PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If XXXX was available at 21..who would you take IF available??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I am sure there are scenarios..but what players ahead of them..if fell would you just grab immediately??? Hawk..obviously..who else??

A.J. Hawk? Yeah, we'd take him at 21... why not?:rocker:

First serious response ;) . . . Chad Jackson. I know Belichick doesn't spend a lot on WR but I think he takes Jackson if he slips. I also think he trade up a little if Jackson get to 17 or so.

Donte Whitner

23 players to consider at #21

Hell yeah, Take Him
RB Reggie Bush... duh
OT Brick Ferguson... what's not to like?
DE Mario Williams... fits our profile for an elite DE
NT Haloti Ngata... pure NTs like this only come along once or twice a decade
LB AJ Hawk... perfect skill set; plus he fits a need
S Michael Huff... reading his scouting report is like reading a wish list of everything you'd want in an ideal S prospect

Good at 21
LB Chad Greenway... yeah-- I love seeing him sliding down draft boards
LB Bobby Carpenter... just need to drop his name, again. Worthy of #21
CB Jimmy Williams... I'd like to tone down the attitude, but the physical play is very tempting
TE Vernon Davis... concerned about his blocking; he's more of a pure WR in a TE body
RB Deangelo Williams... love the player, but I would still be a bit disappointed on draft day

Questionable at 21, but still a respectable pick
DB Donte Whitner... I like his makeup; a bit green
CB Richard Marshall... a bit early at 21-- but one of my very favorites
LB Manny Lawson... would be better at #30
WR Santonio Holmes... the only WR I'd even remotely consider in the first round. I think 21 is too high for him, but I'll leave it to BB/SP.

No Way, Trade Down
WR Chad Johnson... one year wonder, way overrated IMO, reputation for not playing physical
OT Winston Justice... maturity and character questions in a first rounder?... not in Foxboro
DE Tamba Hali... to small to be a prototypical DE for the Pats, and too big to play OLB
DT Broderick Bunkley... a guy who was arrested for stealing a video game while in college-- what does that say about his mental makeup?
CB Tye Hill... undersized and a reputation for playing finesse game-- not a hitter
QB... Leinart
QB... Young
QB... Cutler

Last edited:
What do you do if Vince Young is still there at 21?

You would think that someone would want to trade for him, but who?

It could very well happen...
1 Houston- doesn't need a QB
2 New Orleans- doesn't need a QB
3 Tennessee- Takes Lienart
4 N.Y. Jets -could pass on QB, they have both Noodel, and Ramsey
5 Green Bay-drafted Rodgers last year
6 San Francisco-drafted QB #1 last year
7 Oakland-takes Cutler
8 Buffalo- has Losman, Holcomb
9 Detroit- he could go here, maybe they take a WR
10 Arizona- has Warner
11 St. Louis- Bulger
12 Cleveland- another possibilty, but could go another way
13 Baltimore- will sign McNair when he gets released.
14 Philadelphia- McNabb
15 Denver (from Atlanta) -Snake
16 Miami -already traded for Culpepper
17 Minnesota -Johnson
18 Dallas -what's his name, Brady's other back-up in the wings
19 San Diego -already handed the job to the kid from NC State
20 Kansas City -Green
21 New England

The only teams with glaring QB nees are Tennessee (which could keep McNair and be fine at QB), and Oakland. If you think that Lienart and Cutler go there, he could easily slide to #21. Don't forget that McNair will soon be a FA, Kerry Collins is still out there, so teams could go with them also.

I would sya that I would trade the pick if Young falls to #21, but if no one wants the pick, who do you take? It would be a waste for the Pats to draft Young, although he is a winner, he is not replacing Brady in this lifetime, we already have a solid back-up in Kassel, so what do you do? The problem is nobody after #21 needs a QB at all. well maybe Chicago.

hell will freeze over if the vikings pass young with #17, thats their biggest need, to replace cullpepper, and who better then a culpepper clone?

mavfan2390 said:
hell will freeze over if the vikings pass young with #17, thats their biggest need, to replace cullpepper, and who better then a culpepper clone?

Yeah but they might forget they're on the clock.

Beyond that, drafting Young - even if he's what one game made him look like he is - is questionable, even at 21. It means you have to get ready to retool the entire offense, and not for five plus years at that. So, what? He cools his jets for 5 years, learning an offense he won't run? It's just a terrible fit, all talent aside.

But I don't think he slips to 21. He's in the top 3 QBs, and 3 teams definitely need QBs by that time.

PFnV

If for some insane reason Young is still available at 21 (turns out he got a 0 on the wonderlic instead of a 6 or something), you draft him and convert him to a wide reciever. He couldnt really argue since no one selected him as a qb, and frankly I wouldnt be suprised if he ended up playing wr anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes