PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is BB betting that the NFL season will not finish due to COVID 19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevrolet

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The roster he has built is truly puzzling. I certainly do not believe he would tank. However, WR, DT, DE, LB and TE groups are extremely surprising to me. Does not feel like he is going all in, more like he is building for 2021.

How can you have a group of WR's who other than Edelman no one has more than 50 career catches. Does that make any sense at all? No run stuffing DT, when there were decent options available. The whole kicker fiasco.

So far the COVID 19 poisoned rate in NFL has been incredibly low, but when travel and games start up beginning this week, perhaps BB does not have confidence that the NFL will make it through the full season? That would explain why he is sitting on all the cap money and has not gone all in with trying to build a team for THIS year with more potential to compete?

The other possibility is he may not truly believe they can compete for a SB this year, so why spend $$, better to wait when they are further along in rebuild process.

The roster he has built is truly puzzling. I certainly do not believe he would tank. However, WR, DT, DE, LB and TE groups are extremely surprising to me. Does not feel like he is going all in, more like he is building for 2021.

How can you have a group of WR's who other than Edelman no one has more than 50 career catches. Does that make any sense at all? No run stuffing DT, when there were decent options available. The whole kicker fiasco.

So far the COVID 19 poisoned rate in NFL has been incredibly low, but when travel and games start up beginning this week, perhaps BB does not have confidence that the NFL will make it through the full season? That would explain why he is sitting on all the cap money and has not gone all in with trying to build a team for THIS year with more potential to compete?

The other possibility is he may not truly believe they can compete for a SB this year, so why spend $$, better to wait when they are further along in rebuild process.
He had no money to spend until there was no one left worth signing (the cap space cane from opt outs)
He has made numerous moves at all of those positions in the last 2 years, evidently he is happy with those moves.

Idk either but what does a 9-7 or 8-8 season get you exactly? I don’t think stidham is a franchise QB. I doubt that cam will be here next season. It eliminates you from getting a franchise QB. He must have really high confidence on these wideouts after edelman.

Patriots were in salary cap hell and are set up great financially for next year. Bill did not seem concerned with players sitting the year out either. He knows that they are not winning the super bowl this year. The thing that has made this year interesting is Cam Newton. I was not thrilled with him coming but it certainly seems like he has been a positive influence this year. I have very low expectations for this year but that could make it more fun to watch.

Patriots were in salary cap hell and are set up great financially for next year. Bill did not seem concerned with players sitting the year out either. He knows that they are not winning the super bowl this year. The thing that has made this year interesting is Cam Newton. I was not thrilled with him coming but it certainly seems like he has been a positive influence this year. I have very low expectations for this year but that could make it more fun to watch.
This year Pats team is a real "surprise" team...yes...fun to watch...we will see...perhaps we will hv good news...never say never

Tough decisions need to be made every year not just a year with "Covid" challenges

IMO, the roster is plenty loaded. I believe:

a.) We have a top 10 offensive line even with Cannon opting out.
b.) We have the best cornerbacks in the league....Gilmore/Jackson/Jones to go along with JMac and Joe Juan.
c.) DMac is still one of the top safeties in the league...and I love Phillips/Brooks/Dugger back there.
d.) I believe we have one of the better RB rooms in the league with Michel/Harris/White/Burkhead and even JJ Taylor on the PS.
e.) Our WR's are sub-par as a whole...but I think Edelman will be healthier this year and don't forget James White is actually our 2nd best WR. We just need N'Keal to play like a first rounder that he SHOULD be. Byrd will at least draw some coverage deep, IMO.
f.) Our TE's have been upgraded which wasn't even hard to do given how bad it was last year.
g.) Jakobi Johnson will help us a lot this year, IMO...or at the very least match what Elandon Roberts gave us last year.
h.) We still have the best ST coverage units in the entire league.
i.) Bailey is probably a top 5 punter as well.
j.) We still have the best coaching staff in the league....this should especially help us during the pandemic. Even our new OL coach is related to Gregg Popovich!
k.) Oh...I almost forgot...we got a certain highly motivated former MVP on an one year prove it deal behind center...

No chance BB is playing for 2021. He is playing for the NOW and 2021 at the same time...he's always a short/long term guy.....

b.) We have the best cornerbacks in the league....Gilmore/Jackson/Jones to go along with JMac and Joe Juan.
c.) DMac is still one of the top safeties in the league...and I love Phillips/Brooks/Dugger back there.
d.) I believe we have one of the better RB rooms in the league with Michel/Harris/White/Burkhead and even JJ Taylor on the PS.
e.) Our WR's are sub-par as a whole...but I think Edelman will be healthier this year and don't forget James White is actually our 2nd best WR. We just need N'Keal to play like a first rounder that he SHOULD be. Byrd will at least draw some coverage deep, IMO.
f.) Our TE's have been upgraded which wasn't even hard to do given how bad it was last year.
g.) Jakobi Johnson will help us a lot this year, IMO...or at the very least match what Elandon Roberts gave us last year.
j.) We still have the best coaching staff in the league....this should especially help us during the pandemic. Even our new OL coach is related to Gregg Popovich!
k.) Oh...I almost forgot...we got a certain highly motivated former MVP on an one year prove it deal behind center...

No chance BB is playing for 2021. He is playing for the NOW and 2021 at the same time...he's always a short/long term guy.....

Not sure about H. The Pats lost more than just Roberts off the coverage unit. On the coverage units, they also lost Bolden and Ebner. It remains to be seen whether or not Maluia, Dugger, Phillips, etc can step in to replace what was lost.

The Pats had an excellent Punt Coverage unit that gave up only 6.25 YPR. The Kick Coverage unit was very good. They only allowed a 20.9 YPR average.

Him being related to Popovich is a negative, not a positive. But that's a personal note and has nothing to do with this football team.

OK, I'll bite.
a) Top 5 will get us somewhere. Top 10 won't. Massive difference when success is measured in SB's.
b) & c) Yes, if anything, you've understated how good this group is.
d) Not until one of them steps forward as a top 10 runner. They are all multitalented but none of them is an above average runner.
e) if/buts/hope for's. The odds are that Edelman will go out for multiple games over the course of the season. Look at that group again without him.
f) The TE talent may have been upgraded, but the production upgrade won't come for at least another year. Rookies with average talent.
g) yes, and that'll matter a wee little bit.
h) maybe, and that'll matter a wee little bit.
i) meh
j) Yup.
k) Yes, and he's the wild card, but will only take it so far.

Imagine if Tom Brady was on the team and this was the final roster?

Billy would get a big fat F for the off season.

Imagine if Tom Brady was on the team and this was the final roster?

Billy would get a big fat F for the off season.
It is also worth noting that Brady not being on the team is costing the Patriots $13,500,000 off the 2020 salary cap.

Add in Antonio Brown ($4,750,000), Stephen Gostkowski ($3,200,000) and Michael Bennett (2,000,000), and that is $23,450,000 of dead money that was unable to be used on free agents for this season.

My guess is that the Pats leaned a bit towards a 'win now' mode the last three years in comparison to how they usually manage the cap, and now they are paying the price this season.

Lost me here LOL :rofl:

OK, I'll bite.
a) Top 5 will get us somewhere. Top 10 won't. Massive difference when success is measured in SB's.
b) & c) Yes, if anything, you've understated how good this group is.
d) Not until one of them steps forward as a top 10 runner. They are all multitalented but none of them is an above average runner.
e) if/buts/hope for's. The odds are that Edelman will go out for multiple games over the course of the season. Look at that group again without him.
f) The TE talent may have been upgraded, but the production upgrade won't come for at least another year. Rookies with average talent.
g) yes, and that'll matter a wee little bit.
h) maybe, and that'll matter a wee little bit.
i) meh
j) Yup.
k) Yes, and he's the wild card, but will only take it so far.

1) Are you suggesting that we will get LESS production at TE than in 2019?
2) The WR are truly bottom third at best. When Edelman is out or injured, we should be bottom 5.

Tough decisions need to be made every year not just a year with "Covid" challenges

But Covid matters a lot because next year the salary cap is going to collapse.

Bill will push so many of the salaries into this year with all that cap space, and teams will begin jettisoning star players in the spring and early summer. These teams with QBs making $40m a year are going to suffer horribly.

This season is going to destroy the careers of Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes as their teams are going to be left threadbare by the carnage to come.

Not sure about H. The Pats lost more than just Roberts off the coverage unit. On the coverage units, they also lost Bolden and Ebner. It remains to be seen whether or not Maluia, Dugger, Phillips, etc can step in to replace what was lost.

The Pats had an excellent Punt Coverage unit that gave up only 6.25 YPR. The Kick Coverage unit was very good. They only allowed a 20.9 YPR average.

Him being related to Popovich is a negative, not a positive. But that's a personal note and has nothing to do with this football team.

We still have Slater and Bethel...as long as I see #18 as the first guy down the field on TV, I am good!

Don’t know anything about the Pops connection, only that Cole only recently found out Via his deceased biological father’s side? Off topic...but why a negative?

Belichick tries to win every year. So it's not tanking.

But he knew even last year the cap was screwed this year due to Kraft making him cut Antonio Brown. And other reasons. So he's making the best of the situation.

Building a team for a losing season is part of BB's DNA, our offense might be suspect, but the way he has built the D seems to reflect the need to change the way NFL is trending with QB's like Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Watson etc. who are taking the game in a different direction..

Have felt for the last couple of seasons his plan was for life after #12, with next years cap space 100 million(approx) this is all part of a larger scheme to keep us competitive...

Usually I get a feel for this team during TC and preseason.. not this year, obviously.

It is also worth noting that Brady not being on the team is costing the Patriots $13,500,000 off the 2020 salary cap.

Add in Antonio Brown ($4,750,000), Stephen Gostkowski ($3,200,000) and Michael Bennett (2,000,000), and that is $23,450,000 of dead money that was unable to be used on free agents for this season.

My guess is that the Pats leaned a bit towards a 'win now' mode the last three years in comparison to how they usually manage the cap, and now they are paying the price this season.
I agree with this last point. Belichick's means of roster construction shifted dramatically starting in 2016. More trades for veterans, fewer high draft picks used, etc. The cost of operating in win-now mode is the constant forward pushing of cap charges, thus the shortfall at the start of this offseason.

For most franchises, this season would be considered "cap hell". All things considered, this team looks remarkably competitive for a group that has, maybe not mortgaged the future outright, but has taken out some equity loans to keep hunky Tom happy and now needs to pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down