SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Ian's Guidance to Pub Members.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 6, 2020.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,879
    Ian figures out how to perma-ban from the Pub the same people that ruin thread after thread.

Adults behaving like children ... sad but true.

Have a good day.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Angry Angry x 1
  2. vuudu

vuudu Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +5,137
    We understand, this is a tough period for some of us. A football forum is not an ideal place to have some of these tough discussions that can get personal at times.
    My only issue is the flat out false material posted.

3. oldrover

oldrover "You're gonna have to serve somebody..." PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29,670
    IcyPatriot, to you and @Ian : I am part of a cigar forum where politics started overflowing into everything. The administrators have now banned all references to it for the time being and closed the political forum. I must say it has been a far more pleasant place since. JMHO.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25,879
    Ian wants people to have a voice here ... as do I.
    A few have abused that ... and by far ... so ... waiting for Ian's response.

But I have had it babysitting the ones that will be gone ... they have had their
    chances ... many times over ... they use this forum to bully others .... that's over.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vatahala

Vatahala 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,612
    Babysitting?

That suggests those offenders have been given a warning.

So I should be able to sleep easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. oldrover

Ratings:
    +29,670
    I hear you about the voice.

That said, many people use sports as a nice, albeit temporary, respite from real life. I have friends with whom I agree and disagree on politics. When we’re watching the Pats, we are united. I liked that about this place as well.

7. venecol

venecol The FRG has a little **** PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,545
    Something just doesn't seem right when @Ian specifically told a certain poster not to post all the spam from trash sources yet he's continued to spam the hell out of every thread with zero consequence. When he gets made fun of, all of a sudden, there are consequences, but not for him.

We either all have a voice or it should get shut down. These threads seem very one sided. Look at how many posts I have in the last 30 days and compare it to others and you'll see that mine pale in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. anditsgood

anditsgood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,764
    I give you guys credit for the patience you have, i would have shut it down a lot earlier,

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. venecol

Ratings:
    +9,545
    I've had dozens of posts edited and deleted in the past few days without one note or message sent as to why. Not one. Not a single one. Nada. Zilch.

• Sad Sad x 1
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25,879
    We'll wait for Ian.
    All I am saying is I have asked over and over and over again for good discussion.
    Some don't come here for discussion .... so ... Ian's turn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. lancerman

lancerman In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,888
    Honestly this isn’t that hard. You just need to pick what you are going to do and be consistent. If you want this to be anything goes as long as certain hardline rules aren’t crossed do it. If you want to actually moderate it, then you need to be consistent so nobody can feel like there is bias.

Totally get personal attacks being beyond the pale. Totally getting spamming being the same. But once it’s allowed to happen on one side, it’s inevitably happening on the other and that becomes what thread is about. You can nip it in the butt at the beginning or you can let it blow up and then it’s a problem and at that point it should be rooted out without bias and not picking and choosing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +25,879
    There is always going to be some that think there is favoritism.
    Not talking about opinion here ...
    Those to choose to bully/spam with words / pictures / videos ... it's not that hard.
    Some childish notion that there is a scoreboard somewhere and they must somehow win something.

it is discussion - it is opinion ... there is no winning.
    This country is a mixture of diverse opinion ... some just don't accept that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. oldrover

Ratings:
    +29,670
    I don’t really know anything about you, good sir... lefty, righty, whatever... and I can’t review your past posts, since you make them private. All I can say is that if I’d had dozens of my posts deleted or edited, I would start first to examine my own behavior.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. venecol

Ratings:
    +9,545
    I hear you. My behavior was a reaction to what I witnessed was going on these threads. I've been busy at work lately so haven't been on PF much. I have been on the last few days when I noticed an enormous amount of spamming going on and so my inclination was to reply. Regardless of how I chose to reply, it was definitely commensurate with the way the thread was going, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe my style ticks some people the wrong way, but the content was on issues up for debate and from main stream sources. I also included comments so it wasn't just spamming. I can tell you that I attended a march with my daughter in West Palm Beach about a month ago and it was 100% peaceful so all of these posts about rioters and looters rub me the wrong way since to me they're misinformation. The vast majority of the protest have been largely peaceful.

• Like Like x 2
  15. venecol

Ratings:
    +9,545
    I didn't know I made my posts private. I'll have to look into that.

16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +6,251
    Since I put the worst ones on ignore it's been a lot better for me. Ban the worst ones from some of these threads for all I care. By worst ones I dont mean the ones that are the farthest from my politics, I mean the ones that just trying to be priicks every chance they get. Edit: at first I resisted putting people on ignore because I didnt want to look or feel like I was just watching FOX or CNN kind of a thing. I actually like discussions with both opposing and like minded people. What I cant stand is anyone on either side that just wants to filibuster, spam and bully. Put them on ignore. It works so well that I'm always confused when ICY warns us to to tone it down, lol

17. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +11,238
    Unfortunately some of the permissions that would make this a little easier won't be available until I get this place turned over to the new version, which I'm working on currently. Had to re-do the front page followed by the blog, which are both done. I had the board mostly done until a windows update crashed my test server, so I had to start over. Good times. :rolleyes:

I've been sitting back taking things in and I will say, I'm really frustrated by a variety of things, primarily due to the current climate. I'd get into further specifics, but a few have forgotten what the spirit of this place is supposed to be and as soon as I launch the new board, I will be setting a bar that I'm going to need everyone to follow. There will be no compromise on this.

I'm going to allow Icy to relax the reigns and take a breather for a bit while I reopen the threads. But be aware, things are going to be changing in the not too distant future. I need everyone to realize that spamming threads and posting bogus news links is going to have to end. Being a **** to each other is also unnecessary and will need to change. It's been the longest offseason ever and the world is in bad enough shape. This place is supposed to be an escape, not an extension of it.

Here are a few highlights:

RACISM:

Given recent events, I've privately had a couple of discussions and the implied racism needs to end. A couple people have walked a dangerous line, which I'm really disappointed about. I'd encourage everyone to think about one simple fact about this place. Most of you truly don't know the skin color or race of most of the posters in here. I really don't either - and I couldn't care less. I judge everyone in here based on their posts. Skin color doesn't matter. If you're a good person, everyone here tends to enjoy hanging out with you. If you're a jerk, that's a problem, regardless of the rest of it. But that judgement is based on your words and nothing else.

PERSONAL ATTACKS:

They're unnecessary and unfortunately, half the time someone complaining about a personal attack has already made one themselves, so you put the mods in an impossible position. If you've already responded in kind to the other person who "started" it, you're now just as guilty. As a warning, the new board could see you not only booted from a thread, but booted from a particular forum if you can't play nice. Ignore features exist for a reason and from what I gather, they're a little more enhanced in the new version. So hopefully that will allow some of you who dislike each other to avoid those issues.

MAKING YOUR POINT:

One issue I've noticed is repeating an opinion over an over again in the same thread or repeatedly posting a link related to a topic over and over again. Please don't. We get it and I respect everyone's opinion. But even I can't listen to the same track over and over again. Please, pick a new song and move on.

POLITICS:

Regarding politics, I've let it go because the climate is such that it's impossible to avoid. But I will say, you guys need to chill out because both parties are just as messed up as the other. I've never seen two groups pass the blame more than I have in recent years. It's completely insane. I don't have a preference because that's not my world. However, I've had some get mad at me and accuse me of being bias. Having had some time to think about it, I'm biased against people being a jerk to other people. That's my bias. So there you go. :rolleyes:

I've got my on thoughts on what's essentially been a pretty ugly social experiment I didn't sign up for. That doesn't just hold true for here, I've seen it everywhere after having tried to become a little more aware after feeling I wasn't well enough in touch with it previously. I felt that being more informed on this was important in order to try and be able to be as fair as possible.

I feel like I know quite a bit more than previously, and the results are probably going to upset some people in here. It sucks, but I've finally wrapped my brain around that reality. I've had to accept the fact that I'm pretty well screwed and won't be able to please everybody. It is what is.

It would be wise for some of you to reflect and think about what you think I'm going to allow moving forward and start working toward it. We all need to be better in the months/year ahead. That needs to start now. When the new board is done over the next week or so, I'll have finally finished most of the heavy lifting and will be more active in here. At that point, some of the moderation will begin to change, as will the rules.

POSTING LINKS:

Regarding the links, it's simple: I'm not here to disseminate bad information. I've temporarily shut down the links section (which is being revamped) and it will be exclusively for football/NFL links moving forward when I open it back up. As for links that will be permitted, once I get the new board done, it's really simple. If it can't be fact-checked or is deemed to be not accurate, it will be removed. This is going to upset some people, but since I opened this site just before the end of the 2000 season, we used to be known as a pretty informative place with the latest news/information discussion. That should apply to every section in here.

"ACCURATE" INFORMATION:

Following up on the above, this is the most bizarre thing and I feel like we've reached a new low in terms of the position site owners are in. I can't be Mark Zuckerberg and let everything fly...it's not going to happen. I made that mistake previously and I've decided trying to be "fair" isn't possible because there's always going to be someone crying foul. I got a taste of that previously and it was a wake up call that certainly surprised me.

Anyone following this story may have seen that an executive order was filed due to our own president disagreeing with the fact he may have posted inaccurate information. That's an extremely dangerous thing that site owners possibly wouldn't be able to act against something that someone posted that potentially isn't true.

I truly can't wrap my brain around what's happened in the media industry. Up until a few years ago, we didn't really question news outlets and the news was the news. Now, I don't really know what to make of it. But having had time to think about it, I know there are basically two principles:

1) What's real
    2) What people want/don't want to believe to be real

There is no gray area and the latter is just completely bizarre...and it's a sad reality.

I'm not going to get into how you feel about whatever news outlet (the president even disowned FoxNews today...so I guess that tells you something about wanting something to be real vs it being real). But those two things are absolutely true and the more I thought about it - and after some discussions I've had - I've realized one thing.

It's actually somewhat impossible to even prove what's real anymore.

I've had to accept the fact people believe what they believe and they feel the way they feel. If they disagree with a headline/story, it's "fake news". If they agree with a fake news story, it's a fact and then they discredit every other news outlet that disagrees.

I've seen it with both "sides"...it's the most insane thing ever and the Twitter thing sparked many discussions among site owners who now have no idea how to deal with stories that aren't real vs ones that are but people believe to be false...because people believe so passionately that even real stories now aren't real. Because if you source a news network they disagree with (on either side), they can still argue it isn't accurate.

I mean...you can literally drive yourself mad both ways. So I'm going to upset some people...unfortunately. I'm not Facebook. I'm not Twitter. As one person sort of pointed out when they messaged me, "this is your site, it may be time for you to not be a nice guy anymore."

So either way, I will not spread non-factual information here. And it's not about any bias. If it can't be fact-checked, it's going to be removed. I've already outlined my thoughts on the challenges with this and it will likely be somewhat fluid as I begin figuring out the best way to properly deal with it. This is just a warning, but the new forum is going to see some changes there.

BOTTOM LINE:

I'm not here to be a jerk and I'd like to think my track record has been pretty good with most of you. I've let politics slide because things are so bad and there's literally nothing going on in the NFL world that it's impossible to completely disallow. I'm asking everyone to please do me a favor and try and at least improve the decency level toward each other because it's devolved badly over the last few months.

This shouldn't be that hard. I've been overly flexible to a fault and I'm letting things slide one final time until I get past this hurdle because I need to get it done.

For now, I'll reopen the threads and I'll need everyone to do their best to keep the discussion reasonable. Any issues, you can PM me if you don't want to post them here.

• Like x 6
    • Thank You x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Wall of Fame Member

Ratings:
    +8,140
    You should limit posting to football related topics. That’s what this site is about. It’s insane that you should have to spend time even typing that post much less all the work it will entail to monitor.
    I’ll self-ban from anything non football related to begin the process.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +11,238
    I thought about it, but this entire year is like no other. Once camp opens and we get a sense that the season will progress, the rules may change. But I'm trying to be flexible for another couple of weeks until I get the board switched over and camp starts. There's been little to nothing (aside from the recent Cam Newton signing) to discuss, so I get it. But a lot of what I posted needed to be said, because I do feel it may be applicable down the road...unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kdo5

Kdo5 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,477
    The forum would potentially lose activity if only sports talk was allowed at this point. There are no sports right now because of a highly politicized pandemic.

It sucks but this is the world we live in and politics today are an unavoidable topic of discussion that people are increasingly passionate about.

• Agree Agree x 2