PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans
Search

If this is Bill’s last season as HC, who do you want as a replacement?

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
not sure who will replace BB, but if he gets fired are we going to have a forum dedicated to him so we can still take all things Bill?

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
The personnel is how you know Bill wasn't tanking. He re-signed his guys in Slater and McCourty and franchised a guard for $14 million. He built his "strong middle class" with Beau Allen, Adrian Phillips, Byrd, and Marquise Lee. Almost all the opt outs likely would've made the team and we might have won 9 games instead of 7. Bill basically did what he does every offseason.
You just made me spill my drink.

Strong middle class?
Beau Allen? Byrd? Marquise Lee?

This screams we're tanking. These were all vet minimum contracts.

Let's stop even having this discussion please. It's absolutely preposterous. The names you cite are absolute proof we were doing nothing that year.

For 2 years we endured criticism of Belichick's spending spree and now you flip around and tell us every year Belichick only does vet min signings like he did in 2020

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
Lol that is the exact player you don't bring back in a true rebuild. Guys on the back end of their careers.

Stidham went to a wedding and Bill got pissy.
Bringing back McCourty was just the right thing to do. Bruschi finished his career here when we were 10-6.

Just the right thing to do.

WHy do you go on about Stidham? He sucks. It's completely irrelevant.

Man you've loaded up these discussions with the worst players possible, from Karras to Stidham to Beau allen.

This is all a joke, they are irrelevant. There was no hope that Stidham would mean anything for us. The coaches knew this from practice. They see it every day.

When players like this suck, it's not because the coaches aren't giving them a chance. It's because they suck. How do I know? Because they never go on to do anything anywhere else.

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
We have no clue what goes on behind the scenes of any NYFL team but especially this one. It's funny how the players' contract numbers are a constant drumbeat but not the coaches' contracts.

I'm pretty sure that Bob and Bill have sat down and gone over all the options. Hopefully we can get something for him if he goes elsewhere.
Agreed. RK and BB have absolutely gone over a succession plan these two men are very intelligent successful men they absolutely have planned for the future. I believe coaches contracts should be disclosed as the players have too. Right now everyone on offense except for Rham and KB should be made available. When the new regime takes over I believe Rham and KB could be part of that. At 72 you wonder if he just wants to walk away and spend his days on Nantucket..

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Bill knew the whole team was done by 2020 because everyone was leaving and we were going to take all the dead money and dump it into that year. Brady was already upset with 2019, imagine him playing with even LESS!!?

To top it off, Brady met with the Dolphins owner on his yacht, which was sprung onto Brian Flores, prior to the 2019 season. WHILE he was still a Patriot. Realize that these are adults and they make moves for their careers accordingly. I don't blame Brady one bit, but maybe consider he had already contacted the Dolphins with 1 year left on his Patriots contract.

The Phins actually lost a big draft pick for that move.
Even before then, Bill wanted to drop Brady for Garoppolo. That should have been an early clue.

venecol

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions

Ras-IR Dowling

2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Kingsbury had a losing record as a college HC. Riley has a 72-14 record.

I’ll admit the kingsbury comp was a bit harsh.

His college record is great. I am a little concerned of hiring a guy who’s coming from the big12/pac12 where opposing defenses are suspect at best. Once Riley’s teams ran into the SECs best in the playoffs his defenses couldn’t stop a nosebleed.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
Bringing back McCourty was just the right thing to do. Bruschi finished his career here when we were 10-6.

Just the right thing to do.

WHy do you go on about Stidham? He sucks. It's completely irrelevant.

Man you've loaded up these discussions with the worst players possible, from Karras to Stidham to Beau allen.

This is all a joke, they are irrelevant. There was no hope that Stidham would mean anything for us. The coaches knew this from practice. They see it every day.

When players like this suck, it's not because the coaches aren't giving them a chance. It's because they suck. How do I know? Because they never go on to do anything anywhere else.

You just made me spill my drink.

Strong middle class?
Beau Allen? Byrd? Marquise Lee?

This screams we're tanking. These were all vet minimum contracts.

Let's stop even having this discussion please. It's absolutely preposterous. The names you cite are absolute proof we were doing nothing that year.

For 2 years we endured criticism of Belichick's spending spree and now you flip around and tell us every year Belichick only does vet min signings like he did in 2020
You're so all over the place it's impossible to follow along. 2020 Bill signed a veteran quarterback and played him every game he was healthy even when it was evident he couldn't play. It isn't about Stidham being some diamond in the rough. I don't know why people act like if a guy isn't a potential starter at QB he has absolutely no value. For the third time now, bringing back Slater and McCourty and franchising a guard and not trading a corner that could have likely brought back a day 2 pick are not actions of a tanking team. Beau Allen, Adrian Phillips, Marquis Lee, Dameire Byrd are the same thing as Henry Anderson, Mike Pennel, Terrence Brooks, Phillip Dorsett, Chris Hogan, etc. It's the same way Bill always built a roster. It only looked like tanking because we went from the greatest quarterback of all time to a broken Cam Newton. Bill didn't head into 2020 trying to tank. Bill did the same exact thing he did for the 20 years prior. He signed JAGs to bargain deals. It just doesn't work without Brady which is why he switched his offseason strategy in 2021 and, surprise, that didn't work either.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
Even before then, Bill wanted to drop Brady for Garoppolo. That should have been an early clue.
And of course this was all a lie made up by a NY Jets writer.

Because the GM of San Fran is on record with ESPN telling them the exact opposite of this happened. Lynch said Belichick refused to discuss a trade of Brady.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reactions
You're so all over the place it's impossible to follow along. 2020 Bill signed a veteran quarterback and played him every game he was healthy even when it was evident he couldn't play. It isn't about Stidham being some diamond in the rough. I don't know why people act like if a guy isn't a potential starter at QB he has absolutely no value. For the third time now, bringing back Slater and McCourty and franchising a guard and not trading a corner that could have likely brought back a day 2 pick are not actions of a tanking team. Beau Allen, Adrian Phillips, Marquis Lee, Dameire Byrd are the same thing as Henry Anderson, Mike Pennel, Terrence Brooks, Phillip Dorsett, Chris Hogan, etc. It's the same way Bill always built a roster. It only looked like tanking because we went from the greatest quarterback of all time to a broken Cam Newton. Bill didn't head into 2020 trying to tank. Bill did the same exact thing he did for the 20 years prior. He signed JAGs to bargain deals. It just doesn't work without Brady which is why he switched his offseason strategy in 2021 and, surprise, that didn't work either.
I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you.

1. The QBs sucked
2. The FAs sucked.
3. He wasn't building that to win.
4. In uncharacteristic fashion, he plainly told the media what was going on with the cap. He blew it out for 2018-2019.

We were all stunned that he said that. It was as close as you're going to get to what happened with the Rams last year. There are 3 people from 202o still on the team. Most of the rest were gone by 2022.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions

1. The QBs sucked
2. The FAs sucked.
4. In uncharacteristic fashion, he plainly told the media what was going on with the cap. He blew it out for 2018-2019.

We were all stunned that he said that. It was as close as you're going to get to what happened with the Rams last year. There are 3 people from 202o still on the team. Most of the rest were gone by 2022.
You could say that each year without Brady. It is the guy picking the QB and free agents that sucks. He isn't building to win because without Brady because he can't. The reason that most of those players from 2020 are gone is because it was a combination of older vets and bad draft picks. Both groups are gone because they can't play. In theory N'Keal Harry would have been re-signed or on his 5th year option, Isiah Wynn would be a fixture at LT, Winovich would be putting up 10 sacks a year, Jonnu would be scoring TDs and be a matchup problem for the defense. None of those things happened because Bill has whiffed continuously in the last few years with roster construction.

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Agreed. RK and BB have absolutely gone over a succession plan these two men are very intelligent successful men they absolutely have planned for the future. I believe coaches contracts should be disclosed as the players have too. Right now everyone on offense except for Rham and KB should be made available. When the new regime takes over I believe Rham and KB could be part of that. At 72 you wonder if he just wants to walk away and spend his days on Nantucket..
I can't figure out what Bill's trying to do. His moves have become so bad that he's actually being accused of tanking here. It's funny because I was talking to a young guy last night about the possibility of Bill tanking, but every time I made any point he simply shook his head no and said "nope, it's Belichick and he needs to go." It's amazing how far he has fallen.

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Boston media already pushing Sean McVay. They are saying if Bob is going to make a move, he's got to start doing it now behind the scenes.

Ice_Ice_Brady

The Times They Are A-Changin’
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
So Bill didn't get a first round offer so he took his ball and went home? Then traded him a year later for a 6th. Chess > checkers.

Similar to Jimmy. Would only trade him for “a king’s ransom” per Schefter, which was multiple first round picks. Passed on at least a first from Browns. Three months later trades for second round pick. In both situations multiple teams told reporters they would have given up more but didn’t know player was available.

Since around 2017 Bill is the worst GM in the NFL. It isn’t just drafting. It isn’t just FAs. It isn’t just trades. It isn’t just staff hires. It’s all those things.

Ice_Ice_Brady

The Times They Are A-Changin’
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions

1. The QBs sucked
2. The FAs sucked.

If he wasn’t building to win, where are all those draft picks and young players he’s traded for?

On point 4, give examples of how he “blew it out” with the cap. The team made no splash signings and were conservative with restructuring. “Fiscal responsibility”…Bill built it so they would be able to keep on chugging post-Brady. His retconning of the situation made me start to really lose respect for him as an excuse maker and gaslighter. You should compare this supposed “cap hell” they were in compared to teams that actually did what Bill claimed he did. Saints and Rams come to mind.

PatsfanTN

In the Starting Line-Up
Reactions
Boston media already pushing Sean McVay. They are saying if Bob is going to make a move, he's got to start doing it now behind the scenes.
I don’t get this, isn’t he wishy washy about even coaching in the future?

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
Ben Johnson

Mike Vrabel (if fired)

SF OC

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I don’t get this, isn’t he wishy washy about even coaching in the future?
Yeah McVay is moving to Foxborough Massachusetts to coach a worse team lol. I think chargers is more likely for him if he jumps ship. Stays in his house and gets a star QV.

Real fan 02

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reactions
I can't figure out what Bill's trying to do. His moves have become so bad that he's actually being accused of tanking here. It's funny because I was talking to a young guy last night about the possibility of Bill tanking, but every time I made any point he simply shook his head no and said "nope, it's Belichick and he needs to go." It's amazing how far he has fallen.
Yeah. As they say you make your bed, you lay in it. His roster decisions have come to a head. Finally have come home to roost.. 1-5 is what it took for him to be fully exposed as a GM and now RK is likely to make change all be it amicably. Bruschi a BB loyalist says he will walk away after this season.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions
Similar to Jimmy. Would only trade him for “a king’s ransom” per Schefter, which was multiple first round picks. Passed on at least a first from Browns. Three months later trades for second round pick. In both situations multiple teams told reporters they would have given up more but didn’t know player was available.

Since around 2017 Bill is the worst GM in the NFL. It isn’t just drafting. It isn’t just FAs. It isn’t just trades. It isn’t just staff hires. It’s all those things.
Cause he's Bill fcuking Belichick and he's just smarter than everyone. Playing checkers while the league plays chess. Who's gonna argue with that?

Patriots Slater Calling It Quits After 16 Seasons
Patriots News 2-18, The Draft, Free Agency, and “The Dynasty”
MORSE: The Young Guns Patriots New Defensive Coaches
MORSE: Introducing the New Patriots Front Office
49ers Had a Chance, But Questionable Decisions Cost Them in Loss to Chiefs
Patriots News 2-11, Hightower Returns, Staff, Front Office Thoughts
Ranking The 57 Super Bowls From Worst To Best
Wolf’s Ascension Hopefully Will Help Patriots Fix One Key Problem Moving Forward
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2 – Post College All-Star Games
Felger and Lombardi Interview: Two Sides Argue “The Laziest Narrative” on Belichick