PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Irish's Quinn the next Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/sp_columnists/article/0,2071,NPDN_14991_4324677,00.html

Tom Hanson: Irish's Quinn could be the next Brady
By TOM HANSON, [email protected]
December 18, 2005

Brady Quinn was destined to become a celebrity.

The Notre Dame quarterback is an "Entertainment Tonight" regular waiting to happen.

He's got the GQ looks, the Tom Brady-like moxie on the field, and a drop-dead gorgeous sister, Laura, who is dating the enemy.

Quinn and the Irish will face Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 2. And as he calls out the plays, Laura's beau will be looking to knock his head off.

Laura Quinn's boyfriend is none other than A.J. Hawk, Ohio State's All-American linebacker who is projected to be a top-10 pick in the NFL. The long-haired Hawk and the leggy brunette met in Columbus, the Quinns' hometown.

It's reminiscent of the Brady Bunch, no puns intended.

Remember when Marcia dated the rival high school's quarterback, who happened to be more interested in stealing her brother Greg's playbook?
But both players say there's not going to be any hanky panky here. Actually, the two hadn't even met until 10 days ago at the ESPN College Football Awards show at Disney World.

"I'm definitely going to have a talk with him," Brady said, his baby blues looking like he couldn't hurt a doe. "I'm sure he's a nice guy if he's dating my sister. She's got pretty good judgment."

Quinn doesn't need an US Magazine-esque love triangle to pump up his image.
He's guided the Irish's resurgence, going 9-2 and earning a BCS bowl game, and grabbed a few headlines on his own.

With the hiring of Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, Quinn has come into his own. He's made Beano Cook, who has been touting Quinn for the Heisman before he ever set foot on the South Bend campus, look like a genius.

Quinn flourished under Weis, throwing for 32 touchdowns and 3,633 yards.
Immediately, the comparisons to Tom Brady, Weis' former quarterback at New England, started.

Ironically, they were deserved.

Since middle school, watching Tom Brady play at Michigan, Quinn has idolized him.

"He is someone I felt like I was similar with in style," said Quinn, who finished fourth in the Heisman voting. "It was a weird connection with Coach Weis coming to Notre Dame, how the name falls in there. I recognize the similarities on the field and everything he does is something you want to emulate."
Brady and Quinn have never met.

Coach Weis once had Brady call Quinn but they never talked.

Quinn was eating dinner at an assistant coach's home.

"I didn't want to be rude and step away from the dinner table," said Quinn.
"So he left me a long message, which was nice. I'm kind of disappointed that I missed his call."

Brady wished Quinn luck — except against Michigan. And he gave Quinn some advice about Coach Weis' hard-love approach to the quarterbacks.

"He said, 'I know coach can be hard on quarterbacks, especially when you're the starter, but just keep doing your thing and don't take it personally. He's just trying to make you better,' " Quinn recalled.

Quinn is much better with Weis. He could be a No. 1 overall pick in the NFL if he stays another year. One thing for sure, he's already become a bona fide celebrity.

The unique thing about T. Brady is that he came from relative
obscurity 6th round pick to superstar. B Quinn will probably be
the top pick in the draft and have high expectations from day
one. Not saying he won't do it. Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning
say hello. But, he will have the world on his shoulders.

Last edited:
only 1/500 shot.

patsfaninpa said:
The unique thing about T. Brady is that he came from relative
obscurity 6th round pick to superstar. B Quinn will probably be
the top pick in the draft and have high expectations from day
one. Not saying he won't do it. Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning
say hello. But, he will have the world on his shoulders.
i agree b. quinn may be #1 pick in '06 draft. but IMHO if he is it's more because of his intangibles than because of his numbers and how he looks on the field.
i'm told that on film, coaches to look to see how many of the "mandatory passes" the QB can make, with oomph: down & out, deep post, laser 20 yards in center of field, deep out, deep flag pattern, etc.
i have no idea whether bquinn can make all those throws, but rest assured nfl coaches will know by valentines' day.
i remember a guy named glenn foley at BC, who had intangibles oozing out of him. he apparently couldn't make the throws. he certainly got his shot with the jets.

With Charlie kicking his backside, I would expect his tangibles to meet entry level NFL standards. :D

da weis factor

Box_O_Rocks said:
With Charlie kicking his backside, I would expect his tangibles to meet entry level NFL standards. :D

you know the kid's been verrrry well coached this year. that may count against him next year, when nfl gurus consider how big his "upside" is.

ilduce06410 said:
you know the kid's been verrrry well coached this year. that may count against him next year, when nfl gurus consider how big his "upside" is.
I think of ourselves as gurus and NFL executives as practicioners. Barring injury or a Notre Dame meltdown, I think the kid is a lock for the NFL, playing in a pro-style offense and reading defenses well has some value. I just hope he's not the next David Carr, a tackling dummy behind a revolving door.

ouch

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think of ourselves as gurus and NFL executives as practicioners. Barring injury or a Notre Dame meltdown, I think the kid is a lock for the NFL, playing in a pro-style offense and reading defenses well has some value. I just hope he's not the next David Carr, a tackling dummy behind a revolving door.

my hyeart really goes out to the #1s who got overrun before they had a chance.
i dunno if you remember jim plunkett but he's one of the few i remember who actually remade his career.
for years, archie manning has been the quintessential case in point.

I remember Plunket the Raider better then I do the Patriot. I'm happy for anyone who can come back from adversity - though if they do it as Raiders I'm more grudging with my joy. :(

Speaking of A.J. Hawk, I'd love to see the Pats end up with him.

Of course, given the way the whole Andy Katzenmoyer thing turned out, maybe not, but assuming that Hawk is even on the board when the Pats pick, would BB take him? Looks like he'll probably be long gone.

Also- I would like to see the Pats get Quinn's favorite WR target Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija.

Boy, if the Pats came away with a Hawk and a Shark in '06, we could rename the team the "Predators" ;) But wait- I see the Shark is a junior. Is he going to declare for the draft? Does anyone know? It would seem to me that he would given the year he had rather than risk his stock going down if he doesn't have as good a time as a senior.

Last edited:
Jesus. Let Quinn be the first Quinn.

"Irish's Quinn the next Brady?"

No. He will be drafted in the first round. Not the sixth...

Harrison37 said:

Of course, given the way the whole Andy Katzenmoyer thing turned out, maybe not, but assuming that Hawk is even on the board when the Pats pick, would BB take him? Looks like he'll probably be long gone.

Also- I would like to see the Pats get Quinn's favorite WR target Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija.

Boy, if the Pats came away with a Hawk and a Shark in '06, we could rename the team the "Predators" ;) But wait- I see the Shark is a junior. Is he going to declare for the draft? Does anyone know? It would seem to me that he would given the year he had rather than risk his stock going down if he doesn't have as good a time as a senior.

Charlie will have a few seniors coming out, but I think the juniors will stay put eyeing a National Championship season in 2006. And a couple of the seniors may also be eligible to be back for a 5th year to boost their stock. They had the fluke loss to MI State and had the refs been awake they'd have beaten USC this year. Charlie was going to have a sit down with all his draft eligibles after their bowl game and give them his honest evaluation of what they should do in their best interest. I think Quinn has already indicated he does not plan to declare. All these kids will be insured to the hilt next year to avoid a potential financial disaster. Samardizja is also a pitcher and has a good shot to get drafted by MLB. The announcers in their final game were saying under NCAA rules he could sign with a ML team this summer if drafted and still play football his senior year.

I think Brady Quinn has a bright future, better still if he sticks with Charlie for another season. But the comparisons to Tom really stop with Charlie. Quinn has been the annointed one at ND since the day he arrived. He struggled some under Willingham, but he has flourished since Charlie arrived. Tommy had to fight his own battles every step of the way at Michigan and often bite his tongue as their annointed one (Henson) got playing time he did not deserve. And he entered the league as a 4th stringer drafted in the 6th round behind a supposed franchise HOF'er. Very different dynamic from the get go.

Harrison37 said:

[. . .]

According to ESPN The Magazine, Samardzija and Quinn (and Stovall and Zbikowski) will all be playing for the Irish next fall.

Unfortunately, though, there's little hope of the Pats getting either Samardzija or Hawk the way they're playing right now. :) / :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back