PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'd rather play the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerjohn

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
If you look back at the excellent anlysis by Box-o-Rox and the gang, the Broncos really had trouble moving the ball against us, aside from 3 big plays. Only 1 sustained drive. I think with more players healthy, and some more careful play in the secondary, we can limit the big plays and force them to march down the field 10-15 yards per set of downs. If we can do that, with our run D in top form, I think we can force Jake into some tought positions on 3rd down and get off the field. The O will have to play better than last time, and not make any mistakes.

When I think about playing Indy, I still see us giving up 10-20 pass plays down after down. We can use another game to get the secondary more experience and put even more pressure on the Colts (were we to beat Denver).

Both Colts and Broncos are very good teams who are well coached. The only preference in favor of the Pats playing Denver as opposed to Indy is obviously the chance of a potential AFC title game in NE could be possible if Pitt beats CIN today.

tigerjohn said:
If you look back at the excellent anlysis by Box-o-Rox and the gang, the Broncos really had trouble moving the ball against us, aside from 3 big plays. Only 1 sustained drive. I think with more players healthy, and some more careful play in the secondary, we can limit the big plays and force them to march down the field 10-15 yards per set of downs. If we can do that, with our run D in top form, I think we can force Jake into some tought positions on 3rd down and get off the field. The O will have to play better than last time, and not make any mistakes.

When I think about playing Indy, I still see us giving up 10-20 pass plays down after down. We can use another game to get the secondary more experience and put even more pressure on the Colts (were we to beat Denver).
Nice to see the work Patsfan37, Pats1, and I did appreciated and pay off for the post season.

That was a different team that played Denver.

Vrabel started his first game at ILB for this game.
We had an injured Starks buying time for the coaches.
Sanders was injured in the first half and Freeman took over.
Wilson was learning how to lead.
Colvin was still not up to speed at OLB.
Wilfork was still playing patty cake with the Centers.
Green was playing for Seymour (and may have had his shoulder injury too).
Kazcur and Mankins were playing their 6th pro games and Kaz his 3rd start.
Gorin was inactive with an injury.
Faulk was out.
Watson was still learning how to be a Patriot TE.
Hawkins hadn't joined the team.
Stone hadn't joined the team.
Davis had been released and would be re-signed later.
Pass was playing hurt.
Dillon was in pads and inactive.
Zeroue was our only healthy back.
Poteat hadn't been re-signed yet.
Gay was playing on a bum ankle.
Bruschi was on PUP.

The bad news, our blocking demon Graham was healthy then.

I think it depends on how the Colts react to the week off: remember, if you believe in momentum, they've got absolutely none: they lost two, almost lost to the Cardinals and haven't played for a week. I'm not saying this'll have a game-changing effect, but at the same time it's hard to ignore, for me at least.

On the other hand, maybe it would be better to let them get tired for a game... but then again we'll have played one more game than them.

I think Denver's gonna be a real wild card (no irony intended) in the playoffs, because of Plummer: he had a good regular season, but a Jake that doesn't throw picks in the playoffs? I'll believe it when I see it.

If we can take the Colts next week, I think we'll take the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, either way we've got a real tough game (then again I thought that about yesterday).

I just like the matchup better. Denver is mostly a running game and 1 or 2 WR team with some use of Putzier at TE. After the top 2 WR, Putzier has 481 yards and the next WR has 203 yards. With the Colts, Clark at TE has about the same as Putzier but the #3 WR has 543 yards. Multiple WR give us the most trouble right now, with the way Samuel and Hobbs are playing decently, we can handle a 2 WR team much better than one where we need 3 or 4 CB and Poteat and Troy have to get involved.

It's kindof funny how we debate this as if we actually have any choice in the matter...

...just a question of who to root for I guess

Also Plummer slowed down in the second half. In the first half of the season he had a 12/3 TD/INT ratio, in the second half of the season it was 6/4.

JoeSixPat said:
It's kindof funny how we debate this as if we actually have any choice in the matter...

...just a question of who to root for I guess
We're not rooting for the ponies today? :confused: I wanted to see Tommy ride the ponies. :(

Quick question - many people prefer the Broncos next week because that would create a potential situation for Pittsburgh to beat the Colts and for the Patriots to host the AFC Championship game

Hypothetically speaking, if the Bengals were to lose their QB for the remainder of the playoffs, would you rather play a healthy Pittsburgh team at home, or the backup Bengals QB on the road - hypothetically.

Of course I respect those who simply like a Pats/Broncos matchup irregardless of a potential home game for the Pats, because that's not something we have any control over and shouldn't factor into any matchup calculation for next week.

Personally, as likely as it appears now that Pitt will move on to play the Colts, I still prefer taking on the one team next week that we have dominated more than any other over the past 4 seasons - the Indianapolis Colts.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That was a different team that played Denver.

Vrabel started his first game at ILB for this game.
We had an injured Starks buying time for the coaches.
Sanders was injured in the first half and Freeman took over.
Wilson was learning how to lead.
Colvin was still not up to speed at OLB.
Wilfork was still playing patty cake with the Centers.
Green was playing for Seymour (and may have had his shoulder injury too).
Kazcur and Mankins were playing their 6th pro games and Kaz his 3rd start.
Gorin was inactive with an injury.
Faulk was out.
Watson was still learning how to be a Patriot TE.
Hawkins hadn't joined the team.
Stone hadn't joined the team.
Davis had been released and would be re-signed later.
Pass was playing hurt.
Dillon was in pads and inactive.
Zeroue was our only healthy back.
Poteat hadn't been re-signed yet.
Gay was playing on a bum ankle.
Bruschi was on PUP.

The bad news, our blocking demon Graham was healthy then.

Is that the only difference?

Next time be specific ... give details. :)

flutie2phelan said:
Is that the only difference?

Next time be specific ... give details. :)
I'm sorry, that cat ate my homework. :(

Well, as it's starting to look like we'll be playing the Colts, one good thing is it gives Bruschi one more day to get ready to play. OK, it's just one day but that's still a good thing.

This is all great analysis, but I do not like us at Denver. I prefer Indy next week.

We generally suck in the high altitude in Denver. Brady is 1-2 at Invesco.

In the game we won in 2003, the Broncos had Danny Kanell at QB and it took a kooky safety and a freak mistake in free kick coverage which put us in a position to win the game.

Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie, Mike Anderson (if healthy) and Tatum Bell are too much to have to defend at that altitude, especially without Harrison and a completely healthy Bruschi.

Denver is hot right now, that regular season finale at San Diego a good statement game in slapping around a division rival on the road in a meaningless game.

The game would still be close, but I see Denver simply finding a way to win. The reason would somehow find its way back to the altitude.

MY OWN DEVIL'S ADVOCATE: In the 2003 win we did not have Seymour. In the loss this year we still had Duane Starks and were minus other key folks.

But I still think we play lousy in Denver.

OTOH...

The time to get the Colts is RIGHT NOW, when they are down and rusty.

We do great in domes, especially Vinatieri.

Brady is undefeated in the RCA Dome.

Pats are 9-4 at RCA since 1990.

Manning will be obsessed with beating the Patriots to the point that Belichick will have a separate office inside his brain all week long.

If it gets into a shootout we can still win (38-34 in 2003).

Who knows. As I said, you guys made some good points on beating Denver. If we go there, hope I'm wrong.

Bob G

Great post ,Bob

I still prefer Denver and am glad to see the Steelers back in it. Bob makes a great point that we aren't that good against Denver for whatever reason. But our weakness right now is the #3 and #4 CB and Indy is more well equipped to attack that IMO.

bobgeorge said:
Manning will be obsessed with beating the Patriots to the point that Belichick will have a separate office inside his brain all week long.

Bob G

I am imagining that with Belichick in his grey hooded sweatshirt and shorts that Madden said he had on in his office before the game last night. Shorts in New England in January? :confused:

bobgeorge said:
This is all great analysis, but I do not like us at Denver. I prefer Indy next week.

Ditto Bob - beyond the reasons why I don't like Denver, I just can't come up with a reason not to take on Indy sooner rather than later

We all but own them at 5-1 historically - and while this years team is not last years team for either Indy or the Pats, clearly BB seems to have a good comfort level against them.

You can't say the same thing about Denver.

I don't know if they will be rested or rusty but it seems to me the risk/reward of them playing Pitt next week will tend to sharpen their preparation, rather than have us expect a signficant injury on the Colts part.

I believe we can beat either team, at either time, but I know I'm rooting for Cincy today.

It doesn't matter what we want, we are playing Denver. After we beat them and Pitt beats Indy, we have the AFC Championship Game at the Razor.

I just couldn't muster up enough feelings either way. BOTH teams are tough, both have pros and cons. Bottom line is really quite boring: we play who we play. We honestly (ESPECIALLY fans) have no control over this. We have a coach though, who does not like to lose twice to a team in the same year. He is the best in terms of preparation. We can't ask for a better advantage in that regard.

Playing at Mile High will stink, it always does. But either way, we were not going in for a cakewalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back