PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[IGNORE] The case for Lendale White falling to #21...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Many have said it's unlikely he'll fall, and I suppose it is. However, a quick look at NFL rosters makes me think it's plausible:

1 Houston - Reggie Bush
2 New Orleans - won't take RB, even with Deuce hurt. Too much $$$ invested.
3 Tennessee - Chris Brown, Travis Henry and not looking RB this high, anyway.
4 New York Jets - re-signed Martin, like Cedric Houston, going QB or D'Brickashaw.
5 Green Bay - possibly, but then why re-up Ahman Green? Also, Davenport returning.
6 *San Francisco - COULD take a RB, but I'm mostly hearing AJ Hawk and other Defensive players.
7 Oakland - LaMont Jordan. Looking D.
8 Buffalo - Willis McGahee
9 Detroit - Kevin Jones
10 *Arizona - POSSIBLE destination for Lendale, but they are hot after Edge.
11 St. Louis - Steven Jackson
12 Cleveland - Reuben Droughns? He's okay, but they could take White. However, they are definitely in need of LB help.
13 *Baltimore - POSSIBLE destination for Lendale.
14 Philadelphia - Possible, but doubtful - They have Westbrook, and they need a WR big time, even if they sign a FA.
15 Atlanta - Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett. Doubt they draft RB.
16 Miami - Ronnie Brown
17 Minnesota - Just signed Chester Taylor, have a slew of RB's, might be shy.
18 Dallas - Julius Jones and Barber.
19 San Diego - LT, nuff said.
20 Kansas City - Larry Johnson.
21 New England - It is not only possible the Patriots will be staring at Lendale White, it's possible they'll have their pick of the non-Reggie Bush RB's.
22 Denver (from Washington) - trade up? I doubt it.
23 Tampa Bay - Cadillac Williams
24 Cincinnati - Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry.
25 New York Giants - Tiki Barber
26 Chicago - That Texas kid.
27 Carolina - DeShaun Foster signed to 3 year deal.
28 Jacksonville - Trade up? Fred Taylor, Greg Jones.
29 Denver - again, possible but doubt it.
30 Indianapolis - possible but that's a big trade up.
31 Seattle - Shaun Alexander, 8-year deal.
32 Pittsburgh - Possible trade up, but doubt it.

Last edited:
I think you can cross Cleveland off too. They extended Droughns' contract and spent about $15M (a year) on their offense today. They need defense terribly.

I like what you're saying, and I wish it would happen. A young stud at RB? Haven't seen that here in awhile:) But, I think it's too much to ask, and one of those teams ahead of us are probably not going to let him slip by, regardless of who they have. The real question is if whether or not the pats would select him. I doubt it, but like everyone says. You never know whet the pats FO is going to do.

Baltimore, however, is staring having no RBs on their roster right in the face if Jamal doesn't come back. Don't be surprised. However, then DeAngelo falls to the Patriots. While I'd rather have Lendale then DeAngelo or Maroney, I'd still take either of them.

I agree, Baltimore is FOR SURE our stiffest competition for Lendale and, unfortunately, they are a bit high for us to trade up to. Not impossible, but I'd rather not.

Interesting, very good look at the possibility. However, there is always a wildcard team (Larry Johnson 1st Rd w/ P Holmes as the horse). It is also possible that L White will be the 2nd back off the board. DeAngelo Williams could leap White as the first back. Laurence Maroney (had a great combine) could also be in the mix, although will be the 3rd RB taken late 1st/ early 2nd. Looking again at the options in FA (Taylor) signed w/ Vikes. I see the Edge as the Curtis Martin type, may be productive and solid for a few years to come (2-3?). What are the chances that Dillon rebounds to his normal 1400/10TD season ??? Likely! If you look at Dillon’s #'s, though his career, the chances are he will rebound. Corey has put up at least 1200 yds in 5 of his last 7 yrs and 12 TD's in the last 2 year. Having Faulk in the mix for a FULL season will make their backfield very competitive. He can take a game over at any time.

Its a logical thought to look at a RB here, but I doubt they take a RB here. They have only drafted a WR & RB in the 1dt rd two times since 1994 (Glenn & R Edwards). I think Piloi / BB are taking the best defensive available, CB most likely. He prefers a seasoned LB, experience in this position the preference IMO. He has had solid success in recent drafts with CB and the search for a home grown shutdown corner will continue. But what the hell do I know ???

Last edited:
We *need* a young RB

With Cory, it's not if he's "lost" it. It's that at his age and with the number of miles on him, he's an injury waiting to happen. It's not like he won't play hurt, it's that when he plays hurt, his body won't let him be what he once was. Anyone of us civilians over the age of 50 can relate I'm sure.

Now once upon a time I heard BB say that Round 1 was for (I'm paraphrasing here):

Guys that can throw the ball, guys that can catch the ball. Guys that can defend the catcher, guys that can stop the thrower, guys that can defend the thrower.

This translates as:

QB
WR
CB
Pass Rusher
LT

Not necessarily in that order but those are the real high value guys. No RBs on that list but with BB you never know. He did take "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell #1 (for all you "BB is Immaculate, Omnicient, and Incapable or Error" guys).

That said, I'd take LW in a New York minute. I'd strongly consider the Williams kid too. But if LW isn't there , Look for a guy who fits one of these other categories.

Last edited:
I agree. Even as the person who started this thread, I see the need to take other positions. And the ones outlined a couple posts back are great positions for us to look to fill if Lendale isn't there. It's a good year to have a lot of picks.

patpatriot said:
Now once upon a time I heard BB say that Round 1 was for (I'm paraphrasing here):

Guys that can throw the ball, guys that can catch the ball. Guys that can defend the catcher, guys that can stop the thrower, guys that can defend the thrower.

This translates as:

QB
WR
CB
Pass Rusher
LT

Not necessarily in that order but those are the real high value guys. ....

What i remember from The Little Red Book of Chairman Bill is ...
the first round is reserved for men of rare physique.

Who owns the rare body types this year?

History suggests that an RB is either picked up in FA, traded for, or drafted in later rounds. Unless they change the way they do things, I don't think they'll draft an RB in the first round. I do like Lendale White a lot. But if Jamal Lewis still isn't signed next week or the week after, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats had a good look.

patsox23 said:
I agree. Even as the person who started this thread, I see the need to take other positions. And the ones outlined a couple posts back are great positions for us to look to fill if Lendale isn't there. It's a good year to have a lot of picks.

Yup. And this year's draft is a virtual jackpot for LB/DE, OT, and DB. Look there for our first pick.

That being said, if the right back shows up at #21, and is in BB/SP's value group, they will definitely gobble him up.

shirtsleeve said:
That being said, if the right back shows up at #21, and is in BB/SP's value group, they will definitely gobble him up.

Someone asked Belichick if he would go after Reggie Bush. I believe he said if he falls to 21, he'd definitely have a look. :D

flutie2phelan said:
Who owns the rare body types this year?

Vernon Davis. Too bad he'll probably be gone by 21

smg93 said:
Vernon Davis. Too bad he'll probably be gone by 21

You DO bring up an interesting concept however. Given the uncertainty of Daniel Graham's future with the Pats, the quality of TEs and lack of WRs in this draft I wouldn't be be shocked if the Pats grab a TE if one falls into thier lap.

As for White, I am not certain if the Pats would grab White even if he did fall to them, his work ethic, or lack thereof, seems to be a real potential problem.

I don't want him even. He has trouble keeping his weight in check, can't keep up with weight training regimens, and is ****y as hell. I could see him not putting in the time needed in the NFL and failing miserably. Laurence Maroney is up to 220 pounds though now, and that guy I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes