PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm devastated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirtsleeve

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
by this draft. At least day 1. We get a situational running back, an overrated Jr. wide out and a projected 5th round tight end. Shocked and crushed. And that was with 4 picks going in.

Call me stung by history, but I wouldn't take any back in the first without Cadillac Williams talent at minimum. Wouldn't take any reciever in the first. Period. And wouldn't take any reciever in the second without Marvin Harrison talent minimum. So I never take those positions high. This is my anti draft. My nightmare come true. But I have already vented my rage on the main board. Time to look ahead.

Having said all that, I can only hope that BB/SP have a better handle on things than it seems. They ALWAYS have so far. In BB I trust, I guess, maybe....but this time, its hard.

shirtsleeve said:
by this draft. At least day 1. We get a situational running back, an overrated Jr. wide out and a projected 5th round tight end. Shocked and crushed. And that was with 4 picks going in.

Call me stung by history, but I wouldn't take any back in the first without Cadillac Williams talent at minimum.

Maroney is hardly a situational back he's big, fast, with nice hands and the best blocker out of the RBs this year. I'm very pleased with the pick. Remember, as a sophomore, he relagated Marion Barber, a senior and second year starter, to a backup role.

shirtsleeve said:

Call me stung by history, but I wouldn't take any back in the first without Cadillac Williams talent at minimum. Wouldn't take any reciever in the first. Period. And wouldn't take any reciever in the second without Marvin Harrison talent minimum. So I never take those positions high. This is my anti draft. My nightmare come true. But I have already vented my rage on the main board. Time to look ahead.

Having said all that, I can only hope that BB/SP have a better handle on things than it seems. They ALWAYS have so far. In BB I trust, I guess, maybe....but this time, its hard.

I don't like the Maroney pick, but since when is he a situational RB?

Also, Chad Jackson may be a junior, but the Pats met with him 4 or 5 times. They were obviously sold on the kid. Oh, I forgot to mention that BB was one of the people who ment with him personally.

As for Thomas, what draft site were you looking at? All the ones I saw had Thomas as a solid 3rd rounder.

isn't there a red sox game you could be whining about instead?

fully surprised and sufficiently pleased and anticipatory regarding the selections

free your mind

Flying Fungi said:
isn't there a red sox game you could be whining about instead?

fully surprised and sufficiently pleased and anticipatory regarding the selections

free your mind
Haven't followed the sox since 86.

I've got to say, I've been pretty much dumbfounded all day. The Maroney pick took the wind out of me. The Jackson pick had me completely devastated. By the time Thomas came around, I was completely numb.

Three offensive picks, with all the defensive gaps.

But, having sat on the Day One results, and after reading the post draft interviews, I'm starting to drink the Koolaid.

These players were not taken on a whim. They REALLY liked Maroney (I'm not sure why, just yet).

I think there is a good case for Jackson as a value pick, but after reading about the mental walkthrus that they gave him, and the depth of analysis that Belichick called to mind in terms of the Florida passing scheme, and how Jackson performed in it.... well, hell, they know this player way better than I do.

Thomas was actually on my draft board, just not in the 3rd round. I would rather have seen Mark Anderson at #86, but maybe we'll have a shot at him with #106.

Overall, I have enough faith in the Braintrust to suspend my disbelief thru to Training Camp. I was skeptical when they drafted Seymour. I didn't like the Wilfork pick. I felt they reached for Mankins. And I've been wrong every time.

Goodnight fans. Tomorrow is Day Two, and maybe we'll see a LB to put me a bit more at ease.

This is such a typical BB draft, while most of were think D he goes for Offense. Our first response will be WTF at whoever he picks, then after a day or 2 it starts to sink in, and in November we will be using the Genius word once again.

I thought for sure it would not be someone everyone was picking, i.e. Carpenter as this is too obvious, but Maroney makes a lot of sense to me and the more I read the more it sounds like he is a Patriot type guy.

GJAJ15 said:
This is such a typical BB draft, while most of were think D he goes for Offense. Our first response will be WTF at whoever he picks, then after a day or 2 it starts to sink in, and in November we will be using the Genius word once again.

I thought for sure it would not be someone everyone was picking, i.e. Carpenter as this is too obvious, but Maroney makes a lot of sense to me and the more I read the more it sounds like he is a Patriot type guy.
Exactly, it was just a gigantic surprise to most of us, but after you check the write-ups and ratings - these guys are good and much needed by our offense. We can score again today and sounds like BB is ready to deal some more - stay tuned sports fans......

GJAJ15 said:

Well said. The thing that strikes me is how we condemn these picks when most people will have seen highlights of these guys, possibly some games, and nothing more. Remember, the scouts will have attended the games, the practices (in some cases), watched all of the film, will have spoken to coaches and in the case of Maroney and Jackson, they had them doing drills and interviewed them. In Jackson's case, I believe he was sent away to learn bits of the offence before his next workout (at least, I think that's what they said in his interview).The proof is in the pudding. Ignore what draft sites say and look at the team with the most Superbowls.

I do not think that these are purely short term picks, as some teams might do. No good team in any sport is successful, when it fills a purely short term need. All good teams are constantly reviewing and building for the future. Yes, they also happen to meet short term need, but they do not do so at the expense of the long term good of the team.

what to expect on Day Two...

The one thing that really killed me was Carpenter going to Parcells at #18. Man, that pissed me off. All the reasons that Dallas like him are the same reasons we'd like him.

Dallas has drafted Demarcus Ware, Bradie James, and now Bobby Carpenter, all guys that I've wanted for Foxboro over the past few drafts. And over that time we've gotten nothing, except Claridge.

Chad Jackson better be a rookie sensation, and Maroney better light it up in the kicking game, or I'm going to be scratching my head. They need to prove to me that he's worth more to the team than the 11 DE/LBs that went in the first 38... of which we drafted NONE.

From this point, any LB that we draft will be special teamers and projects. Not what I was hoping for. But there are a bunch of DE tweeners still on the board, and we have two 4ths and two 5ths. This could all be made good very quickly.

Mike Kudla is available, Paryl Haralson... and a whole bunch of 260-270 lbs-ers...McClover, Edwards, LaCasse...

From a BPA perspective, I like Mike Hass, Greg Eslinger (Maroney's teammate...)... and I cant believe Gabe Watson is still on the board!

rookBoston said:
I cant believe Gabe Watson is still on the board!
I can. Watson was lazy at Michigan and didn't give a full effort on every play. I would be floored if the Pats selected him.

drpatriot said:
I can. Watson was lazy at Michigan and didn't give a full effort on every play. I would be floored if the Pats selected him.

The Pats wont draft him, but still... he was productive for a big time program.

rookBoston said:
The one thing that really killed me was Carpenter going to Parcells at #18. Man, that pissed me off.
I was also pissed that Dallas picked Carpenter. But I "kinda" saw it coming. I would have been ecstatic with this draft if we got Carp and Jackson. But I don't think BB wanted to go through another year of/if Dillon was hurt and having Brady throw as much as he did last year and having him get him hit as much as he did because of our lack of a running game. The Maroney pick protects Brady and the running game and Jackson gives him another good receiver. Plus, our OL should be healthier this year and will have more experience.

After Carpenter, and the versatilty he had of ILB/OLB, the value wasn't there. But it will be in the 4th and 5th rounds with Havner, Dobbins and Parham still available. One of them will get picked. We still have 7 picks on day 2 and BB can move around and get 3 to 4 more players he values.

edit: spelling/grammar

Last edited:
They know what they want in LBs and it's very hard to find it in college players. They aren't smart enough, don't have the experience. Carpenter is dumb as a post. I predict bust for him.

So they draft players where they think they can learn the system and look for linebackers in free agency or whatever.

Claridge is supposed to be talented and smart and he was a fifth round pick. So don't despair. Just because they didn't take the 4.5 40 linebackers doesn't mean that they are neglecting the position.

Maroney is kind of like Dillon with speed. He played for a run all the time program and still managed over 5 ypc. He is the real deal! Jackson will be a star. Picture Givens physicality with better route running and WR skills. Givens was more athlete than WR. This guy is a WR.

Thomas is a good pick. Very good and smart receiver. Caught 10 balls in the title game. Catches well in traffic, knows how to read defenses.

We have 10 or 11 dbs as it is. Hard to find room for one.

I want to see them draft mark Anderson or LaCasse maybe Brandon Guillory at LB.

Well, a night has past and I've slept on the picks. And I am still uncomfortable. For a funny read, look at my quote in the what the hell thread. The amazing shirtsleeve strikes again. Damn!

Not to criticize, but BB is an 0-fer picking RB's. I'm sure he's not that bad at LB's. Which is probably why he passed on them. The LB's available at his picking positions weren't value on his board. But if he was willing to blow out a third in a trade up, Greenway Carpenter and Lawson all were within reach.....

So now we pick another TE, a G and a K. I actually dont mind the last two. Thats where I looked to see those slots filled. But I feel just like rookBoston about all of this.

I will suspend all thoughts of final judgement till camp starts. But we need two young healthy talented LB's before camp starts. Claridge may be one. TBC is definitley NOT. And unless Klecko has developed into the TJ slot ILB, he isn't either. So, heres hoping BB has seen that development from two of them, and the development in our system just takes that long.

Rodney must be ready to come to camp. I will take that as good news. And one of these youngsters must be deveoping well behind him. We have already brought in a couple of gunners for ST's and we should now be all set for both K and returners.

That still leaves us one ten pick threat cover corner short. None of the corners we have fit that bill. We need one guy out there who can play man with anyone and be a constant int threat. It forces the opposition to cheat to the middle or opposite side, where our animals can jack them up.

Maybe a FA is coming there. Law? Could possibly fit if he keeps his hands off people and loses some weight;and he stays healthy for the year. A short contract to him may work. Then we could look to next year for help elsewhere. Ala Ted Washington in 03?

Well,
After #191, we just got that extra young TJ type ILB. Sounds like he could develop well. His points of excellence fit that position to a Tee.

I don't know where to begin. I echo a lot of the opinions said here, but I have to rely on one fact. With me BB has a lifetime pass. I HAVE to trust what the front office does. They win championships and I drink beer and change my son's diapers. I have no idea what the plan was going in, why we went back to back on TE's, why we passed on Deangelo and Manny Lawson for Maroney, why our sleepers got gobbled up by everyone else, why basically each pick went the way it did. I want to be in a panic, I want to be pissed, I want to be jealous of Philly,Cleveland, and Dallas' drafts....but I'm not. I just have to trust and realize that basically I don't know spit. It also helps that I have been drunk since pick #22 In round 1.

The faces of the draft = :eek: :mad: :confused: :confused:

great post

mcbee said:
They know what they want in LBs and it's very hard to find it in college players. They aren't smart enough, don't have the experience. Carpenter is dumb as a post. I predict bust for him.

So they draft players where they think they can learn the system and look for linebackers in free agency or whatever.

Claridge is supposed to be talented and smart and he was a fifth round pick. So don't despair. Just because they didn't take the 4.5 40 linebackers doesn't mean that they are neglecting the position.

Maroney is kind of like Dillon with speed. He played for a run all the time program and still managed over 5 ypc. He is the real deal! Jackson will be a star. Picture Givens physicality with better route running and WR skills. Givens was more athlete than WR. This guy is a WR.

Thomas is a good pick. Very good and smart receiver. Caught 10 balls in the title game. Catches well in traffic, knows how to read defenses.

We have 10 or 11 dbs as it is. Hard to find room for one.

I want to see them draft mark Anderson or LaCasse maybe Brandon Guillory at LB.

Great post....there is no sky falling here!!!!......great overall draft....BB/SP are geniuses!!!!

Maroney and Jackson are going to be stars in NE....one man's opinion.......really looking forward to seeing these guys in TC/preseason!! GO PATS!!!

Contemplating these picks has made me realize what a lack of genuine playmaking weapons the Pats had on offense. They should be vastly more dangerous in the future.

As for LB...darned if I know. Vrabel & Colvin at OLB; Bruschi and Claridge/Beisel inside; Mincey in training. Fine in theory, but one injury and yikes. Vrabel is an "irreplaceable" in a big way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes