PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inspired by the FA thread: Rank the AFC by team talent, minus the QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not the most talented in the AFC, and that’s okay.

You build a team, not collect talent.

Gilmore might be the only elite-level player we have on the non-QB roster with Gronk retired.

After that, Shaq Mason, Devin McCourty and Bennett are close to being such at their positions. And beyond that, we have a lot of “very good” talents like Michel, Jules, Andrews, Chung, Van Noy, Hightower, etc.

But ultimately there’s plenty of teams that have more blue/red chip players than we do on our roster. Part of that is simply done by design.

Do acknowledge Antonio Brown. I wouldn’t want him on my team, but AB remains right up at the top amongst the most talented WR’s in football. They also still have a few high- talent interior O-linemen in Hudson, Jackson.

But yes, after that it steeply falls off at most other positions.
Sure brown is great but the cupboard is otherwise pretty bare.

Sure brown is great but the cupboard is otherwise pretty bare.
Agreed. You just asked where talent could be seen on the roster, and that’s pretty much the answer.

Agreed. You just asked where talent could be seen on the roster, and that’s pretty much the answer.
Yeah I didn’t mean zero, I meant enough for him to make the comment he did.

Not sure how to do this as it seems the "sum" is greater than its parts..

Is a WR not great if he has a crappy QB or a lousy OC??

Is a RB not great if he does not have a decent OL??

Are any offensive or defensive players (or group of players) good or bad with an excellent or lousy OC or DC???

1) LAC
  • Elite EDGE rushers (Bosa, Ingram)
  • Elite players at DB (James, Hayward & King)
  • Great all around at the skill positions (Allen, Williams, Henry & Gordon)
  • Mediocre OL paired with overrated QB play (although that doesn't apply here)
Summary: Elite cover 3 zone defense with an all around pretty good offense. I like them vs. almost anyone in the NFL but vs. NE. Running an undersized version of the Seattle defense is one of the last ones you want to use to get by the Pats. Otherwise, I like them vs. the rest of the AFC contenders.

2) NE
  • Elite OL (Wynn can get them to #1)
  • Elite talent & depth at DB (Seven starting caliber players not counting Williams)
  • Respectable front seven with surprisingly strong depth at LB
  • WR/TE remains weak & unproven. WR does have upside.
Summary: Elite man coverage defense with an above average offense lacking firepower at the skill positions. If you removed Brady & gave NE an average QB they'd start to resemble some of the Ravens teams of years past: ground control with a strong run game paired with a high level man defense (they may still aim for this style if WR flops).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) IND

• Elite OL
  • Respectable talent at the skill positions (Hilton, Funchess, Ebron & Mack)
  • An overall good defense that lacks high level talent at DL & DB
Summary: A team without many weaknesses but lacks the talent on defense of the first two teams. An antiquated cover 2 defense with question marks in the secondary. A typical tier 2 contender type roster IMO.

4) CLE

• Flashy talent at the skill positions (Beckham Jr, Landry, Njoku & Chubb)
  • Mediocre OL with liabilities at both tackle spots
  • Talented DL with multiple stars (Garrett & Richardson)
  • A secondary with question marks
Summary: Could be higher or lower depending on your preference. IMO the offense is overrated but the defense has upside if the CB play can come together.

5) HOU

• Arguably the best WR trio in football when healthy (Hopkins, Fuller & Coutee)
  • RB/TE nothing to right home about
  • OL remains a mess with talent approaching bottom of the league
  • Same story on defense with elite front seven talent paired with a questionable secondary
Summary: Houston is another team based on personal preference. I'm not a big fan of bad OL play paired with great skill position players nor a defense reliant on front 7 play. The Texans remain weak at areas you shouldn't be in a passing league but do have elite talent on both sides of the ball.

6) PITT

• Elite OL
  • Respectable talent at the skill positions (Smith-Schuster, Washington, McDonald & Conner)
  • Elite talent at DL including IDL & EDGE (Hayward, Tuitt & Watt)
  • Question marks at LB & DB
Summary: The roster takes a step back losing a first ballot HOF WR. The defense can be great at times but lacks the necessary secondary talent to be elite IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus - 7) KC without Mahomes & Hill

• Average OL
  • Average talent at the skill positions (Watkins, Hardman, Kelce & Williams)
  • Talented DL (Jones & Clark)
  • Mess at CB
Summary: I'm not a fan of this offense without Tyreek Hill & removing the QB makes it forgettable. This team lacks the talent to be a SB contender IMO if Hill gets suspended but Mahomes will always be the X factor.

8-12) BALT/TENN/JAX/BUFF/NYJ

Summary: Teams that lack talent on offense but have pretty good talent on defense. QB play is also a question mark on all of them. Pick your favorite of the bunch.

13-16) OAK/DEN/CIN/MIA

Summary: These teams lack the talent on both sides of the ball to compete this year IMO.

Various sports magazines will publish their NFL preview magazines soon. ( I know this is dodging the question)

1) NE
2) rest

1) LAC
  • Elite EDGE rushers (Bosa, Ingram)
  • Elite players at DB (James, Hayward & King)
  • Great all around at the skill positions (Allen, Williams, Henry & Gordon)
  • Mediocre OL paired with overrated QB play (although that doesn't apply here)
Summary: Elite cover 3 zone defense with an all around pretty good offense. I like them vs. almost anyone in the NFL but vs. NE. Running an undersized version of the Seattle defense is one of the last ones you want to use to get by the Pats. Otherwise, I like them vs. the rest of the AFC contenders.
Nice breakdowns & summaries; regarding the Chargers:

The starting talent at Pass-Rusher & DB is indeed elite, though the depth at both groups looks very iffy. One or two injuries here will force their FO to look outside for reinforcements.

I actually like their OL a little more than you do. Lamp - Pouncey - Feeney has the potential to be very good inside protection for Rivers (overrated?!). Their OTs, however, besides Okung are completely unknown & unproven.

Last edited:
Various sports magazines will publish their NFL preview magazines soon. ( I know this is dodging the question)
I recommend Lindy's pre-season mag. It's the best in the business, as far as I'm concerned.

Can't find the thread, but @Deus Irae started one about ranking AFC rosters minus the quarterback position. BSPN (I know, I know, but it's all we have here) has team rankings minus QB, which requires Insider access. Luckily I paid 4.99 this month to binge all the 30 for 30s because they are simply great, so I can see it. Here are their rankings. Please note this article is for future rankings over the next three years, but obviously is strongly predicated on the current roster players, if not entirely based on the current roster.

NFL Future Power Rankings: Projections for all 32 teams for the next three years

AFC Rankings

1. Colts - 84.7
2. Steelers - 84.3
2. Browns - 84.3
4. Chargers - 83.0
5. Patriots - 81.3
5. Texans - 81.3
7. Chiefs - 80.7
8. Titans - 77.7
9. Jaguars - 77.7
10. Raiders - 76.0
11. Ravens - 75.7
12. Broncos - 74.7
13. Bills - 73.3
14. Bengals - 73.0
15. Jets - 68.3
16. Dolphins - 56.7

NFL Rankings

1. Eagles - 87.7
2. Bears - 86.0
3. Saints - 85.7
4. Colts - 84.7
4. Cowboys - 84.7
6. Steelers - 84.3
6. Browns - 84.3
8. Vikings - 84.0
9. Chargers - 83.0
10. Rams - 82.7
11. Patriots - 81.3
11. Texans - 81.3
13. Chiefs - 80.7
14. Packers - 79.3
15. Seahawks - 79.0
15, Falcons - 79.0
17. Titans - 77.7
17. Jaguars - 77.7
19. Panthers - 76.7
20. Raiders - 76.0
21. Ravens - 75.7
22. Lions - 75.0
23. Broncos - 74.7
24. Redskins - 74.0
25. Bills - 73.3
25. 49ers - 73.3
25. Buccaneers - 73.3
28. Bengals - 73.0
29, Cardinals - 71.0
30. Jets - 68.3
31. Giants - 67.7
32. Dolphins - 56.7

wtf, who the hell makes NFL predictions 3 years down the road?

These guys go to college and get jobs, to do that?

Right, they can't even predict BBs first round draft picks, let along 3 years worth of roster turnover...Seems the pundits need training camp more than us fans :D

People who get paid to write about a sport that plays a 16 game season and runs for about 6 months a year.

They certainly have a lot more confidence in Andrew Luck than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes