PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Super Bowl Venue Stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, this may not be worth it's own thread, but I found this coincidence interesting.

Since 2001 (when Brady became a starter), 18 Super Bowls have been played.

Of those 18, 11 have been in domes and 7 played outdoors (38% outdoors).

Even though Tom Brady has played in half of those Super Bowls, he has only played once outdoors in the Super Bowl (Jacksonville, 2004 season).

Oddly enough, Peyton Manning (who we probably all agree would relish a dome game), oddly enough played all four of his Super Bowls outdoors (Miami twice, New York, and San Francisco).

No conspiracy, just thought it was funny that we've had so few outdoors (with Tom Brady playing just fine 'in the elements'), and Peyton Manning playing all his outdoors (when I'm sure he'd have preferred the dome).

I wish Brady would get a cold, outdoor game. It was hillarious watching the 55 touchdown man play in New York against the Seahawks.

“Omaha! Omaha!”

Last edited:
One very underappreciated aspect of Brady's career is how ESPECIALLY unstoppable he is under ideal conditions. I'm not saying that NE ought to have a dome, but if we would have had one for the last 20 years... wow.

I heard a radio talk show guy discussing the Brady-Jordan debate, and he was picking Jordan because "Wins are important, BUT that's a team stat. What does the QB control? If you look at passing stats, Brady isn't head-and shoulders above several other QBs, like Manning for example"

Of course he was looking at total stats, passer rating, yards, TDs.

If you look even at regular season stats and consider the splits showing field conditions, though, Brady's superiority to other QBs becomes COMPLETELY obvious

Brady playing in domes: passer rating 109.0, in 14 games, all road games, 11-3
Brady outdoor passer rating: 96.9

Manning in domes: passer rating 99.1
Manning playing outside, passer rating: 94.1

Brees in domes: passer rating 104.2
Brees playing outside: passer rating 91.2

Tom Brady is, statistically speaking, the greatest domed stadium QB in NFL history, despite all of those games being on the road (except neutral games in Super Bowls) and despite there being relatively few of them in the regular season, playing in a division with no domes.

Manning & Brees overall stats are extremely inflated by playing so many more games indoors, (10 times more games, in Peyton's case) such that overall their passing numbers are somewhat similar to Brady's. But context is important.

Put Brady in a dome, like in Indy or New Orleans, and he would have been MUCH MORE DOMINANT as a passer.

Manning in New England's bad weather with Brady's offensive supporting cast all of those years? Probably a little over a 0.500 QB.

Last edited:
I wish Brady would get a cold, outdoor game. It was hillarious watching the 55 touchdown man play in New York against the Seahawks.

They will never allow another cold weather super bowl again. IMO the league did that to fund Mara’s new stadium, which really doesn’t look that nice to begin with.

One very underappreciated aspect of Brady's career is how ESPECIALLY unstoppable he is under ideal conditions. I'm not saying that NE ought to have a dome, but if we would have had one for the last 20 years... wow.

I've said this before: imagine the Gillette Globe . . . the first domed stadium where it snows every game.

I heard a radio talk show guy discussing the Brady-Jordan debate, and he was picking Jordan because "Wins are important, BUT that's a team stat. What does the QB control? If you look at passing stats, Brady isn't head-and shoulders above several other QBs, like Manning for example"

If you look even at regular season stats and consider the splits showing field conditions, though, Brady's superiority to other QBs becomes COMPLETELY obvious

Tom Brady is, statistically speaking, the greatest domed stadium QB in NFL history, despite all of those games being on the road (except neutral games in Super Bowls) and despite there being relatively few of them in the regular season, playing in a division with no domes.

Manning & Brees overall stats are extremely inflated by playing so many more games indoors, (10 time more, in Peyton's case) such that overall their passing numbers are somewhat similar to Brady's. But context is important.

Put Brady in a dome, like in Indy or New Orleans, and he would have been MUCH MORE DOMINANT as a passer.

Manning in New England's bad weather with Brady's offensive supporting cast all of those years? Probably a little over a 0.500 QB.

Downplaying team success is one roundabout way to get to Jordan. How exactly does he rank above LeBron, Chamberlain, or Kareem if you remove the championship angle from his resume? Oh, “radio talk show guy.” I get it now.

Having the Super Bowl in New York was definitely a risky move by the league, but ultimately they must've been thrilled that it was an unseasonably warm day in New York.

Inherently there is a slight advantage to having all the games either down south or in a dome. Just think, the Saints periodically have a chance to play in Super Bowl at home, while the Pats never have that opportunity.

I know, I know, seems like an odd thing to complain about when the Pats just played in a Super Bowl in which 80+% of the crowd was in their favor.

And don't get me wrong, I understand why it won't be in northern places like Gillette.

Manning & Brees overall stats are extremely inflated by playing so many more games indoors, (10 times more games, in Peyton's case) such that overall their passing numbers are somewhat similar to Brady's. But context is important.

I've said this repeatedly.

QB stats are inflated by QBs playing in perfect conditions.

I'd also say that the stats emphasize throwing TDs way too much. Someone has to account for the way running TDs are manufactured.

If an RB runs for a 10+ yard TD, the QB should receive not much credit if any at all. But if he runs for a 3 yard TD, and the QB thre for 50 yards to get them down there, there should be TD shares for QBs. In this age of analytics, I'm sure it could easily be done.

Maybe in 2011 or 2012, Brady had a season in which he threw for maybe 32 TDs, and Rodgers was considered the MVP because he threw for 39 or 40. But that Patriots offense was one of the greatest NFL scoring offenses of all time. They had 26 rushing TDs, including 4 rushing TDs by Brady. The Packers? They scored 7 rushing TDs that year.

Of course everyone is looking at the QB stats and crediting Rodgers, completely missing on one of the greatest offensive seasons of all time. This was back when Aaron Hernandez was at his highest production, and no one could stop that 3 headed monster (Hernandez, Gronkowski, Welker).

Well the next 2 are outdoor.... then 3 indoor/retractable roof sites.... take that for what you will....

I've said this repeatedly.

QB stats are inflated by QBs playing in perfect conditions.

I'd also say that the stats emphasize throwing TDs way too much. Someone has to account for the way running TDs are manufactured.
).

Good points, but I must say that someone on this board semi-recently (within the past 6 months or so) did an analysis that was eye-opening as I believe it showed Brady had more 1 yard TDs than Peyton Manning (whom we all love to criticize as the TD vulture).

Going back to the venure and 'indoor vs outdoor' it was rather interesting in watching the behind-the-scenes footage (Mic'd up, I think) how seriously an 'open vs closed' roof factored into BB's kick off decision.

If the roof stayed open all game I wonder if he chooses to let the offense get the first down at the end of the game instead of kicking it.

I've said this before: imagine the Gillette Globe . . . the first domed stadium where it snows every game.
Before the game in the Gillette Globe, I could see Belichick discussing with McDaniels the available options. "Do we put the setting on light snow, no wind; snow and freezing rain with wind at 15 MPH, or do we go full blizzard."

Good points, but I must say that someone on this board semi-recently (within the past 6 months or so) did an analysis that was eye-opening as I believe it showed Brady had more 1 yard TDs than Peyton Manning (whom we all love to criticize as the TD vulture).
And most were to Vrabel

Before the game in the Gillette Globe, I could see Belichick discussing with McDaniels the available options. "Do we put the setting on light snow, no wind; snow and freezing rain with wind at 15 MPH, or do we go full blizzard."
Defensive calls adjusted to play calls ; Go full blizzard on short yardage, freezing rain and wind on long yardage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes