PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Idle Thoughts: The "why do I feel so bad about a 23 pt. victory" edition.

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, let me explain about the title of this week's missive.

I'm a New Englander, born and bred. Dorchestah Ken, raised in the shadow of the Franklin Field Projects and imbued with the torture of being a life long Boston sports fan. A sports fan who was taught (for the first 57 years of his life), that the Yankees would steal your dessert and break your heart EVERY season. A sports fan who could ignore all the success of the Celtics the occasional success of the Bruins. A fan who had it beaten in him that no matter how good it looked right now, the WORST was right around the corner. Over 20 years of unprecedented success of the Pats and ALL the championships that have come these past 2 decades we CANNOT overcome the joy of those 12 Championships SHOULD have brought and instead focused and agonized about the 3 Super bowl loses and what might have been. I'm a guy who would actually trade 2 of those banners for the one "Perfect Season". In other words, I'm another seriously F#cked up New Englander who worries about a harsh winter in August. We are a tough hard nosed people. The kind you want at your back in a bar fight, but not at your wedding, if you know what I mean. I can't help it.

So while watching this game the slowly increasing margin on the scoreboard didn't seem to register while Tennessee ripped off long run after long run, that never seamed to stop. I mean it was 270 FREAKIN'yards. SEVEN ypc for God's sake! When had that EVER happened, . I was pulling my hair out most of the game waiting for it to stop (and I don't have any to spare)....and it never did. So here we are with another double digit win (23 points) and I'm wondering HOW will we manage another win, especially one in Buffalo. Pretty sick right? So before I revert to type, lets start this break down with the positive things about this game/

1. Mac Jones - Yeah, he was wildly inaccurate, ONLY throwing for a 72% completion rate. :rolleyes: and 310 yds. IIRC that's only his 2nd 300 yd game. Each game, it seems that Josh expands the playbook just a bit more and his YPC grows. Today it was a VERY healthy 9.7 yds per catch. The dink and dunk label will quickly fade if this progression continues. In 2001 Tom Brady threw for 2845 yds with 18 TD and 12 picks.. Today with 5 games left, Mac inched past that mark currently at 2850 with 16 TD's and 8 picks. Admittedly the game HAS changed and 3000+ yds is no longer a good season for an NFL QB, but given all the Brady comparisons that will to continue to come his way, I couldn't help myself with this one. Bottom line the Pats had 10 drives and 9 of them ended in scores. Red zone issues aside, that's a hell of a good outcome.

On the negative side, there were the 2 obvious misses of wide open targets and the 2 sacks he took, that I believe, down the road, he would have evaded. Neither were blind side types. He needs to learn to avoid those at least some of the times. He HAS the athletic ability to make it happen. I also wished his play action pass fakes were a little more realistic. But that aside it was another positive step into his career

2. The RB's - When your Running game is THE key element in your offense and you can't seem to run the ball, you SHOULD be in a lot of trouble. For most of this game the Pats RB's were STONED at the LOS. The only run of the day that had an obvious hole was Smith's 9 yd scamper early in the game. It was bad. Even when they did finally break through late in the 4th quarter 90% of those good runs were all about the RB's and not about any holes that were created. That one long run by Stevenson should be on a highlight reel.. Still that late surge left the RB's with an acceptable 4 ypc on 19 carries. Seemed like a lot less while you were watching.

3. The OL - Mac claimed in his presser that he only got hit 2 times aside for the 2 sacks; The reality was a bit higher with ESPN counting 7 QB hits (btw-does that number count the sacks as hits? Anyone know?) Not too bad against a very good DL. BTW - IIRC Harold Landry will become a FA after this season. With a 4.6 forty and a 6.8 three cone and over 20 sacks through his first 3 seasons, the former BC grad might just want to come home. Just sayin'...
On the negative side, Karras is hoping he never has to face Jeffery Simmonds again this season. His stats are NOT going to look good. I thought Wynn played fairly well, but he took another holding penalty this week that marred his overall performance. ouch!

4. The TE's The Pats tried to get Smith going early and he wound up with 3 catches in 4 targets. Henry OTOH, caught only 2 in 5 targets, not that he didn't get open. Here's hoping that Smith's 50 yds is just a taste of what he can bring to the offense. Had Mac hit Hunter those 2 times, it would have been a much better day for the TE's.

6. WR's - Myers continues to expand his range as he averaged over 19 ypc today and was tantalizingly close to his first 100 yd game (98 yds) Jacobi came into the league with UDFA grades at the combine just barely running a 4.6 forty and a 7.10 3-cone. I can't help but wonder if he was timed today if those times were significantly faster. The OTHER former QB who transitioned to WR didn't break on to the scene until his 5 year in the system and look how that one turned out. Bill might not be able to DRAFT WR's, but he CAN develop them.

Kendrick Bourne is looking more and more like the WR we all hoped he would be when he was signed. Easy to see why the Niners were loathe to see him go. He has a very infectious energy. Reiss rightly commented that it was interesting to see how everyone of his teammates "light up" when they talk about him. He's looking more and more comfortable in the offense and very happy to be here. Remember he's on a very team friendly 3 year contract at about 5-6MM per year.

For a team that didn't know who as going to an effective receiving target before the season, and LOST the only consistent target from the past in White, The Pats currently can look to 5 guys, beyond the RB's, Josh is going to get his ideal. lots of guys to target, with no one individual that teams can target.

7. Defense - Has a Bill Bellichick defense EVER given up 270 yds on the ground during his time in NE, or anywhere else for that matter. It was really awful. I guess it only shows how different game to game the results can be. IIRC the Pats did a GREAT job stopping the run last week and pretty much all through this winning streak. Today....not so much. A 5 yd gain felt like a win. It is literally shocking that you can give up THAT many rushing yds and only allow 13 points. Of course 4 TO's can cure a LOT of defensive deficiencies.

But here's the thing, you cannot COUNT on TO's to bail you out EVERY week, because the next deflection will hit the ground like most do. The next time there is is a fumble the kicked ball doesn't wind in YOUR arms, or the punched out ball rolls out of bounds. In other words, some games the ball doesn't bounce your way. IIRC in the 2010 superbowl the Pats D created 4 Giant fumbles and only recovered one. If just ONE more ball bounced the Pats way, there would have been a 7th pelt on the wall. BUT you can't count on your opponent to turn the ball over to win games. About the only thing you can do about TO's is not create them for the other team. THAT to some extent you can control. But counting of 4 TO's per game or the like is NOT sustainable. We are on a great TO run during this streak, but BELIEVE me, it will not last.

a. front -7 - They did a fair job putting pressure on Tannehill, but not like last week. 2 sacks, 5 QB hits was OK. They only passed the ball 21 times. Why would they throw given how effective the run game was. Clearly there WAS some kind of structural issue that needs to be fixed and I'm sure it will be addressed and it won't be as bad next week. My concern was that in the past when we were being gashed like that it would be addressed THAT game. Whatever changes they tried this game just wasn't working. 270 yds is 270 yds.

A good playoff team (and this isn't one yet, you need 9 wins just be be better than .500 and it takes 11 to ensure a playoff appearance) can make adjustments week to week to shore up weaknesses. Lets see if a bad running team like Buffalo can crack this front 7 agaiin.

b Secondary - Tannehill started out this game 8 for 8 and wound up 11 for 21. So the secondary, at least, stopped an early bleed.

Eye test only, but doesn't it seem like Jalen Mills has been much more consistent in his coverage the last few games. I mean, he's a guy that going to be targeted with JC on the other side, but he made play after play on the ball in this one.

I would have liked to see Devon make that tackle at the end of the first half. It would have been a tough one in the open field, but still.

ST's - Hard to say enough superlatives about Nick Folk again and again. I liked the idea that Steven Gotskowski was in the stands for this game and watched as Folk broke his record with his 5th 50+ yarder of the season. What a season.

Gunner is a GREAT punt returner again with an 11 yd average in this game and as fearless as ever. I still have hope for him as a receiver when I realized that Julian didn't break out until his FIFTH season, and this is Gunner's 3rd. Just sayin'

8. And its on to Buffalo. I wish I knew what to say. It will be a wild one for sure. The Bills fans know how to welcome the Pats to their home. There will be a run on those long tables this week in preparation, not to mention bildos. ;) Mac will have to go back to his Auburn memories to compare this kind of hostile environment. My mind is blank as to any analysis. Just that the Bills loss was just a blip on their season. the kind of anomaly that should be completely discarded. Talent wise, I think they will be the best team the Pats have faced thus far and the biggest test of the season. This WILL NOT be a double digit win and the six wins in a row Patriots will likely be underdogs going in. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

9. The rest of the NFL comments

a. The Jets might have won today, but Wilson is still a mess and didn't contribute to the win.

b. Miami is on a bit of a hot streak of its own. It's offense is slowly becoming competent, while it's defense is rounding into one of the best in the league during this run. Keep that in mind come late December down there.

c. Colts Buc's was a GREAT game. I only saw bits of it during commercials, but Brady looked up and down with only 224 yds and a pick, but in the end with 2 minutes left and 75 yds to go, Brady guided the Bucs to the winning score. Did you expect anything else. ;)
The Colts are a very good team right now and probably should have won the game if they had taken better care of the ball. But lets focus on one game at a time.

d. The Rams Packer game was evidently a good one as well. I only mention it because I NEEDED the Pack to win so I could salvage a 3-2 week for my pool. I'm now in 40th place (out of 148) and only 2.5 games out of the money. I can't believe the Eagles took a dump in NY, and I can't believe I listened to "smart guys" to touted the Steelers and not gone with my gut chose of the Bengals. Oh what COULD have been.

OK that should get things rolling. Meanwhile I'm going to revisit the 86 World series and increase my misery index all these wins are threatening me to break out into a smile. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy,......AND comment.

"

Last edited:
6 in a row feels good:
- JC Jackson and Judon are studs.
- And Steve Belichick is doing a great job.
- PatsD has only given up 10.5 pts/game the last 6 weeks.

But the team does have flaws that will result in a playoff exit if not rectified:
- Godchaux and Bentley can't stop the run. High tackle games for them correlate with crappy runD.
- Pats offense stalled out about 6 times in scoring position.
- I don't know why but they are awesome in a power run offense but keep going back to crappy spread shotgun in the middle of games. Mac was 11/11 in play action. Just RUN and then go play action as the go-to every game. Not as a last resort when crappy spread shotgun fails or when the team is 2-4.

Comments:

- I believe QB hits are a standalone stat, otherwise they wouldn’t mention QB hits AND sacks at the same time.

- The run D was terrible today, but that was some good play calling by the Titans and really good push up front too. The other guys get paid too and I wouldn’t want to see them again with Henry, Brown, and Jones in the lineup.

- Mac seemed to have trouble gripping the ball at the top of his delivery today, IMO. This led to some high throws. It was a wet game today….something to watch going forward.

- Yup, can’t rely on turnovers.

- God, I love Judon…even started wearing red sleeves under my Slater game day jersey!

This team has been such a joy to watch. Cleaning up the cap and retooling the roster so quickly last season appears to be another masterstroke by BB in roster management. Thought McD called a brilliant game. Despite the running game struggling they were able to march the ball up and down the field consistently and only punted once. Run defense was obviously an issue but it has not been a trend so I'm hoping it was just a bad game/fluke. Can't wait for next week.

- the Pats seemed to move the ball with easy through air, not so much on the ground, but Titans have one of the better D#, still put 36 points up and should have at least 40
- Mac looked off on some throws and still had 300 something yards and 2 TD without a TO, thats great for a rookie in cold weather against a good opponent, he has to learn to escape this blitzers or get rid of the ball faster, on the other hand rather have him sacked with 14yards loss than throwing an INT
- Stevenson is a far better pure runner than Harris, would love to see Stevenson more when we go heavy run
- Red Zone scoring troubles are back on, McD has to get more creative there and the players have to execute better
- Run D# looked horrible yesterday, the Titans O-Line had a great game and the offensive holdings were not called once which is another frustrating storie with this refs, but glad they throw flags on the Pats O-Line every single game, **** them zebras
- I am, to be honnest, not really looking forward to meet the Titans again in January with healthy Henry and AJ Brown, offense has to score TD on each drive and win out by outscouring them
- BB has to go for Davis or another NT to help the run D# next draft, thinking back of Wilfork thats the guy we need on the D-Line
- Month of December is your Play-off month already, 3 very difficult (but must win) games and a well needed bye week to rest after a long run
- huge game against the Bills next week, Pats have to win somehow to keep the top spot and keep the momentum going into the bye week before the Colts are next up, tough games going forward as Dolphins got themselves into a winning streak as well, wouldn't count the Jags game as a gimmick as well, have to stay focused

Last edited:
Overall, it was a pretty good performance. Their D-Line and O-Line both bullied ours. McCourty and Hightower are really showing their age in the open field now, it's going to be a big draft for us in 2022, because we'll need to find successors to those two legends.

Not gonna panic about the run d. The team is not a finished product yet, you are going to show some weaknesses over the course of the year and they still made up for it elsewhere. I recall our 2001 team yielding 193 rushing yards to the awful Carolina panthers right before the playoffs. The important thing right now is you keep winning, build confidence, and stay healthy.

- The run D was terrible today, but that was some good play calling by the Titans and really good push up front too. The other guys get paid too and I wouldn’t want to see them again with Henry, Brown, and Jones in the lineup.
I was saying in the almost two weeks leading up to the game that the Titans are built just like the old Giants/Patriots teams. Trench warfare experts with good TEs (which will only get better as their stars come back). Not only do they get paid too - but they have historical data backing up that they are paid SPECIFICALLY to do what they did to the Pats D yesterday.

However, with that realization, some hope, should by any stretch the Patriots have to face them again (doubtful in my mind, but you never know).

One, yesterday was a return to the 2-4 team's poor fundamentals - tackling and angles were as horrible as many have indicated. Lots of arm tackle tries and being out of position resorting to diving attempts. That can be cleaned up.

Two, after seeing the way they were run on, but at the same time shut down the pass, the scheme may have room to take some risk to address the run better (they're not going to stop that team running, but getting it from 7 YPC to 4 would be massive).

Tennessee is a good team with good coaches, to expect them to lay down and not have been this competitive is folly. The Titans game plan was to utilize the ground game and the Pats were not either prepared or not focused. Vrabel grew up in this system and is a proponent of the next man up philosophy, a BB clone.

Our D made some adjustments and shut down Tannehill (never liked him as a QB). Meanwhile our O showed some + signs after a week of weeping and gnashing about Johnnu Smith, he played well (4 targets & 3 receptions), Bourne's 2 TD's are worthy of merit and every week become even more convinced about Mac Jones.. (71% completion rate).

I like the way this team is trending and moving along, for those pundits who thought the game was passing BB by, were not paying attention. and just trying to appeal to readers who love to wallow in the crap.

Next up is Buffalo, then a nice bye week before the final 4 games..

Strange game. Thankfully the Pats forced some turnovers to mask their ineptitude in defending the run.

I would like to see MAC roll out as soon as he sees that deep safety blitz up the middle rather than try to stand in the pocket.

Haven’t seen snap counts, but did Barmore even play yesterday? I saw he was active, but never heard his name mentioned as a play maker?

6 in a row feels good:
- JC Jackson and Judon are studs.
- And Steve Belichick is doing a great job.
- PatsD has only given up 10.5 pts/game the last 6 weeks.

But the team does have flaws that will result in a playoff exit if not rectified:
- Godchaux and Bentley can't stop the run. High tackle games for them correlate with crappy runD.
- Pats offense stalled out about 6 times in scoring position.
- I don't know why but they are awesome in a power run offense but keep going back to crappy spread shotgun in the middle of games. Mac was 11/11 in play action. Just RUN and then go play action as the go-to every game. Not as a last resort when crappy spread shotgun fails or when the team is 2-4.
Wait a minute... I was told Stephen was only on the team because of his family links.

Haven’t seen snap counts, but did Barmore even play yesterday? I saw he was active, but never heard his name mentioned as a play maker?
he looked banged up already in the first Titans series, it took him some time to get up again after a Titans run, I think he is banged up and needs some well deserved bye week rather soon like others on this team

OK, let me explain about the title of this week's missive.

I'm a New Englander, born and bred. Dorchestah Ken, raised in the shadow of the Franklin Field Projects and imbued with the torture of being a life long Boston sports fan. A sports fan who was taught (for the first 57 years of his life), that the Yankees would steal your dessert and break your heart EVERY season. A sports fan who could ignore all the success of the Celtics the occasional success of the Bruins. A fan who had it beaten in him that no matter how good it looked right now, the WORST was right around the corner. Over 20 years of unprecedented success of the Pats and ALL the championships that have come these past 2 decades we CANNOT overcome the joy of those 12 Championships SHOULD have brought and instead focused and agonized about the 3 Super bowl loses and what might have been. I'm a guy who would actually trade 2 of those banners for the one "Perfect Season". In other words, I'm another seriously F#cked up New Englander who worries about a harsh winter in August. We are a tough hard nosed people. The kind you want at your back in a bar fight, but not at your wedding, if you know what I mean. I can't help it.

So while watching this game the slowly increasing margin on the scoreboard didn't seem to register while Tennessee ripped off long run after long run, that never seamed to stop. I mean it was 270 FREAKIN'yards. SEVEN ypc for God's sake! When had that EVER happened, . I was pulling my hair out most of the game waiting for it to stop (and I don't have any to spare)....and it never did. So here we are with another double digit win (23 points) and I'm wondering HOW will we manage another win, especially one in Buffalo. Pretty sick right? So before I revert to type, lets start this break down with the positive things about this game/

1. Mac Jones - Yeah, he was wildly inaccurate, ONLY throwing for a 72% completion rate. :rolleyes: and 310 yds. IIRC that's only his 2nd 300 yd game. Each game, it seems that Josh expands the playbook just a bit more and his YPC grows. Today it was a VERY healthy 9.7 yds per catch. The dink and dunk label will quickly fade if this progression continues. In 2001 Tom Brady threw for 2845 yds with 18 TD and 12 picks.. Today with 5 games left, Mac inched past that mark currently at 2850 with 16 TD's and 8 picks. Admittedly the game HAS changed and 3000+ yds is no longer a good season for an NFL QB, but given all the Brady comparisons that will to continue to come his way, I couldn't help myself with this one. Bottom line the Pats had 10 drives and 9 of them ended in scores. Red zone issues aside, that's a hell of a good outcome.

On the negative side, there were the 2 obvious misses of wide open targets and the 2 sacks he took, that I believe, down the road, he would have evaded. Neither were blind side types. He needs to learn to avoid those at least some of the times. He HAS the athletic ability to make it happen. I also wished his play action pass fakes were a little more realistic. But that aside it was another positive step into his career

2. The RB's - When your Running game is THE key element in your offense and you can't seem to run the ball, you SHOULD be in a lot of trouble. For most of this game the Pats RB's were STONED at the LOS. The only run of the day that had an obvious hole was Smith's 9 yd scamper early in the game. It was bad. Even when they did finally break through late in the 4th quarter 90% of those good runs were all about the RB's and not about any holes that were created. That one long run by Stevenson should be on a highlight reel.. Still that late surge left the RB's with an acceptable 4 ypc on 19 carries. Seemed like a lot less while you were watching.

3. The OL - Mac claimed in his presser that he only got hit 2 times aside for the 2 sacks; The reality was a bit higher with ESPN counting 7 QB hits (btw-does that number count the sacks as hits? Anyone know?) Not too bad against a very good DL. BTW - IIRC Harold Landry will become a FA after this season. With a 4.6 forty and a 6.8 three cone and over 20 sacks through his first 3 seasons, the former BC grad might just want to come home. Just sayin'...
On the negative side, Karras is hoping he never has to face Jeffery Simmonds again this season. His stats are NOT going to look good. I thought Wynn played fairly well, but he took another holding penalty this week that marred his overall performance. ouch!

4. The TE's The Pats tried to get Smith going early and he wound up with 3 catches in 4 targets. Henry OTOH, caught only 2 in 5 targets, not that he didn't get open. Here's hoping that Smith's 50 yds is just a taste of what he can bring to the offense. Had Mac hit Hunter those 2 times, it would have been a much better day for the TE's.

6. WR's - Myers continues to expand his range as he averaged over 19 ypc today and was tantalizingly close to his first 100 yd game (98 yds) Jacobi came into the league with UDFA grades at the combine just barely running a 4.6 forty and a 7.10 3-cone. I can't help but wonder if he was timed today if those times were significantly faster. The OTHER former QB who transitioned to WR didn't break on to the scene until his 5 year in the system and look how that one turned out. Bill might not be able to DRAFT WR's, but he CAN develop them.

Kendrick Bourne is looking more and more like the WR we all hoped he would be when he was signed. Easy to see why the Niners were loathe to see him go. He has a very infectious energy. Reiss rightly commented that it was interesting to see how everyone of his teammates "light up" when they talk about him. He's looking more and more comfortable in the offense and very happy to be here. Remember he's on a very team friendly 3 year contract at about 5-6MM per year.

For a team that didn't know who as going to an effective receiving target before the season, and LOST the only consistent target from the past in White, The Pats currently can look to 5 guys, beyond the RB's, Josh is going to get his ideal. lots of guys to target, with no one individual that teams can target.

7. Defense - Has a Bill Bellichick defense EVER given up 270 yds on the ground during his time in NE, or anywhere else for that matter. It was really awful. I guess it only shows how different game to game the results can be. IIRC the Pats did a GREAT job stopping the run last week and pretty much all through this winning streak. Today....not so much. A 5 yd gain felt like a win. It is literally shocking that you can give up THAT many rushing yds and only allow 13 points. Of course 4 TO's can cure a LOT of defensive deficiencies.

But here's the thing, you cannot COUNT on TO's to bail you out EVERY week, because the next deflection will hit the ground like most do. The next time there is is a fumble the kicked ball doesn't wind in YOUR arms, or the punched out ball rolls out of bounds. In other words, some games the ball doesn't bounce your way. IIRC in the 2010 superbowl the Pats D created 4 Giant fumbles and only recovered one. If just ONE more ball bounced the Pats way, there would have been a 7th pelt on the wall. BUT you can't count on your opponent to turn the ball over to win games. About the only thing you can do about TO's is not create them for the other team. THAT to some extent you can control. But counting of 4 TO's per game or the like is NOT sustainable. We are on a great TO run during this streak, but BELIEVE me, it will not last.

a. front -7 - They did a fair job putting pressure on Tannehill, but not like last week. 2 sacks, 5 QB hits was OK. They only passed the ball 21 times. Why would they throw given how effective the run game was. Clearly there WAS some kind of structural issue that needs to be fixed and I'm sure it will be addressed and it won't be as bad next week. My concern was that in the past when we were being gashed like that it would be addressed THAT game. Whatever changes they tried this game just wasn't working. 270 yds is 270 yds.

A good playoff team (and this isn't one yet, you need 9 wins just be be better than .500 and it takes 11 to ensure a playoff appearance) can make adjustments week to week to shore up weaknesses. Lets see if a bad running team like Buffalo can crack this front 7 agaiin.

b Secondary - Tannehill started out this game 8 for 8 and wound up 11 for 21. So the secondary, at least, stopped an early bleed.

Eye test only, but doesn't it seem like Jalen Mills has been much more consistent in his coverage the last few games. I mean, he's a guy that going to be targeted with JC on the other side, but he made play after play on the ball in this one.

I would have liked to see Devon make that tackle at the end of the first half. It would have been a tough one in the open field, but still.

ST's - Hard to say enough superlatives about Nick Folk again and again. I liked the idea that Steven Gotskowski was in the stands for this game and watched as Folk broke his record with his 5th 50+ yarder of the season. What a season.

Gunner is a GREAT punt returner again with an 11 yd average in this game and as fearless as ever. I still have hope for him as a receiver when I realized that Julian didn't break out until his FIFTH season, and this is Gunner's 3rd. Just sayin'

8. And its on to Buffalo. I wish I knew what to say. It will be a wild one for sure. The Bills fans know how to welcome the Pats to their home. There will be a run on those long tables this week in preparation, not to mention bildos. ;) Mac will have to go back to his Auburn memories to compare this kind of hostile environment. My mind is blank as to any analysis. Just that the Bills loss was just a blip on their season. the kind of anomaly that should be completely discarded. Talent wise, I think they will be the best team the Pats have faced thus far and the biggest test of the season. This WILL NOT be a double digit win and the six wins in a row Patriots will likely be underdogs going in. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

9. The rest of the NFL comments

a. The Jets might have won today, but Wilson is still a mess and didn't contribute to the win.

b. Miami is on a bit of a hot streak of its own. It's offense is slowly becoming competent, while it's defense is rounding into one of the best in the league during this run. Keep that in mind come late December down there.

c. Colts Buc's was a GREAT game. I only saw bits of it during commercials, but Brady looked up and down with only 224 yds and a pick, but in the end with 2 minutes left and 75 yds to go, Brady guided the Bucs to the winning score. Did you expect anything else. ;)
The Colts are a very good team right now and probably should have won the game if they had taken better care of the ball. But lets focus on one game at a time.

d. The Rams Packer game was evidently a good one as well. I only mention it because I NEEDED the Pack to win so I could salvage a 3-2 week for my pool. I'm now in 40th place (out of 148) and only 2.5 games out of the money. I can't believe the Eagles took a dump in NY, and I can't believe I listened to "smart guys" to touted the Steelers and not gone with my gut chose of the Bengals. Oh what COULD have been.

OK that should get things rolling. Meanwhile I'm going to revisit the 86 World series and increase my misery index all these wins are threatening me to break out into a smile. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy,......AND comment.

"
2013 we allowed 280 to Denver, holding manning to 150 and frustrating him and beating Denver.
This team has been a game plan team for 20 years. They defense each opponent differently and uniquely. The 68 yard TD was a fluke. Tennessee was virtually giving up running in that down/distance clock time and time out situation.
Take that away and you have 200 rush yards 85 pass yards and 6 points. What is wrong with rope a doping a team into not being able to score points?
Ultimately Tennessee had 2 drives all day with more than 2 first downs.

You're right to be worried, I think, Ken -- although not THAT worried.

J McD has been running a super-conservative offense (run up the middle on first down) and sometimes that gets stopped, like it did yesterday. We've seen enough this season to know that he has plenty of wilder plays up his sleeve and I'm going to guess that they'll come out if needed. At the moment, though, it's all been about bringing Mac Jones along without breaking his confidence. McD has done a great job of that. The glitches -- not picking up delayed blitzes, the occasional bad throw -- are pretty minor compared with Jones's achievements. The first KB touchdown was great, not just for itself but for what it showed us those two players can do together.

But I do think that the run defense is seriously worrying. If your defense gives up a big play to a wonder catch by OBJ or DeAndre Hopkins or gets outrun by Brandin Cooks, fair enough. But not all teams have players like that. But every team has running plays for first down or third and short and, if you can't stop those, others will see it. Even during the Falcons and Browns games I was haunted by the memory of the Chargers converting a 4th down and pushing their running back into the endzone. Your DL has to stop that kind of nonsense.

In the past, the Patriots have done that with at least one big guy in the middle, going back to Ted Washington and Vince Wilfork. They don't need to be exceptional players like those two. Keith Traylor, Alan Branch and Danny Shelton did the job. I thought that was supposed to be Godchaux. If he can't get it done, it's a serious problem. Barmore is obviously a huge handful for the OL but he's not an out and out run stuffer (I think) and Guy and Davis aren't able to do the job, it seems.

What's worse is that BB pushed all his chips onto the table this season. Not only did he sign more players than anyone had a right to expect, but he signed them to deals that will accelerate next season. So there won't be the space for any kind of big signing to the DL in the off-season, given other needs (cornerback, tackle, safety).

I was really surprised that BB was spending like that for a team that, at the time, didn't have a quarterback. Now they've got one who is doing far better than any of us had a right to expect so this "re-building year" has suddenly become a competitive year. I'm thankful for that. Even if they go down in flames against the Bills and the Colts (I hope they don't, of course) it will have been a good year.

Thanks again, as always. Just wanted to point out that Jakobi had games with 12rec/169yds and 7rec/111yds last year (with Jekyll and Hyde at QB). Like I said before the beginning of this season, 2022 might see the Mac to Meyers combo hit for 120/1200yds.

No reason to be discouraged at all about yesterday's game. The run D was bad, and the run O wasn't much better. The red zone offense struggled and Mac missed a wide open Henry for a TD that cost them points. And you know what?

They still put up *36* points.
They still held Tennessee to *13* points.

They played "poorly" and DESTROYED the Titans.

Don't worry about "relying" on turnovers. This defense all year has relied on actually getting stops. Yesterday was flukey, but it was flukey that the run D was so bad, but it was made up for by the fact that they got four turnovers (three that mattered). And they weren't lucky turnovers. JC Jackson never gave up on that long run when he punched the ball out. That was a great defensive play. The interception was great team defense by McCourty and Jackson. They earned those turnovers. I mean, the Pats forced *5* Titans fumbles, and recovered 3 of them. They could have had even more turnovers.

So normally they won't force this many turnovers, but they also won't get gashed on the ground like this. I do worry if they play the Titans in the playoffs if they have Henry back, though I guess how many more rushing yards could they have? They got 270 after all.

Great win by the Pats, who are just a freaking wagon right now.

FWIW, here's the Pats' rush defense the last four games:

78 yards to McCaffrey and Carolina
99 yards to Cleveland (who has a great running game even without Chubb)
40 yards to Atlanta
270 yards to Tennessee

So it's not like they're getting steamrolled every week. And honestly, you'll happily give up 270 rush yards if you're only giving up 85 pass yards. That's "only" 355 total yards. The average team in the NFL gains 349 yards per game, so all in all, that was basically a league average defensive performance yardage-wise. Not bad if that's your "bad" game.

But I do think that the run defense is seriously worrying. If your defense gives up a big play to a wonder catch by OBJ or DeAndre Hopkins or gets outrun by Brandin Cooks, fair enough. But not all teams have players like that. But every team has running plays for first down or third and short and, if you can't stop those, others will see it. Even during the Falcons and Browns games I was haunted by the memory of the Chargers converting a 4th down and pushing their running back into the endzone. Your DL has to stop that kind of nonsense.

In the past, the Patriots have done that with at least one big guy in the middle, going back to Ted Washington and Vince Wilfork. They don't need to be exceptional players like those two. Keith Traylor, Alan Branch and Danny Shelton did the job. I thought that was supposed to be Godchaux. If he can't get it done, it's a serious problem. Barmore is obviously a huge handful for the OL but he's not an out and out run stuffer (I think) and Guy and Davis aren't able to do the job, it seems.
the thing is that the Titans have a quite good OL as well, not every team has a great OL to clear the path for any RB, run D# is still kind of an issue, but the Titans had a great execution on their plays, lets see how the Pats do against the Bills

I think the Pats will have around 48M next year, but have quite a number of FA as well, starting with JC.Jackson, Meyers, McCourty, Brown, Phillips, Hightower, White, etc. there are some players I would love to keep which will cost some money, but regarding a well needed NT, there are not so many FA available, I would go via Draft and go after Davis as he is a monster in the IDL and incredibly fast for a NT

Well.... then doesnt that mean they did a bad job?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back