PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If we lose the next 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRiZ

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
we'll be 7-9. Thats good for pick 13ish in the draft. Even 8-8 would give us around the 15th pick.

You are looking at William Moore, Taylor Mays, Brian Orakpo, Michael Johnson, one of the stud OT's, and a realistic possible trade up for Rey Maualuga, Malcom Jenkins, or Vontae Davis. Getting one of these guys is more important than winning the rest of the games, squeeking into the playoffs, getting bounced in the Wildcard or Divisional, and ending up with the 20th-25th pick in the draft.

we'll be 7-9. Thats good for pick 13ish in the draft. Even 8-8 would give us around the 15th pick.

You are looking at William Moore, Taylor Mays, Brian Orakpo, Michael Johnson, one of the stud OT's, and a realistic possible trade up for Rey Maualuga, Malcom Jenkins, or Vontae Davis. Getting one of these guys is more important than winning the rest of the games, squeeking into the playoffs, getting bounced in the Wildcard or Divisional, and ending up with the 20th-25th pick in the draft.

I hope the team has too much pride to loose the next four just to get a draft pick.

Last edited:
how about we win the next 4 games and make the playoffs

You don't honestly believe that the difference between a 13th and a 20th pick is worth sacraficing all of a teams, self respect, competitive nature, integrity, work ethic, example for younger players and adopting a we are loser attitude

do you really?

Eh. With the way this defense looks, even if we do get into the playoffs if the team looks as sorry as it did in the second half today we're getting knocked out in the opening round. Just an all around pathetic performance today.

There is no way we lose the rest of our games.
While I doubt if we do make the playoff we can do much; I see us going 3-1.
This defense is just bad this year.

Man, I'm starting to remember why I have people on "ignore."

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Herm Edwards would be ashamed. :rolleyes:

you guys are still holding on to that playoff hope, even if we did make the playoffs we arent good enough this year to win the SB. All we are doing is making our 1st round draft pick worse, and actually hurting the pats future in the process. If we dont have the #7 pick in the draft last year, we dont get Jerod Mayo. A guy that will anchor our LB corps for years. The higher the pick we have the better players we can add to the team.

Next year is what its all about. With Brady coming back healthy, and a boatload of draft picks, we return to SB contenders. Thanks to the hilarious Chargers our second round pick is looking really nice in round 2, top 10 pick. Its ok to root for SD to lose for our pick to get better but its not ok to hope that we lose so our 1st rounder gets better? Unless we have a chance at winning the SB this year it would be borderline neanderthal to root for anything other than a higher draft pick.

none of it really matters..
there is no way the pats go 0-4 with that schedule..
worst case 3-1

Next year is what its all about. With Brady coming back healthy, and a boatload of draft picks, we return to SB contenders. Thanks to the hilarious Chargers our second round pick is looking really nice in round 2, top 10 pick. Its ok to root for SD to lose for our pick to get better but its not ok to hope that we lose so our 1st rounder gets better? Unless we have a chance at winning the SB this year it would be borderline neanderthal to root for anything other than a higher draft pick.

I refuse to hope the Patriots lose a game until and unless they are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Besides which, I take a lot of pride in the fact that the Patriots are the only team in the NFL to finish with a winning record every year this decade (2001-2010), and I have no desire to see that change.

And one more thing--I'm sure Cassel would be just thrilled with the idea of tanking the remaining games just to play for a higher draft pick. Of course, you think he's just an utter hack, so that doesn't factor into your calculations.

Last edited:
none of it really matters..
there is no way the pats go 0-4 with that schedule..
worst case 3-1

we could legitly lose to Arizona and Buffalo, and then we got two west coast games in Oakland and Seattle, so its possible if they could choke on one of the west coast games we could be looking at 1-3.

8-8 on the year with pick 15 in the draft, ill take that.

I refuse to hope the Patriots lose a game until and unless they are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Besides which, I take a lot of pride in the fact that the Patriots are the only team in the NFL to finish with a winning record every year this decade (2001-2010), and I have no desire to see that change.

And one more thing--I'm sure Cassel would be just thrilled with the idea of tanking the remaining games just to play for a higher draft pick. Of course, you think he's just an utter hack, so that doesn't factor into your calculations.

nobody is talking about telling them to tank, thats never gunna happen, im just HOPING that they do tank. I can root for them to lose, i dont feel bad about it because i know in the end its the logical thing to do that will ultimately make the Pats BETTER.

Briz I don't know you so basically I have no idea of whether you played team sports. For all I know you were the second-highest Heismann Trophy vote-getter in some year or another, got drafter by Cinci, and couldn't face that future. Or, you could be a guy who never played anything, or you might be someone who played around in the back yard and in youth leagues, like me, then hung it up.

As you can see above, I'm not some kind of jock king. Far from it.

But this suggestion of rooting for losing? It makes even the least jock-kingly among us want to say, "Have you ever actually PLAYED football?"

Now I know, like I said, that you might in fact have a great deal of pride in what turns out to be a distinctive football resume... but playing to lose? Total non-starter.

Especially if some of these guys will be back. You take that pride with you into next year, if you make the most of a bad situation. A few wins, and there are many available on the schedule, and a break or two, and this team exceeds expectations, not only getting into the playoffs, but winning a game or two. My serious expectation is that this team does NOT turn around like the 07 Giants. My expectation is that they miss the playoffs, or barely squeek in, then possibly win in the wild-card round. After that, well, let's just say whatever level of confidence we drum up -- and we will -- will be founded on shaky ground at best. But you never know.

4-0 in December may just get us in, and it's not over til its over.

As for much-beloved draft pick slots and draftable individuals, the Pats never take who you want them to anyway :)... after all we ended up with plain ol' Jerod Mayo instead of every other linebacker our local savants were drooling over. (If we'd only gotten Vernon Gholston!!! Tragedy!) And think what we could have done with Robert Gallery...

The guys who are already here are proven guys in a bad year, not some disposeable resource who understand "it's just business, let's tank this season." Uh-uh.

Root for the worst draft pick we can get, dude. I know it's counterintuitive, but it also means the team is winning.

Maybe Herm should have added an obvious corollary: "... NOT to win the draft!"

Seattle, Oakland, Buffalo - I know they're on the road but we'd damn well better win all three - they SUCK.

Seattle, Oakland, Buffalo - I know they're on the road but we'd damn well better win all three - they SUCK.

hahaha..
they better and if they don't, then the pats don't deserve a playoff spot.

Briz I don't know you so basically I have no idea of whether you played team sports. For all I know you were the second-highest Heismann Trophy vote-getter in some year or another, got drafter by Cinci, and couldn't face that future. Or, you could be a guy who never played anything, or you might be someone who played around in the back yard and in youth leagues, like me, then hung it up.

As you can see above, I'm not some kind of jock king. Far from it.

But this suggestion of rooting for losing? It makes even the least jock-kingly among us want to say, "Have you ever actually PLAYED football?"

Now I know, like I said, that you might in fact have a great deal of pride in what turns out to be a distinctive football resume... but playing to lose? Total non-starter.

Especially if some of these guys will be back. You take that pride with you into next year, if you make the most of a bad situation. A few wins, and there are many available on the schedule, and a break or two, and this team exceeds expectations, not only getting into the playoffs, but winning a game or two. My serious expectation is that this team does NOT turn around like the 07 Giants. My expectation is that they miss the playoffs, or barely squeek in, then possibly win in the wild-card round. After that, well, let's just say whatever level of confidence we drum up -- and we will -- will be founded on shaky ground at best. But you never know.

4-0 in December may just get us in, and it's not over til its over.

As for much-beloved draft pick slots and draftable individuals, the Pats never take who you want them to anyway :)... after all we ended up with plain ol' Jerod Mayo instead of every other linebacker our local savants were drooling over. (If we'd only gotten Vernon Gholston!!! Tragedy!) And think what we could have done with Robert Gallery...

The guys who are already here are proven guys in a bad year, not some disposeable resource who understand "it's just business, let's tank this season." Uh-uh.

Root for the worst draft pick we can get, dude. I know it's counterintuitive, but it also means the team is winning.

Maybe Herm should have added an obvious corollary: "... NOT to win the draft!"

if the team is not winning SB's then they arent winning. This team is a dynasty, its beyond just making the playoffs, or having a winning record at the seasons end. This team wins championships and puts hardware on the shelves and rings on the fingers. The expectations are high around here, anything other than a SB is a failure.

You might think that im strange or a loser for rooting against the team, but actually im probably more hardcore and diabolical of a pats fan than most because i know by losing and getting a high draft pick will make the Pats team better in the end, better than squeeking into the playoffs and losing and having a meaningless season and ending up with a draft pick in the high 20s with no hope of being in range to pick the really impact game changing studs availible at the top of the draft.

The logical thing to do is lose.

if the team is not winning SB's then they arent winning. This team is a dynasty, its beyond just making the playoffs, or having a winning record at the seasons end. This team wins championships and puts hardware on the shelves and rings on the fingers. The expectations are high around here, anything other than a SB is a failure.

You might think that im strange or a loser for rooting against the team, but actually im probably more hardcore and diabolical of a pats fan than most because i know by losing and getting a high draft pick will make the Pats team better in the end, better than squeeking into the playoffs and losing and having a meaningless season and ending up with a draft pick in the high 20s with no hope of being in range to pick the really impact game changing studs availible at the top of the draft.

The logical thing to do is lose.
I sincerely believe you're putting us all on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots