PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is the NFL doing the right thing????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels that the NFL is operating on a double standard with Michael Vick?? Sure, it's easy to get tough with a Tank Johnson or another obscure player or even a many incident involved player like Pacman, but when it comes to a star like Vick, it's an obvious wait and see situation.

I would say wait and see IF the allegations were that he was at a dogfight or even involved once or twice...HARDLY what the allegations are. The facts are that SOMETHING was going on on his property and dogs both alive and dead were found there as well. THOSE are facts. Some may see it as Vick's first incident, but we are talking about incidents over many years, multiple offenses of the law. The fact that he lied to the commissioner only makes this evening worse. So, the commissioner who was supposed to show the public how tough he is has wimped out and showing that his crackdown is dependent on many things...a prima donna star can do MANY things more and still be playing. I think Goodell who claims he wishes the league be cleaned up has indeed soiled the image of the league with his non-actions. Shame on him!!! If he had guts, Vick would be suspended while the league investigates all of this, from the dogfighting, to his lies, to the gambling side of it all.

I think over the next few days people should make their feelings known to the NFL office on this. And yes, if you think the Commish has done the right thing, certainly let the NFL office know that.

My sense is that the NFL needs to know how the public feels on this.

The NFL public relations number is 212-450-2000.

I really think they are caught up here with wanting to suspend him versus allowing due process to run its course.

Remember, the Feds never lose a case when they indict, so it is only a matter of time for the scumbag.

The best suggestion I have heard is to suspend him with pay, until the matter is resolved, then ban him for life.

Am I the only one who feels that the NFL is operating on a double standard with Michael Vick?? Sure, it's easy to get tough with a Tank Johnson or another obscure player or even a many incident involved player like Pacman, but when it comes to a star like Vick, it's an obvious wait and see situation.

I would say wait and see IF the allegations were that he was at a dogfight or even involved once or twice...HARDLY what the allegations are. The facts are that SOMETHING was going on on his property and dogs both alive and dead were found there as well. THOSE are facts. Some may see it as Vick's first incident, but we are talking about incidents over many years, multiple offenses of the law. The fact that he lied to the commissioner only makes this evening worse. So, the commissioner who was supposed to show the public how tough he is has wimped out and showing that his crackdown is dependent on many things...a prima donna star can do MANY things more and still be playing. I think Goodell who claims he wishes the league be cleaned up has indeed soiled the image of the league with his non-actions. Shame on him!!! If he had guts, Vick would be suspended while the league investigates all of this, from the dogfighting, to his lies, to the gambling side of it all.

I think over the next few days people should make their feelings known to the NFL office on this. And yes, if you think the Commish has done the right thing, certainly let the NFL office know that.

I agree with you. I will call.

I would say wait and see IF the allegations were that he was at a dogfight or even involved once or twice...HARDLY what the allegations are. The facts are that SOMETHING was going on on his property and dogs both alive and dead were found there as well. THOSE are facts. Some may see it as Vick'sfirst incident, but we are talking about incidents over many years, multiple offenses of the law. The fact that he lied to the Commisionor only makes this evening worse. So, the Commisionor who was supposed to show the public how tough he is has wimped out and showing that his crackdown is dependent on many things...a prima donna star can do MANY things more and still be playing. I think Goodell who claims he wishes the league be cleaned up has indeed soiled the image of the league with his non-actions. Shame on him!!! If he had guts, Vick would be suspended while the league investigates all of this, from the dogfighting, to his lies, to the gambling side of it all.
Me sense is that the NFL needs to know how the public feels on this.

I think he's guilty, and I can't understand why the NFL is willing to let this play out. When an indictment comes out, it kinda let's you know they have a pretty good case against him and his cohorts. What Vick, his family and friends did was inhumane, cruel and despicable. I'm making the call.

Innocent until proven guilty. Until Vick has actually been convicted of something, I don’t think they can act.

IMO I hope they lock him up and boot him from the NFL for LIFE!!

It's been a couple days. If Goodell acts too quickly his action comes off as reactionary.

It should also be noted that Vick hasn't been convicted. This shouldn't preclude Goodell from suspending him, but it should play into how the situation is handled. Action taken w/o a conviction needs to be thorough and well thought-out. Any suspension will be appealed and needs to stand up to appeal.

The feds waited to indict until they had all of their ducks in a row, and I hope Goodell is doing the same.

I think they are somewhat hamstrung by their own new personal conduct policy. In order to be able to act on some of these guys, the NFL got to NFLPA to sign off on a policy of not requiring actual convictions or even arrests necessarily but rather basing their action on the frequency with which these players come in contact with the police. Vick doesn't really fit the profile. But I think what they are counting on is this will prove to be so disruptive for him and the Falcons that the league won't have to step in. The last thing they want to do right now is make some sort of union martyr out of him. He has almost no one in his corner right now, and they prefer it to remain that way. He's facing charges in a federal court system that has a 95% conviction rate and his case is being heard in one of the swiftest venues within that system. He could be on trial in as little as 4-6 months.

It's a tough call... if the NFL punished Vick right now and then he was aquitted on all charges, they would be open to a lot of serious bad publicity - not to mention some serious lawsuits.

However, one thing the NFL has consistently done is proceed with the knowledge that the uniforms and logos are more important than the men who wear 'em. I don't think Vick is getting any sort of special treatment. The indictments only came down a couple days ago... the regular season is still 8 weeks away... no need to rush into any sort of action.

Keep in mind that Vick has only been indicted and not officially charged with crimes. The other players Goodell took action against had been charged. IMO when/if charges are filed and some hard evidence is made public, Goodell will react accordingly.

I think they'd be wise to suspend him for the season just to avoid the zoo that will surround him if he plays. Once he's found guilty they won't have to worry about him for a long time.

Remember, the Feds never lose a case when they indict, so it is only a matter of time for the scumbag.

Uhh...what?

An indictment is probably the easiest standard to reach in Law Enforcement.

And the Feds have lost plenty of cases after indictment.

There is no doubt that his innocence or guilt will be found out in the next months and he does need his day in court. Everyone needs that. But until that time, the NFL could suspend him. I agree they need to go forward with something that will stand up, but at this time saying they will not suspend him is skirting the issue. Suspend him pending their OWN investigation. What is wrong with that? There should be enough to suspend him given how he lied to commish. Goodell said he wants to clean things up and inprove the image of the NFL. By not doing anything or even saying they will wait and make a decision while investigation is going on, is making it a PR nightmare. Even by doing that simple thing, it leaves suspension open. Now, it looks like he is making a double standard, punishing and being tough on some and not others and NOT doing teh right thing. That he will be pushed into it is NOT good for the NFL. If he's so interested in the image of the NFL, I think he has blown it on this one. I agree he's trying to play fair and it is NOT easy, but if he showed some guts and suspended him, it would show a lot more seriousness in his toughness.

Uhh...what?

Actually from what I read, this group has a 90% conviction rate.

Uhh...what?

They apparently have a 95% conviction rate going up against some of the heaviest hitters to face a judicial system. Those are pretty good odds.

First of all, Tank Johnson is not an obscure player. Secondly, I agree that Vick shouldn't get special treatment. Thirdly, I TOTALLY DISAGREE that he is getting special treatment. Hold your horses, for God's sake. Give the NFL a second. Both Pac Man AND Tank Johnson had WAAAAAAY more time pass than a few days pass before the hammer came down. Relax.

I didn't know there was a difference between being indicted and charged. You learn something new every day.

I disagree, though, that there is no harm in letting this play out a bit before the NFL acts. The regular season may be seven weeks away, but public opinion is being formed now. It's not a particularly proud moment for football fans.

Keep in mind that Vick has only been indicted and not officially charged with crimes. The other players Goodell took action against had been charged. IMO when/if charges are filed and some hard evidence is made public, Goodell will react accordingly.
The fact that it was at his house?? That ogs dead and alive were found there?? The fact that blood was all over the place and that all kinds of dog fighting equipment were found there, including 'rape stands"? As I mentioned..if he were accused of being at a dog fight once or twice or had peripheral involvement, I would have no problem with a wait and see attitude. But this is egregious and something gone on for years...a continuing situation. I think there is a matter of degrees in this. Also, the fact that he lied to the commish also HAS to be taken into account.

The NFL doesn't want to jeopardize the fairly unheardof (in a union situation) scope of discretionary authority it has just garnered for this new commissioner. The NFLPA and it members have signed off on it, and to set Vick up as the poster boy to challenge it, to force them to take up his cause, would be devastatingly counterproductive in the long run. Patience grasshoppers, as Box often says...

I The regular season may be seven weeks away, but public opinion is being formed now. It's not a particularly proud moment for football fans.
A proud moment for football fans?? If the NFL does NOT do something how proud can the NFL be of it's actions/non-action? It's a TOTAL nightmare for the NFL PR wise.

It was very easy for the NFL to suspend the Pacman Joneses, the Tank Johnsons, and Chris Henrys. They are unpopular players. The praise Goddell got for it was widespread. It is starting to look like it was a grandstanding PR move, nothing more.

Now when they have one of their marquee guys - a guy on NFL network commericals every commercial break, they are ducking and covering. Vick's been indicted for criminal activity over a 6 year span. Jones if you'll recall had never even been indicted when he was banished for a year (he since has been). Where is the hammer Roger Godell was being praised for weeks ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes