PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is this Board Going to Lock up During Every Game? (Thread Reopened)

Re: Is this Board Going to Lock up During Every Game?

(i gave her the $75)

Well then lol, good on ya :) I like hearing stories like that lol. Anyways, we dragged the topic a bit OT, but oh well lol.

come on guy. that's rubbing salt in some pretty sore wounds. a lot of folks can't find jobs in this economy and this board might be a place they come for a few minutes of distraction.
I'm not trying to rub it in at all. Last night when i couldn't get on the forum i was trying to think of a way to solve this. I understand its really hard out there and some people who feel they cannot afford to, but the only solution i could think of was getting more people to join so Ian can afford to up grade. I'm sure there are a number of people on this forum that 18 bucks wouldn't be a hardship. Those are the people i'm really talking about. At the same time i agree with Darryl people who are here for free shouldn't be complaining about the service, thats why i made the remark about getting another job.

I like what MO LEWIS ROCKS came up with limit visitors on game day.

Last edited:

I totally respect that "discretionary income" just isn't a reality for plenty of people. But similarly, everybody should realize that Ian puts huge amounts of time, labor and money into this board...and that the better he makes it, the heavier the burden gets as patsfans.com becomes THE gametime destination.

So let's skip the whining on both sides and stick to the constructive suggestions.

The trick with Mo's suggestion of moving the gameday threads to a restricted area is that you still have to keep the hordes from visiting, posting etc. on the main board or you haven't really changed the load. Realistically, 2 parallel game threads would probably arise. Clever ways around this?

let's not hassle folks who might feel that $18 is something they'd rather spend on their kids

Why are kids always more important than adults? :confused:

Well, they're louder. And cuter?

(Realistically, in these contexts "kids" simply symbolize "grownup responsibilities that have to take precedence." Fair enough.)

I totally respect that "discretionary income" just isn't a reality for plenty of people. But similarly, everybody should realize that Ian puts huge amounts of time, labor and money into this board...and that the better he makes it, the heavier the burden gets as patsfans.com becomes THE gametime destination.

So let's skip the whining on both sides and stick to the constructive suggestions.

The trick with Mo's suggestion of moving the gameday threads to a restricted area is that you still have to keep the hordes from visiting, posting etc. on the main board or you haven't really changed the load. Realistically, 2 parallel game threads would probably arise. Clever ways around this?

Yeah, it's not all that cleaver either, it's called having rules and moderators who enforce them... Only members can start threads, and I believe you need a certain minimum number of posts to restrict the trolls. If there are clearcut penalties for breaking the rules and the mods enforce them then there is no competing problem.

So does paying the $18 give someone the right to complain without being called out for it? I think not. Ian is doing the best he can and errors are going to occur. These errors are frustrating for all whether their names are in blue or red. I'm confident things will get worked out.

heh heh...good question...as a dad of six year olds i've concluded that it's their world and i just live in it...not that i'm complaining...:)

I'm not trying to rub it in at all. Last night when i couldn't get on the forum i was trying to think of a way to solve this. I understand its really hard out there and some people who feel they cannot afford to, but the only solution i could think of was getting more people to join so Ian can afford to up grade. I'm sure there are a number of people on this forum that 18 bucks wouldn't be a hardship. Those are the people i'm really talking about. At the same time i agree with Darryl people who are here for free shouldn't be complaining about the service, thats why i made the remark about getting another job.

I like what MO LEWIS ROCKS came up with limit visitors on game day.

i think everyone who posts here has a right to express their concerns about the board and make suggestions for improving it, as long as they do so politely and recognizing the work that goes into making it the great place it is.

agree re MLR's suggestion.

Yeah, it's not all that cleaver either, it's called having rules and moderators who enforce them... Only members can start threads, and I believe you need a certain minimum number of posts to restrict the trolls. If there are clearcut penalties for breaking the rules and the mods enforce them then there is no competing problem.

OK...so as a moderator, how should I enforce a rule against hundreds (thousands?) of users hitting refresh on the game thread over and over? Because that's the bulk of the traffic.

Troll posts are a totally separate issue, they don't crash the server.

I'm guessing a major technology change is what's needed.

E.g., use Media Temple as a hosting company and be lucky enough to be one of the happy customers (they seem to have plenty of each kind).

Or create some kind of chat-like thread outside of the BB software altogether.

I'm guessing a major technology change is what's needed.

E.g., use Media Temple as a hosting company and be lucky enough to be one of the happy customers (they seem to have plenty of each kind).

Or create some kind of chat-like thread outside of the BB software altogether.
Chat was having fits yesterday too, I tried to log in and it didn't know me - and that was when there were only two users logged into the Lobby. I was unable to get in until I tried again in the fourth quarter and got there just as pats1 quit for the night.

I have a wife, and 18mo old and live in southern california. What I don't have is a 6 figure income, and there are more important things in life to me than tossing 18$ to a site I frequent.

Now, that's to say, I fully intend on donating down the road, but do not have the discretionary funds atm.

You missed my point or it may not have come across the correct way from me...

Most of us will buy something Patriots related this year for about $20-$25 (hat/t-shirt/whatever). Why not pay the $18, get the awesome box of stuff from the ProShop, AND help the site out at the same time?

I don't make six figures and I have a wife and family, These boards run on donations, any one who has more then 200 post per year is a free loader if they don't contribute.

$18, I ain't buying the I am too poor to contribute. All you Blues are just cheap.

Last edited:

Oh man, this is too cool. The "Reds" against the "Blues", a social experiment without controls before our very eyes.

I am enjoying the bag of emotions and responses I am going through watching this thread. The feeling of being an outcast by the undertone that I am a cheap jerk for having not donated, coupled with the rebellious Yank within that stubbornly refuses to be browbeaten into a behavior and will refuse payment on principal.

I hope this thing reaches 14 pages before the day is done.

Guess that goes for several people in this thread huh?

Also, your sarcasm detector must be broken. Because the label of "we're better than you crowd" was a sarcastic remark to the responses the OP was getting. So that bolded comment really does apply to several people here.

And you're right, not everyone is in a position to not donate. Some just don't want to, and it was a simple question which didn't require the responses he got. Did it?

Yes, it did. It was my initial thought when I read his post. And your

"we're better than you crowd" comment was not called for.

Now, maybe there are ways to fix the problem that Ian can work on, during his spare time from working a full time job, having responsibilities to a young family and dealing with the numerous problems connected with this site, of which the over use of people during games is just one of them. (Note the sarcasm).

Having people, who can, support the site will give him more options. Again, not everyone can spend the money to support the site, but those who have should not be mocked. And there is nothing wrong with who do support the site, should be bringing up the fact that others who can, should consider doing so.

Maybe this thread should now be closed?

Last edited:

Yes, it did. It was my initial thought when I read his post. And your

"we're better than you crowd" comment was not called for.

Now, maybe there are ways to fix the problem that Ian can work on, during his spare time from working a full time job, having responsibilities to a young family and dealing with the numerous problems connected with this site, of which the over use of people during games is just one of them. (Note the sarcasm).

Having people, who can, support the site will give him more options. Again, not everyone can spend the money to support the site, but those who have should not be mocked. And there is nothing wrong with who do support the site, should be bringing up the fact that others who can, should consider doing so.

Maybe this thread should now be closed?

There is something wrong with them deriding those who haven't donated to a free site, however.

Last edited:

Not everyone needs to contribute, just don't complain if you don't. Especially when you receive $40 in merchandise plus coupons after donating.

I don't make six figures and I have a wife and family, These boards run on donations, any one who has more then 200 post per year is a free loader if they don't contribute.

$18, I ain't buying the I am too poor to contribute. All you Blues are just cheap.
I'm a feeloader. I budget my money where I feel it will do the most good for my family, as I'm sure Ian does for his. I'm happy for him and his passion for NE football, and I'm happy to participate and try to make his site successful through my participation. I would kindly request we not choose to second guess each other over our financial choices, we're here to discuss a shared enjoyment of football and to share our interest with others of like mind. I thank Ian for his time, effort, and commitment, but if this were a pay site, I'd probably not spend my time here - Ian has already made a decision about how he wants to work around that issue, let's respect him and each other and not get into name calling over how we spend out money - or at the very least take it to the political forum where it belongs.

I never I was poor. And I'd garner a bet that the COL is higher where I'm at than where you live. I said I have things I'd rather spend my money on, and my discretionary funds aren't up to part atm. Or do you just throw money away on stuff that doesn't affect your everyday life all the time?

That's what I mean by discretionary funds. I've got goals, dreams and other more important (to me) aspirations for my money. Freeloader? Were donations the norm when you joined? The answer should be no, because they weren't when I did, and I joined after you. Also, the rest of the internet also take money to run, and hardware to upkeep, should we be donating to every site we frequent?

So please forgive me if I feel that I'd rather put some extra effort in paying of a little more debt, or buy my 18mo old a new toy etc... There ARE people that are legitimately unable to put the 18$ up right now, and as has been stated, it's pretty effed up to just lump people into a "cheap" category, because they don't either A) have the money, or B) choose to be more frugal right now.

Would you like a cookie for being **** of the year?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back