighting) and because of Jefferson (and Perk) they may choose Durant. This same dilemma affects all of the 14 teams in the lottery. In a sense Oden is competing at the center position with Gasol (Memphis), Jefferson, Bogut (Milwaukee, and the number 1 selected in the 2005 draft), Stoudemire (Phoenix), Okafor (Charlotte) and nine others. Some analysts give Durant as much as a 35% possibility of being the first selected in the draft. I think it’s more like 25% Durant. This means that there is a chance that the Celts could get Oden with the second selection (18.8% lottery weighting). Assigning a 90% probability that the Celtics would choose Oden with the first selection [(0.9)x(0.199)] plus the probability of selecting him with the second lottery position if still available, [(0.25)x(0.188)] gives about a 23% chance of landing Oden. There’s a (19.9% + 18.8%) = 38.7% chance of landing either Durant or Oden.

Oden and Durant together cover the 2 through 5 positions very well, and I don’t know of a PG available in the draft that’s likely to be taken first or second.

I got Oden 36% in the ESPN mock draft. Maybe the Celtics should have Tom Hiensohn stay home, and send me to Secausus for the lottery.

I'd be ecstatic with the 1 or 2 pick. Durant or Oden. Personally I like Durant alot better but I'd be more than happy with Oden. Ofcourse we aren't going to get either. We had 2 high lottery picks back with Duncan and we got jinxed back then too.

There is no way on God's green earth that the C's would take Durant over Oden. I love Durant and think he'll be a 10 time all-star and franchise player, but you don't pass up a franchise center like Oden. They come along once every 8-10 years.

There is no way on God's green earth that the C's would take Durant over Oden. I love Durant and think he'll be a 10 time all-star and franchise player, but you don't pass up a franchise center like Oden. They come along once every 8-10 years.

YOU (and I) would pick Oden, but there's nothing in God's green earths that certain! As you say, Durant is very solid and could make an immediate contribution. Odds are the Celtics will get neither (so sad).

If we get a late pick I think Hibbert is a really good center (no where near as good as Oden) but still really good.

YOU (and I) would pick Oden, but there's nothing in God's green earths that certain! As you say, Durant is very solid and could make an immediate contribution. Odds are the Celtics will get neither (so sad).

I'm totally convinced that they will get the 3rd pick. It won't be the 5th, or the 4th, it'll be the 3rd pick because there are only two special guys in this draft. :(

Anyhow, saw this online, and I thought it was funny.

cavedoc.jpg

If the Celtics get Oden Boston could be looking at three World Champions in one year. The least likely team of the three to win, the Celtics. Oden in time will be a complete player. Even in his rookie year, he'll be very good. Foul him and he'll make his free throws. Heck, he shot a high percentage using his left hand. Jefferson had his break-out year, he's only going to get better. They double team Jefferson and Pierce is going to burn them. What team in the East is going to challenge them? Durant would be a plus, but would not give the assets of Oden, nor the chemistry. If they get the third pick, I'll vomit. There is no one close to these guys. The third player I see as coming on strong and being a force (not in the same league as these guys) is Brewer. So please Lord, give us some of that 60's love.

If the Celtics get Oden Boston could be looking at three World Champions in one year. The least likely team of the three to win, the Celtics. Oden in time will be a complete player. Even in his rookie year, he'll be very good. Foul him and he'll make his free throws. Heck, he shot a high percentage using his left hand. Jefferson had his break-out year, he's only going to get better. They double team Jefferson and Pierce is going to burn them. What team in the East is going to challenge them? Durant would be a plus, but would not give the assets of Oden, nor the chemistry. If they get the third pick, I'll vomit. There is no one close to these guys. The third player I see as coming on strong and being a force (not in the same league as these guys) is Brewer. So please Lord, give us some of that 60's love.

Scout, your on the money. Oden is one of those game changing, franchise centers that comes around once every 8-10 years. Having him and Jefferson up front for 10 years would be insane. Of course, that's why we'll pick 3rd. :(

So how many of you think the C's will get the short end of the stick again in the lottery? My guess is that if Oden comes out the C's draft 3rd, and if he doesn't they'll draft 2nd. :(

For your amusement, I've posted the click'o'meter from ESPN. Enjoy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2007/mockdraft

If there is a draft lottery god, he owes us big time....

I know there are plenty of good players out there, but to be honest, I think it's #1, #2, or bust. It's so hard to get out of the kind of rut they have been in for nearly two decades - mediocrity which begets mediocrity. The NBA is a bytch that way.

I'm totally convinced that they will get the 3rd pick. It won't be the 5th, or the 4th, it'll be the 3rd pick because there are only two special guys in this draft. :(

Anyhow, saw this online, and I thought it was funny.

cavedoc.jpg

we WILL get the first or second pick
positive thinkin

btw, that pic is hilarious

If there is a draft lottery god, he owes us big time....

I know there are plenty of good players out there, but to be honest, I think it's #1, #2, or bust. It's so hard to get out of the kind of rut they have been in for nearly two decades - mediocrity which begets mediocrity. The NBA is a bytch that way.

supposedly ainge has made it clear that if we get the number three pick we will trade it in a package to get a vet, in the garnett, gasol, o'neal mold
whatever happens, we'd better not trade big al

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back