PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In My Mansion are Many Rooms...

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I love tracking language change, and it's especially fun in football. There have been big receivers, long receivers, and tall receivers, all of which might be the same thing. If you're rangy you could either have a lot of range because you're fast PLUS have a good reach or something, and I think you're mainly a DB if you're rangy. Imunno. Then there are vertical receivers (properly, vertical threats at receiver), who are actually longitudinal not vertical, which would just be "tall" again. In fact, if I were in charge of terminology, I'd say receivers are longitudinal or transverse, seems simpler. But what do I know. Then there are guys who are so vertical they take the top off the defense, which means they take the endcap off the longitudinal dimension, but I digress.

What I'm finding fascinating this year is that everybody has their own ROOM. They used to be a corps. Not a core, a corps. Like the Marine Corps, if instead of taking Iwo Jima you played a kids game for millions of dollars. Semper ChChing mothr****, this is my contract, there are many like it but this one is mine. So you used to have this corps, but no morps. Now you have a "room." There's a Quarterbacks room, an offensive line Room, a linebackers Room.... etc.

Where did the damn rooms come from? Are there actual rooms in the stadium where guys break off for film study, linebackers and film study, O-line, etc., are there? Or is this just this year's terminology exercise? Or maybe something having to do with Zoom?

I seriously need your help, you whose brothers-in-laws know the barbers of the plumbers who worked in Gillette last year or something. Tell me what the rooms are.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this matter.

As long as I've been reading posts and sports journalism (since approximately 2010), the terms "corps", "room", and "core" have been used interchangeably.

Obviously "core" is just the dumb guy way of spelling a word they only heard on TV, but I never got too mad about it because it technically still makes sense.

What's worse than biting to an apple core and seeing a worm?

Biting to an apple corps and seeing half a worm.

As for going 'vertical", they do go up and down the field.......................

As for going 'vertical", they do go up and down the field.......................
But working from left to right on your radio dial... which come to think of it, isn't there anymore... :D

As long as I've been reading posts and sports journalism (since approximately 2010), the terms "corps", "room", and "core" have been used interchangeably.

Obviously "core" is just the dumb guy way of spelling a word they only heard on TV, but I never got too mad about it because it technically still makes sense.
Mayyyyyybeeee.... but to me, the prevalence of Rooms is striking. In terms of reading sports journalism, I guess I've mainly read online stories, but everybody's doing online stories... I don't think NFLN and ESPN were talking about rooms in previous years.. or maybe it just was a few people now and then, and now it's the "hot terminology"

By the way, you could have a measurement for your long jump, which would mean how high you got, and a vertical leap, which by all rights would mean how far upfield you could get. "Broad jump" is just plain sexist though.

I love tracking language change, and it's especially fun in football. There have been big receivers, long receivers, and tall receivers, all of which might be the same thing. If you're rangy you could either have a lot of range because you're fast PLUS have a good reach or something, and I think you're mainly a DB if you're rangy. Imunno. Then there are vertical receivers (properly, vertical threats at receiver), who are actually longitudinal not vertical, which would just be "tall" again. In fact, if I were in charge of terminology, I'd say receivers are longitudinal or transverse, seems simpler. But what do I know. Then there are guys who are so vertical they take the top off the defense, which means they take the endcap off the longitudinal dimension, but I digress.

What I'm finding fascinating this year is that everybody has their own ROOM. They used to be a corps. Not a core, a corps. Like the Marine Corps, if instead of taking Iwo Jima you played a kids game for millions of dollars. Semper ChChing mothr****, this is my contract, there are many like it but this one is mine. So you used to have this corps, but no morps. Now you have a "room." There's a Quarterbacks room, an offensive line Room, a linebackers Room.... etc.

Where did the damn rooms come from? Are there actual rooms in the stadium where guys break off for film study, linebackers and film study, O-line, etc., are there? Or is this just this year's terminology exercise? Or maybe something having to do with Zoom?

I seriously need your help, you whose brothers-in-laws know the barbers of the plumbers who worked in Gillette last year or something. Tell me what the rooms are.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this matter.
Apart from butchering an awesome Bible passage, wtf are you saying?

What's with the "Rooms?"

It's a jock-imitation thing. The journos copy language they hear from the players to show what cool kids they are. And the players talk about "rooms" because they share a single meeting-room with a position coach (the quarterbacks, cornerbacks, tight ends or whatever).

Too obvious? Am I just showing that I don't appreciate humour?

Freak Out Wtf GIF by Searchlight Pictures

1st time I ever heard the term rooms. Corps I have known forever.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back