PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It's After Midnight - Time To Discuss Day 2

The more I think about it, the more I want Bruce Ellington at 62 (or with a slight trade down). He won't be available at 93.

He's a huge binky of mine. People will say he doesn't fit our needs, another short slot guy etc but in my eyes he's just one of the best players that will be left at 62. He could be a steal as a Austin/Cobb/Harvin type playmaker. There is huge room for development there.

As mentioned earlier, would also be happy with a C like Richburg or TE like Niklas.

Manx mentioned Attaochu and I agree as I've been banging that drum for a month or so now. Along with Easley and Donald he's got one of the best get offs in the draft. He's not great against the run at this point but boy can he get to the QB quickly.

If we were to draft a LB, what style of LB would you want? I'm thinking someone similar to Mayo, but a bit faster and better at covering. Which LB do you think that would be?

Smart and Versatile. We would need him to be able to back up all three positions capably, if not excellently. Preston Brown, maybe. Yawin Smallwood, Christian Jones, Jordan Tripp might be other possibilities.

The more I think about it, the more I want Bruce Ellington at 62 (or with a slight trade down). He won't be available at 93.

He's a huge binky of mine. People will say he doesn't fit our needs, another short slot guy etc but in my eyes he's just one of the best players that will be left at 62. He could be a steal as a Austin/Cobb/Harvin type playmaker. There is huge room for development there.

I'll see your Bruce Ellington and raise you a Dri Archer. :)

Christian kirksey if you want a genuine LB, KPL if you want someone smaller and more explosive. There aren't many Mayo types available this year. Jordan Tripp is probably the closest.

Patchick won't agree but i'm intrigued by Van Noy and Joyner today. Van Noy gives us a backup LB but also an edge presence and Joyner strengthens this backfield even further and will allow us to move on from Arrington next year. more to the point, both are perfect BB players. I don't think we'll draft either but I'm starting to like the idea more and more.

I'm starting to think I like an OG/C with our 2nd, and Telvin Smith with our 3rd. I was hoping there would be an LB that plays in space worth taking in the 2nd, butmaybe only Shazier and Mosley were that kind of LB.

I'm starting to think I like an OG/C with our 2nd, and Telvin Smith with our 3rd. I was hoping there would be an LB that plays in space worth taking in the 2nd, butmaybe only Shazier and Mosley were that kind of LB.

Smith isn't a bad shout. I think I prefer KPL though. more explosive.

Things could get interesting early:

Wow, there is a lot of interest from teams in moving up into the top 40 for tonight. We’ll see some action. Watch the Cowboys on Kony Ealy.

Ian Rappaport

plently of good players left. wasn't crazy about the pick but can't say I dislike it, obviously knees are an issue but the team has more knowledge on the medical specifics than we do, I'm excited for what he can bring to this team, I'd like to see a TE and a G or OLB here in the 2nd and 3rd.

Things could get interesting early:

Ian Rappaport

What's with everyone slotting big (270 lbs+) 4-3 DE's to the Cowboys? Wouldn't a speed rusher like Attaochu make more sense? Very interesting none the less.

My favorite 15 prospects for the Patriots entering tonight:

1. Joel Bitonio, OL, Nevada
2. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OL, UCLA
3. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
4. Kyle Van Noy, LB, Brigham Young
5. Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech
6. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
7. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
8. Marcus Martin, OC, Southern California
9. Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
10. Trai Turner, OG, Tennessee
11. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
12. Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
13. Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
14. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
15. CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa

No defensive linemen because I think Easley's versatility means the Pats can wait if they want to add another DT or DE. No WRs because I think the Pats are pretty set with what they've got; let's face it, they've invested a ton of resources into the position the past two years. No safeties because I don't like any of them at this point and I think Logan Ryan is getting shifted to safety, anyway.

I don't agree that they've invested a ton of resources in receivers. A couple of mid round draft picks and Amendola, who may only be here for the next year. They've invested just as much at offensive line and safety but we still talk about those as areas of need.

Best-case scenario for me would be at 62: one of TEs ASJ, Amaro or Nicklas; or one of DEs Kareem Martin, Trent Murphy or Scott Crichton; or one of OLmen Bitonio, XSF, Marcus Martin or Trai Turner.
At 93: TE CJF, or C/Gs Weston Richburg, Russell Bodine or Travis Swanson.

Last edited:
Favorite day of the Draft coming up.

I don't agree that they've invested a ton of resources in receivers. A couple of mid round draft picks and Amendola, who may only be here for the next year. They've invested just as much at offensive line and safety but we still talk about those as areas of need.
Amendola, Edelman, and LaFell all got fairly large free agent contracts. And it was only a year ago that they used a 2nd on Dobson and a 4th on Boyce. Take a WR high in the draft, and you almost guarantee one of those five guys doesn't make the team. I'd rather see them take a shot at WR later in the draft if someone they like falls to the 6th or 7th round.

Amendola, Edelman, and LaFell all got fairly large free agent contracts. And it was only a year ago that they used a 2nd on Dobson and a 4th on Boyce. Take a WR high in the draft, and you almost guarantee one of those five guys doesn't make the team. I'd rather see them take a shot at WR later in the draft if someone they like falls to the 6th or 7th round.

Personally I disagree.

Amendola's is the only contract that is prohibitive and he may be gone after this year. We will probably carry 6 receivers and there is scope to upgrade Thompkins/Boyce if the right player is there. In addition, Dobson is injured and we don't know how quickly players can recover from these foot injuries.

It actually makes more sense to take a receiver higher to ensure it's an upgrade rather than wait until the 7th round for another camp body. Anyway, to the Patriots it's not about how much they have devoted to the position, it's about how much a player is an upgrade over what they already have. If they think, say, Davante Adams or Moncrief are a huge upgrade over Boyce/Thompkins and can develop into a No 1 then they should take them regardless. Caserio said as much the other day when he said you don't want to start turning good players down based purely on need.

I think we have Lafell where we can cut him with minimal impact, and I think it's foolish to think Amendola is going to play more than half the season. If the clear best player on the board is a WR, I wouldn't let numbers at the position keep me from drafting him.

Patchick won't agree but i'm intrigued by Van Noy and Joyner today. Van Noy gives us a backup LB but also an edge presence and Joyner strengthens this backfield even further and will allow us to move on from Arrington next year. more to the point, both are perfect BB players. I don't think we'll draft either but I'm starting to like the idea more and more.

I can't argue with that. Van Noy is a fine football player, it's hard to argue logically against drafting him. Yet something deep in the back of my mind says "nooooooo!"

I can't argue with that. Van Noy is a fine football player, it's hard to argue logically against drafting him. Yet something deep in the back of my mind says "nooooooo!"

Log-ic-al-ly? Is that Italian?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back