PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If We Pick At 15

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This means that Belichick couldn't make a deal to get his choice of the top five.

OPTION
Trade down to late in the 1st, picking up a second. Then draft 2 QB's or trade for one and draft one with the resulting 2 picks. For example, we could use our first on Monde and the second on Newman.

THE QUARTERBACKS ARE EXAMPLES
I could see Belichick choosing two others.

This means that Belichick couldn't make a deal to get his choice of the top five.

OPTION
Trade down to late in the 1st, picking up a second. Then draft 2 QB's or trade for one and draft one with the resulting 2 picks. For example, we could use our first on Monde and the second on Newman.

Or maybe it means he decided to stay put?

OPTION

Or. Outside of Lawrence he didn't like any of the others enough to give up 3 firsts

“If you’ve got two quarterbacks, you have none.” - John Madden

Using two early picks on two quarterbacks seems like a waste of resources. The team needs to pick the one it likes most and put their resources into developing him. Plus there are other positions that need addressing both for the short and long term.

They’ve yet to decide whether or not to exercise the 5th year options on Wynn and Michel. Definitely don’t expect them to with Michel since $4m is high for a RB2 with long term degenerative knee concerns. Wynn is good when he’s out there but he’s missed a lot of games in three years so far. Also Trent Brown is a free agent next offseason, as is James White, and Damien Harris is a free agent the year after. Stephon Gilmore and JC Jackson are both slated for free agency next year too. OT, RB, CB are just some of the positions that they’ll want to address, on top of QB.

If he’s available at 15, I can see the Pats selecting Jaycee Horn. May be able to keep Gilmore or Jackson but doubtful of keeping both, and Horn looks the part of a long term CB1.

For those with apprehension of taking a corner in the first, remember this. I’d say the four best corners (talking talent, overall ability, career resume, etc.) to ever suit up for the Patriots, in order of which they joined, were Mike Haynes, Ty Law, Darrelle Revis, and Stephon Gilmore. What do they all have in common, besides Super Bowl rings? They were first round draft choices. Horn has that type of upside. And honestly he might even be gone by the time the Pats pick at 15, so who knows.

Last edited:
“If you’ve got two quarterbacks, you have none.” - John Madden

Using two early picks on two quarterbacks seems like a waste of resources. The team needs to pick the one it likes most and put their resources into developing him. Plus there are other positions that need addressing both for the short and long term.

They’ve yet to decide whether or not to exercise the 5th year options on Wynn and Michel. Definitely don’t expect them to with Michel since $4m is high for a RB2 with long term degenerative knee concerns. Wynn is good when he’s out there but he’s missed a lot of games in three years so far. Also Trent Brown is a free agent next offseason, as is James White, and Damien Harris is a free agent the year after. Stephon Gilmore and JC Jackson are both slated for free agency next year too. OT, RB, CB are just some of the positions that they’ll want to address, on top of QB.

If he’s available at 15, I can see the Pats selecting Jaycee Horn. May be able to keep Gilmore or Jackson but doubtful of keeping both, and Horn looks the part of a long term CB1.

For those with apprehension of taking a corner in the first, remember this. I’d say the four best corners (talking talent, overall ability, career resume, etc.) to ever suit up for the Patriots, in order of which they joined, were Mike Haynes, Ty Law, Darrelle Revis, and Stephon Gilmore. What do they all have in common, besides Super Bowl rings? They were first round draft choices. Horn has that type of upside. And honestly he might even be gone by the time the Pats pick at 15, so who knows.
I see it the same way.

It's kind of a lot to ask of the coaching staff to take in two raw rookie QBs, coach and evaluate them, whilst preparing for a season starting off with Cam, and working out where Stidham fits if at all. It's different than drafting two TEs since you do have a fair number of two TE sets and they do take a lot of hits so are injury risks.

Seems a lot of people want/expect an exciting draft night for us, but history shows we tend to move down a lot...

yay another draft thread...

If we pick at 15 I predict we'll draft a safety that was projected to be drafted in the 7ith round.

You’ve got your rounds backwards. That would be the 2nd round you’re referring to.

Belichick in the first round has been solid gold considering where he drafts just about every season which is 25-32. Not too many give him props for how well he does in the first round. But yeah, last 5 years has been brutal in some regards.

If Horn, Surtain, Parsons or Slater are there make the pick.

If we trade down a few spots and pick up a couple decent picks that we can package to trade into the second im ok with that. But we shouldnt be making more than 7/8 picks

Take BPA at #15 and try to flip our 2nd + other picks to move up in the #33-#36 range on day 2 and take our 2nd tier QB.

No chance Monds, Mills, and Trask are all gone by #36, IMO. It would mean 8 QB's in the top 35....almost 25%!

The "Similar Threads" feature at the bottom of this page lists five "similar threads."
mgteich started 4 of the 5
Who's surprised?

Zuckergoogle is tracking your every thought
Wrap yourself in tinfoil and cut the power

If there's a player available worthy of being picked at #15, I would be in favor of staying put rather than trading down. The team has had plenty of late first round picks recently and many have not worked out - better to grab a quality talent when possible.

If we stay at 15, I believe we'll target an OT or a CB
Assuming that all top 5 QBs, top 3 WRs, Pitts, Sewell, Horn, and Surtain are gone by then, I think I’d want Slater at 15. Then they can decline Wynn’s 5th year option (they have until two days after the draft ends to decide) and proceed with Slater as his 2022 replacement (or 2021 if/when Wynn gets his next injury). Worst case scenario is Wynn plays a full season at a high level and the Pats have the option to franchise him next offseason for more than it would’ve cost to option him and can decide then whether they want to extend him or not. If they do then Slater is the RT of the future, if not then he’s the LT of the future. Wynn/win situation. :)

My wish list of likely available options at 15 are Horn, Surtain, Slater, and Parsons in that order.

OPTION

Trade the first into next year.
Package next years 2 1s to draft a QB.
Accept another lost season with garbage at the most important position.
Unless we can also trade for Garopollo, Mariota or any of the 50 QBs that are better than newton.

Unless we can also trade for Garopollo, Mariota or any of the 50 QBs that are better than newton.
If we aren’t able to move up for a qb we like (which may have already happened if we don’t like any after SF picks) the only way I would pass on someone at 15 to move down is for someone’s 1 next year. Otherwise we need to consolidate some of these picks to move up at certain points this draft. 7 picks max since a lot of our needs going into this offseason were met in FA.

My #1 option would be to trade for Garoppolo (no more than a 2022 second rounder), keep the 15 pick and use it on BPA. Punt QB in this draft and only consider looking for the future if Garoppolo doesn’t pan out.

#2 option would be to sell the farm to get one of the top QBs in this draft.

#3 option (if BB decided to get neither Garoppolo nor a top QB prospect) is BPA at #15 (as with my preference for Slater in my previous post) and then try to draft Mond at 46 if he makes it that far.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back