PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interactive Mock picks through 5 rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been in an interactive mock for the past couple of days and we are currently in the 5th round. I thought I would give you an update on what I have done and who I have drafted so far. Not to toot my own horn, but if the draft unfolds this way I am going to put peanut butter on my toes and dance through the daisies. :)

Trades: I traded back in round 1 from pick #21 to pick #27 and recieved the panthers 2nd round pick #58

#2 I traded #52 and #75 to #39 (Titans)

So here is what I drafted so far
#27-Bobby Carpenter, OLB Him and Greenway were still on the board so I new I could get one of the two. Worst case scenario they both get drafted and I take Maroney at 27.

#39-Richard Marshall, CB The deal with Warfield was not done yet, but I still like this pick regardless. Warfield is older and has not played that great in the last couple of years, plus Marshall is a phsicall-up at the LOS type of corner, something the Patriots dont have right now.

#58-Darnell Bing, S Harrison is getting old and Bing is a specimen at the safety spot. He is very physical and plays alot like Harrison does. He should excel in this system and from learning from Harrison.

#86-Greg Jennings, WR While I admit I have never seen him play, but from everything I read about him, he has Patriot player written all over him. Not a big reciever, but what does that really matter here. Sounds like he has great hands, is willing to go across the middle, runs great routes, and is a team leader.

#106-Chris Cocong, DE Cocong is a project pick that could pay big dividends. He will have to learn to play in the 3-4 but he put up some huge numbers in college and looked great at the combine. A physical freak that is similar (and possibly better) than manny lawson, could potentially move to the inside if need be.

#118-Kai Parham, ILB Parham has slipped a bit because of some slow times at his workouts, but he has great size and has played in a 3-4 system throughout college.

#136-Tim Dobbins, ILB Two in a row!!! This is kinda a homer pick for me because I am a huge Cyclone fan, but to be fair, I think this is good value right here. Dobbins is a guy with a lot of "upside" Great size and speed and he is awesome against the run. Needs to work on his pass coverage, but could develop into a stud at the postion.

Well, that is where we are at right now. What do you guys think? What should I focus on next? I am thinking RB or OL depending on the value.

Last edited:
I like your ideas, but there is no way that Marshall or Bing last that long

midwestpatsfan said:
Hi All,
I have been in an interactive mock for the past couple of days and we are currently in the 5th round. I thought I would give you an update on what I have done and who I have drafted so far. Not to toot my own horn, but if the draft unfolds this way I am going to put peanut butter on my toes and dance through the daisies. :)

Trades: I traded back in round 1 from pick #21 to pick #27 and recieved the panthers 2nd round pick #58

#27-Bobby Carpenter, OLB You've probably seen more of his play then I have (none :) ), but I've got enough doubts that I would have preferred an OT or TE here.

#39-Richard Marshall, CB

#58-Darnell Bing, S To high for a Safety, A WR like Hass or Marshall, or RB Maurice Drew might have been good.

#86-Greg Jennings, WR

#106-Chris Cocong, DE

#118-Kai Parham, ILB

#136-Tim Dobbins, ILB Darned homies, Kai or Tim, not both bubba gump! Grab a OC/OG like Alexander of VT or Cook of NM.

Well, that is where we are at right now. What do you guys think? What should I focus on next? I am thinking RB or OL depending on the value.
Ya could have done worse! ;)

Mosi Moose said:
I think you'll be surprised. It's a deep draft, guys will drop. Those two, in particular, I think are each 50-50 to be there at that point.

Heck of a draft, btw.

Nice darft.....I likey! I believe they will trade to get into the lower 2nd round.

I like your trades, you definitely did a good job making those deals happen. Getting Carpenter and Marshall is a solid draft in itself. I like Bing, and have no doubt that he would find a spot on our team, but I am beginning to think FS is more of a need than SS. We could probably go without drafting either. Bing is good value as a future replacement for Rodney if you don't think Sanders can cut it though. Jennings was a good pick, but in most interactive mocks he slides a little lower than that. (though when drew and I got him in the 6th a couple of weeks ago that was just unrealistic). I would have liked to have seen an RB and an OL in there somewhere. Nice draft though.

Nice draft! Notice that with the exception of one WR, there's no other offense? I'd still like to see an Oline or RB project in there.

PatsChick87 said:
Nice draft! Notice that with the exception of one WR, there's no other offense? I'd still like to see an Oline or RB project in there.
If anything I would have added another WR to compete with Caldwell and Jennings for the 2 & 3 spot. Not that I would object to an OL or RB but a second WR draftee would interest me more.

Well the draft has continued and I am through the sixth round now. Here has what I picked up since originally posting.

6th rd.

#191- Dontrell Moore, Rb Washington St. Moore played against some solid competition this year and has played very well. This pick was a need/value pick here.

#205-Ryan Cook, C/G Cook is huge at over 6'7" and has a lot of versitility. He started out at Tackle in college and moved to Center. He also projects well at Guard at the next level, so he brings depth to a lot of posiitions.

#206-Steve Fafita, DT He is short but big and should project well to play NT in the 3-4 defense. Will be a nice backup for Vince Wilfork I think.

Not sure if these guys will actually be there, but I think this should help fill some lesser needs with some potential players there.

My last pick should be coming up this afternoon- I am looking at the TE position and am hoping that Garrett Mills is still on the board when I pick. Any other suggestions for the last pick would be appreciated.

Sorry mdwest, I missed that you had only gone through 5 rds in your first post! As far as a suggestion for your final pick, how about a steel-nerved kicker!!

Mosi Moose said:
Huh?

Marshall is very likely to last to pick #39. Many mocks have him lasting to our second round pick (without trading up).

Wow, that's mighty good. Love Moore in the 6th...in fact, I would even have been happy with him in the 3rd.

midwestpatsfan said:
Hi All,

#27-Bobby Carpenter, OLB Him and Greenway were still on the board so I new I could get one of the two. Worst case scenario they both get drafted and I take Maroney at 27.

#39-Richard Marshall, CB The deal with Warfield was not done yet, but I still like this pick regardless. Warfield is older and has not played that great in the last couple of years, plus Marshall is a phsicall-up at the LOS type of corner, something the Patriots dont have right now.

#58-Darnell Bing, S Harrison is getting old and Bing is a specimen at the safety spot. He is very physical and plays alot like Harrison does. He should excel in this system and from learning from Harrison.

#86-Greg Jennings, WR While I admit I have never seen him play, but from everything I read about him, he has Patriot player written all over him. Not a big reciever, but what does that really matter here. Sounds like he has great hands, is willing to go across the middle, runs great routes, and is a team leader.

#106-Chris Cocong, DE Cocong is a project pick that could pay big dividends. He will have to learn to play in the 3-4 but he put up some huge numbers in college and looked great at the combine. A physical freak that is similar (and possibly better) than manny lawson, could potentially move to the inside if need be.

#118-Kai Parham, ILB Parham has slipped a bit because of some slow times at his workouts, but he has great size and has played in a 3-4 system throughout college.

#136-Tim Dobbins, ILB Two in a row!!! This is kinda a homer pick for me because I am a huge Cyclone fan, but to be fair, I think this is good value right here. Dobbins is a guy with a lot of "upside" Great size and speed and he is awesome against the run. Needs to work on his pass coverage, but could develop into a stud at the postion.

Overall I think you did a great job. I love the trade down to get Carpenter, and then getting Marshall in round 2. I love getting GoCong AND Parham where you did, and really hope those four picks work out that way. I think Jennings is a good pick too. The only one I would change is Bing - I'd much rather take either an RB (was Jerrious Norwood on the board still?) or TE there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back