PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting graphic on how much money NFL teams have committed on 1st round picks from '09 to '18

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Reflective our position of drafting or NFL wisdom, if money were an indicator the Browns would not have needed Antonio Brown..

Humongous differences between the biggest spenders and the NEP..

Both charts are provided by Tucker Boynton and from Twitter..

D1kr6DqWkAADSzp.jpg:large

Then how much we have spent per round since '09
D1kHeoEXgAI1aEf.jpg

Reflective our position of drafting or NFL wisdom, if money were an indicator the Browns would not have needed Antonio Brown..

Humongous differences between the biggest spenders and the NEP..

Both charts are provided by Tucker Boynton and from Twitter..

D1kr6DqWkAADSzp.jpg:large

Then how much we have spent per round since '09
D1kHeoEXgAI1aEf.jpg
Great data. Thanks.
The Jetes have spent 2.7x more than the Pats on first rounders in that period and the Jills 2.3x. I wonder how that worked out for them? :)

Sam Bradford's 2010 rookie (#1) contract by itself tops NE's total expenditure during this 10 year period.
Bradford ....$78 mill
NE...............$70 mill

Draft #31 or #32 most every year
Massage the rules a bit (pun intended) / lose #1's
Trade out of the 1st round

Standard Operating Procedure in NE
or
Kraft is cheap and saves his money for custom booster seats and mid morning delights

Sam Bradford's 2010 rookie 1st round (#1) contract by itself tops NE's total expenditure during this 10 year period.
Bradford ....$78 mill

Draft 31 or 32 most years

or
Kraft is cheap and saves his money for custom booster seats and mid morning delights
...or they pretty much always draft in the 30s therefore don't need to shell out big time signing bonus money.

Interesting data that does correlate the best teams spend less while the worst teams spend more, my question would be what do those numbers look like if Brady, or AB as another example, were a first round pick instead of a sixth? I am sure it helps when the player you spend 15% of the cap on isn’t a first rounder, or put another way finding superstars later in the draft is great. I know great teams draft well, a shocking revelation:rolleyes:. Also add in the 2 firsts stolen and I bet the gap gets a lot smaller.

Does Gilmore's contract of 50 to 60 million get included into that 70 million figure in that graphic? or is it excluded because he got drafted in the first round by another team? The Patriots home grown first round talent has only Hightower and Mccourty in their second contracts (I may be missing others).

Sam Bradford's 2010 rookie (#1) contract by itself tops NE's total expenditure during this 10 year period.
Bradford ....$78 mill

Draft #31 or #32 most every year

or

rookie contracts have been capped since bradford. i think hes the last #1 pick to get that kidn of crazy money. mayfield's contract is less than half of bradfords

I don't think this says that much about our spending decisions and maybe anyone else's.

Of course the worst teams are going to spend more than others on #1 picks, since they have better picks and a higher $ slot. It's not saying "look the Patriots are good because they don't spend crazy money on first round picks, unlike all those other teams".

Also we didn't draft a first round pick in four different drafts since 2009, although there were two years we drafted two players.

The only thing this may say is that we rarely give first round picks big second contracts.

Any differences in later rounds is just noise, except maybe round 2, since we seem to stockpile those (and Gronk throws things off a bit).

...or they pretty much always draft in the 30s therefore don't need to shell out big time signing bonus money.
Thought I covered this point....."Draft 31 or 32 most years"

Wish the study included UDFA's

I think a better graphic would be total spending on 1st round picks since 2011.

The old salary formula for top picks skews the data.

Other teams don’t have tom Brady

also seems it only accounts for the first contract, and no FA contracts of previous 1st rd picks

Bert Breer made an interesting point today that the reason why the Jets, Colts etc. have so many salary cap dollars to spend.. is because of their failures in the draft, no one needed to "get paid", which is interesting when you think about it in the big scheme of things. As bad as BB is made out to be at drafting, he has done very well considering where the Pats pick from..

The consistent disdain that the Patriot organization shows for the draft's fifth round is one of the fun little details of following the team.

Cheap bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back