Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What type of LB should be the Pats' draft priority?

• ILB/MLB

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • OLB

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Both

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since Vrabel can seemingly play either with equal skill, should the Pats be looking more for ILB/MLBs or OLBs?

I would say ILB with Vrabel going back outside. However I can't find a single ILB in the draft who I'd have any confidence in. So I guess inside as there's a lot of OLB who could be slipped in to, at worst, play McGinest's pass rush role. I like Greenway, I'd love to get some cover ability back to the LB.

BelichickFan said:
However I can't find a single ILB in the draft who I'd have any confidence in.
Exactly, and that's the key issue.

Bobby Carpenter should be able to play either ILB or OLB, and that's one of the many reasons I'd like the Pats to take him in round 1. He's primarily an OLB, but has the size and ability to also play ILB (a lot like Vrabel, whom he works out with).

They could also likely pick up Kai Parham in day 2 as a run stuffing ILB, as his stock has been plummetting due to slow 40 times (but, speed isn't nearly as important for a 3-4 ILB as it is for a 4-3 MLB). Add to that picking up Ryan LaCasse, a very speedy DE OLB tweener with great size as a developmental OLB project, and I'd be quite happy.

Looking at Parham's numbers, his shorter distances (10, 20, shuttle, etc) were below average for the ILB but not as far out of average as his horrible 40.

Another two down ILB of interest to me is Anthony Schlagel whose numbers were a little better than Patham's. Parham, btw, did 30 bench press reps which was the best for ILB, by a good amount, of the ones I've seen. The average seems to be about 23.

What can someone tell me about Northwestern's Tim McGarigle ? 6'1", 242. Consistently among the top 3-5 in workout numbers (of those I've seen listed) and likely very smart too, going to Northwestern.

Another one who interests me is Georgia Tech's Gerris Wilkinson. Nice numbers and, according to PFW, good character and leadership. He's a little light for us at 233 but standing 6'3" he would seem to have weight potential.

big mike said:
Exactly, and that's the key issue.

Bobby Carpenter should be able to play either ILB or OLB, and that's one of the many reasons I'd like the Pats to take him in round 1. He's primarily an OLB, but has the size and ability to also play ILB (a lot like Vrabel, whom he works out with).

They could also likely pick up Kai Parham in day 2 as a run stuffing ILB, as his stock has been plummetting due to slow 40 times (but, speed isn't nearly as important for a 3-4 ILB as it is for a 4-3 MLB). Add to that picking up Ryan LaCasse, a very speedy DE OLB tweener with great size as a developmental OLB project, and I'd be quite happy.

I agree. Bobby Carpenter can play both positions. That is why he is still my choice, as of 3/27, to take at #21. He can play ILB for a couple of years and then we can move him outside when a suitable replacement at ILB is found.

Only MLB i trust is D'Qwell Jackson. Reminds me of Vilma with less hype but hes a great leader, hits hard and is everywhere but hes only 6"0 or 6"1 but if you look past his height..you would see a tremendous player..few other players that came out of Maryland

Shawne Merriman and EJ Henderson..add D'Qwell Jackson to the list and hes likely going to be productive

With Parham, he has good instincts so he's already moving at the snap of the ball, which allows him to play faster than he times, but at 5 seconds in the forty, there is no way superor instincts can make up for that. I'm really shocked by the slow time.

I beleive that Sam Hunt, (former ILB for us years ago) who was close to 280 lbs, ran a 4.9.

For ILB, D'Quell Jackson is a little light (4-3), Abdul Hodge, Kai Parham, or Bobby Carpenter would be my choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down