SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Inception

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Jul 16, 2010.

1. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,973
    ---
    SPOILERS. DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE.

I think you may have missed the point of the ending. I'm pretty sure they are not doing a sequel, and if they did, it wouldn't have Cobb in it (unless it's a prequel). The point of the ending was to make the audience member question what they were seeing as reality, thus going through the same exercise Cobb had been going through all film long. It was Nolan pulling an Inception on us. Depending upon what theory you buy, you may even think Cobb just pulled off an Inception of himself (to convince himself to exist in the dream state and accept it as his reality). But the last thing I think that the spinning top was doing was trying to set-up a prequel. It was a standalone movie - and is much more powerful that way. If Nolan were to explain what happens after the screen goes black, it cheapens the power of it all.

END SPOILERS.

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,139
    ---
    I think you're really overthinking this. The spinning top was meant to leave us wondering if he still was in a dream state or back in reality. The top was wavering at the end so my guess is he was back in reality. (In previous scenes when he used the top in a dream state, it spun tightly.) Why prequel and not sequel? He's now proven to others that inception is possible. That opens the door wide open for others seeking his services.

3. BradyManny

BradyManny Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,973
    ---
    SPOILERY DISCUSSION!

I say prequel, and not sequel, b/c I think Cobb's story is over. This was a one-off, Nolan didn't create a series here. Which is unfortunate in some way, b/c the idea is so amazingly refreshing and creative. If it's to be revisited, it has to take place prior to the events we see here - otherwise it would really cheapen the film.

As for the top - maybe I'm overthinking it, but Nolan spent 10 years penning this film, I think there's a lot to it. I think whether or not that top is going to fall is a question better left unanswered. If we get a sequel and find out the answer, I think this movie comes down a peg, in my eyes.

And it [the top spinning ending] wasn't purely for the audience's sake either - thematically, it fits, and in terms of Cobb's character, it fits. Cobb leaving the top spinning (and not caring whether it falls or not) is indicative of him having accepted this as reality - as his projection of Mal was pleading him to do in limbo. Likewise, actually looking at his children's faces - which he refused to do all film, in order to avoid accepting a dream as reality, and becoming "lost" in a limbo state again - hammers this home. Neither helps answer the question of whether he is in a dream state, necessarily. Maybe it gets back to what the old man in the "opium-den" like place earlier said "dream is their reality, who are you to say otherwise?"

So I think the ending had nothing to do with whether or not there is a sequel. If anything, I think the ending ensures there is not a sequel. If Nolan cares about the legacy of the film, he won't ever tell us if the top is going to fall or not - and that means not creating a sequel with Cobb.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. glm

glm In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,560
    ---
    I'd bank on neither, because he never does sequals or prequals with any of his original moves. (Following, Insomina, Prestige, Memento)

5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,139
    ---
    None of those were big box-office hits like this, either. The money might be too alluring.

6. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4
    ---
    How was Tom Hardy in it? (Eames) He's about to breakout, really talented young actor who just got the lead in the new Mad Max.

7. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,372
    ---
    Nolan added in multiple scenes for ambiguity, so the audience could choose whatever ending they personally liked best.

I think Cobb ended up back in reality. Other internet comments note a consistent pattern with the wedding ring on his finger as a clue, as well as whether the top spins or falls. In the end the top starts to wobble, when in dream states it always spins perfectly. Additionally, observant fans have noted that the cast even uses two different sets of kid actors, and the older kids are used in the last scene, and they aren't wearing the same shoes.

One interesting idea, even if Cobb did make it back to reality, is that while the entire team was performing an inception upon that rich kid, that Saito had performed an inception upon Cobb during the dream so he could get over his guilt. Saito when alone with Cobb multiple times repeats the same memorable lines about regret throughout the film, which directly relate to Cobb's history with his wife.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,797
    ---
    I just saw it and WOW, was I impressed. I was drawn into this the moment it started. With that in mind, here comes some spoiler discussion so if you haven't seen the movie yet stop reading here.

I think Cobb was in limbo. I think Watanabe's character picked up the gun and shot him then shot himself. Since they were in the fourth layer (Cobb's dream) they would have had to get back to the first layer in order to wake up. If Watanabe shot him they would have gone into limbo. Since they only showed Watanabe picking up the gun I have to assume he shot Cobb then shot himself. If that happened in Cobb's dream, they would go into limbo.

9. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,372
    ---

They only go into limbo if they die in the dream while the real body is still too sedated to wake up.

By the time Saito shot Cobb and himself, their real bodies were fine to wake up. Because the other dreams had collapsed, they could have woken up in real life coming up from the 4th stage. When they wake up the flight in nearly over, the sedation had worn off.

10. Rossmci90

Rossmci90 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +197
    ---
    The feeling i got from the ending was not a simple dream vs reality thing. What i believe the ending was supposed to signify is that Cobb himself no longer cared if he was dreaming or not, he was tired of chasing reality and just wanted to be with his children, real or not.

Great film though, can't wait to watch it again.

11. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6
    ---
    Great thread here all, sorry I missed it (and posted a new one like an idiot). I was reading an interview with Christopher Nolan stating that the ending was open to interpretation, so it's really up to us to put together what we think. Coincidentally, I agree with you. At this point, Cobb didn't care. If it was real, so be it. If not, he would fool himself.

I think the top fell over after, but that's just me. What a brilliant idea those totems were for storytelling purposes. Great movie. And I certainly hope there ISN'T a sequel. The only sequel to any movie he's made that I'm aware of is The Dark Knight. His great films like The Prestige, Memento, and Insomnia (all of which I highly recommend) stand alone, and should stay that way. That's how I feel about Inception.

12. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +49,797
    ---
    Eh, I would certainly put The Dark Knight in there as one of his great films. I just can't see this spawning a franchise the way Batman did and has. That's why I don't think there will be sequel.

13. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6
    ---
    Oh I know. I'm a comic book nerd, so I appreciated his adaptations of Batman. With the exception of Bale's awful Batman voice, they're fantastic. And Ledger, despite my initial reservations about the choice, was the Joker. Perfect tone in the movies as well. I just separate those two movies in my mind, as I kind of put comic book movies in a different category. They're prone to sequels, they're serial stories by nature. Inception and all of his other flicks are serious movies, intended to spur thought and discussion in the audiences. Serious films like that don't often have a sequel.

So I agree; I doubt there will be (and kind of hope there won't be) a sequel.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  14. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +5,747
    ---