PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that BOTH Van Noy and Hightower never came off the field and Harmon only got 2 defensive snaps all game.

So the Pats were playing the team with the most potent and dangerous receiver talent in the league and kept 2 LB's on the field all game. Curious

they decided getting after mahomes was more effective

The Patriots had the better team

Way more yards (524-290) and time of possession (40-20)

Turned the ball over twice (and lost penalty battle) yet still won

Pats mistakes led to 13 point turnaround. Brady interception(3pts), Edelman topped interception (7pts) and 4th and 1 stop (3pts)

KC mistakes were the overthrow to Williams and Ford’s offsides, but that Ford play was only important because the Pats played some uncharacteristic football

I don't know, Andy, I tend to enjoy the blow outs more. FAR more relaxing, with all the pleasures of wins
I enjoy the excitement.

Interesting that BOTH Van Noy and Hightower never came off the field and Harmon only got 2 defensive snaps all game.

So the Pats were playing the team with the most potent and dangerous receiver talent in the league and kept 2 LB's on the field all game. Curious

Not too surprising considering expected game plan was nickel + small dime most of the time . and KC did little on the ground to change it . both KVN and High had DE snaps as well in dime packages

Here a write-up on specific coverages:
Bill Belichick made yet another gutsy CB decision in a big game. This time, it worked.

quote:
“Cornerback Jon Jones took Hill, with help from safety Devin McCourty over the top. Cornerback JC Jackson took Kelce. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore took receiver Sammy Watkins. Cornerback Jason McCourty took whatever extra receiver was on the field (Chris Conley and Demarcus Robinson). Safety Patrick Chung and linebacker Kyle Van Noy generally took care of the fullback, the second tight end and, at times, the running backs.

It’s also worth noting one last element of what Belichick did with his cornerbacks. In the final nine minutes of the game, Belichick and Flores had one more surprise for Mahomes. They moved Gilmore onto Kelce and Jackson onto Watkins. ”

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time in a year and a half I've logged in and posted. It is to thank you for your Idle Thoughts. The other time was for the same reason a few weeks back. You are the best read anywhere, Ken.
Add me to that list, as it has been a while since I contributed, even though I remain a regular reader. Patfanken has always been my goto post when it appears. I hope this temporary hiatus from retirement remains for many years to come.

BTW- the reason we didn't see Michel much in the 4th quarter was that he had taken 29 attempts (19 in the first half) and was pretty much done at that point. 29 rushes is a lot for a back his size.

Ken, probably already said, but the primary reason I saw was ability to change the play at the line. Burkhead can do all four things necessary in that scenario - run, pass, blitz p/u and chip. Not saying that Michel can't but we haven't seen it to this point.

Additionally, I think they wanted the freshest legs out there for 4th/OT to your point, but it wasn't the only reason.

The Patriots had the better team

Way more yards (524-290) and time of possession (40-20)

Turned the ball over twice (and lost penalty battle) yet still won

Pats mistakes led to 13 point turnaround. Brady interception(3pts), Edelman topped interception (7pts) and 4th and 1 stop (3pts)

KC mistakes were the overthrow to Williams and Ford’s offsides, but that Ford play was only important because the Pats played some uncharacteristic football

Wow, had no idea yards was that one sided. The turnovers and failed 4th were killer. Ive got to think if this game were in foxboro itd have looked more like the sd game. So relieved losing out on the one seed didn’t ultimately cost us a sb trip, I think were clearly the better team right now. They just converted on basically every opportunity and mistake kudos to them. Almost stole one

My idle thought. After a season of inconsistent play (except for the vikings game) it was like the team flipped a switch staring with the jete game and have played like the team we know and love. Pretty amazing.

Thanks Ken. Great post, as always. Agreed on Flores. We'll miss him.

Brady didn’t see the LB. If he had he would have lofted it over him.
The play action was a good call.
I have no problem with the call unlike some others. I think that Brady didn't either. By all rights it SHOULD have worked, since the Pats had been gashing KC on the ground to that point. But to KC's credit BOTH the man in coverage on Gronk and Ragland did their job and for some reason weren't fooled. My only real complaint with Brady was that usually he errs on the side of an overthrow, where in this one it was a bit under thrown.

I'm sure he's a lot more pissed off at himself, than I am.

After the year that Michel has given us, how can anybody say they are not thrilled about using a first round pick on a rb?

I NEVER say things like this, but last night on multiple occasions I said “you can’t beat a good team AND the league.” The officiating was nauseating.

I NEVER say things like this, but last night on multiple occasions I said “you can’t beat a good team AND the league.” The officiating was nauseating.
Thankfully, we were able to overcome it this time. Unlike the Saints.

On KC's 4th quarter go-ahead drive, they only had two plays with positive yardage. The rest were gifted by the referees.

Josh was good at the end. Great play design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back