PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I say it's Lawson. Talk me out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Based on very little evidence, I have decided the Patriots will select Manny Lawson or trade up to do so.

Based on like one video each of 5 or 6 lbs and olb/de conversions.

My next picks would be Greenway or Kimberley, but based on my vast body of research, I'm not sure of either of them.

I like Carpenter too, looks like a young Ted Johnson clone. I just don't think Pats will spend #1 on that type.

Last edited:
I'm not going to talk you out of it because I have no problem with Lawson. The downside, though, is that right now he's Colvin. He's 6'5", 235 - real skinny and can't play McGinest's strong side. So he could be used in a rotation but realistically couldn't work into a full time role as the season develops. He could 2 years from now if he can add 25 pounds of muscle.

ilb or olb?

RayClay said:
Based on very little evidence, I have decided the Patriots will select Manny Lawson or trade up to do so.
Based on like one video each of 5 or 6 lbs and olb/de conversions.
My next picks would be Greenway or Kimberley, but based on my vast body of research, I'm not sure of either of them.
I like Carpenter too, looks like a young Ted Johnson clone. I just don't think Pats will spend #1 on that type.
agree on carpenter.
pats may trade down in hopes of getting any one of a pack: lawson, carpenter, greenway, wimbley, or ryans.
i personally like mcgarigle.
they gotta spend a #1 on somebody, but i don't see anyone that looks obviously worthy. oyher than the top 10 types. if any one of them slides, IMO BB/SP will take him, no matter the position. even a DL or TE.
cross fingers.

I agree with BelichickFan. Lawson is more like Colvin. If anyone in this draft resembles Willie, it's Kiwi.

I think a trade down in the 1st round and improving their second rd pick is likely. I like Carpenter, Ryans, Lawson, Wimbley and Greenway equally with a slight bias towards Carpenter or Ryans.......:rocker:

stinkypete said:
I agree with BelichickFan. Lawson is more like Colvin. If anyone in this draft resembles Willie, it's Kiwi.
Agreed. If want a McGinest replacement, it's the fast-dropping Kiwanuka.

am i missing out on something? last i checked kiwi was staying at DE

Feep_FLA said:
I think a trade down in the 1st round and improving their second rd pick is likely. I like Carpenter, Ryans, Lawson, Wimbley and Greenway equally with a slight bias towards Carpenter or Ryans.......:rocker:

You think all those players will be availble after 21?

I'm thinking this is a pretty strong draft for big, athletic LBs.

I don't see anyone forcing their way into the lineup, (TBC).

If not them, who at 21?

I've got no problem with a trade down but we have 2 thirds and a 4th already.

Last edited:
Hok said:
Agreed. If want a McGinest replacement, it's the fast-dropping Kiwanuka.

Trade down to an early second rounder, pick up an extra mid rounder, and draft Kiwanuka.

OK I'll try

Lets start with the fact that the Pats always gravitate to BPA and take the necessary steps so that they don't draft for need:

OK who is the BPA at 21, and your question assumes that Lawson will be available (might be better than even that he will not), but there are enough mocks around to get an idea:

So assuming Lawson is available my mix of BPA's at 21 based on commentators, consensus mocks like Eagles live and ESPN are:

Lawson, D Williams, J Williams, Carpenter, Mauroney, Whitner, Cromartie, Greenway, White, Kiwanuka, Ryans, Wimbley, Hali and S Moss

BPA from that group based on what I think the Pats value:
its between Lawson, D Williams, Ryans and Greenway

And of those probably Lawson.

So nope, turns out I can't talk you out of it, but the teams taking 11-20 might.

All of our predictions are pointless. Beioli will probably - sratch that - WILL take us off guard with the pick. You can already scratch all the aforesaid names off your lists. Get on with your lives! :D

Lawson's Weight

I was looking at a college preview for 2003 and they listed him at 6'5", 216. He did not even start at LB that year but then put on twenty-five pounds and became a very good DE. I read an interview that said the most he has ever weighed is 247. He may just be another Jason Taylor and never be over 250.

My gut feeling says that if we take a LB, we'll actually take a LB not a conversion guy. For the first time in several years there's actually some good, big LB in Carpenter and Greenway with a great chance that one will be there at #21. I also haven't lost sight of DeMaco Ryans although I concede that his size may end up dictating that he go elsewhere.

Ryans is an option only as a safety imo, and then only if he is available in the second. He is VERY slightly built. Those of you who haven't seen him play, please don't post his measurements as proof of his size. On the field, he was undersized even at the college level and has a very small frame. His body type and size is very similar to Patrick Pass.

Same problem with Lawson - do you guys really think that bundle of sticks could play Willie's position?

Even more so with Kiwanuka - he simply doesn't have the lower body strength to be a force at the point of attack, but he's worse than Lawson, because he's not nearly as athletic or quick.

Just a guess, Wimbley is their preferred edge player (though he'll probably go to the Browns at #12) and Greenway is the guy they like as a pure linebacker.

RayClayborne said:
Lets start with the fact that the Pats always gravitate to BPA and take the necessary steps so that they don't draft for need
It would be more accurate to say "biggest impact player available."

What player would have the biggest impact on the team if drafted.

But I'm nit-picking. I agree with you.

Just out of curiousity, why is everyone posting draft stuff here and not in draft forum?

details on lawson?

RayClayborne said:
Lets start with the fact that the Pats always gravitate to BPA and take the necessary steps so that they don't draft for need:
OK who is the BPA at 21, and your question assumes that Lawson will be available (might be better than even that he will not), but there are enough mocks around to get an idea:
So assuming Lawson is available my mix of BPA's at 21 based on commentators, consensus mocks like Eagles live and ESPN are:
Lawson, D Williams, J Williams, Carpenter, Mauroney, Whitner, Cromartie, Greenway, White, Kiwanuka, Ryans, Wimbley, Hali and S Moss
BPA from that group based on what I think the Pats value:
its between Lawson, D Williams, Ryans and Greenway
And of those probably Lawson.
So nope, turns out I can't talk you out of it, but the teams taking 11-20 might.
i never saw lawson play. what was he like in college?
the scouting reports suggest he might turn out as a good edge player: too fast for OTs, too strong to be handled by RBs or H-backs. if an opponent wants to put a TE on his side, Big Sey will certainly hurt them.
IMO that was the deal with willie ray.
BTW mcginest was 250 when drafted, ran something like 4.55. he grew out to 270 over time.

pats1 said:
All of our predictions are pointless. Beioli will probably - sratch that - WILL take us off guard with the pick. You can already scratch all the aforesaid names off your lists. Get on with your lives! :D

You mean just like when everyone predicted we'd take Ty Warren and we traded up to take Ty Warren? Or when everyone was hoping Vince Wilfork would drop to 21 and he did?

I like the idea of taking Lawson, Greenway, or Santonio Holmes. Hopefully, one of those guys will be available.

spacecrime said:
It would be more accurate to say "biggest impact player available."

What player would have the biggest impact on the team if drafted.

But I'm nit-picking. I agree with you.

Just out of curiousity, why is everyone posting draft stuff here and not in draft forum?

Not to break protocol, but the draft is almost here. What else is there to talk about this week?

ilduce06410 said:
i never saw lawson play. what was he like in college?
the scouting reports suggest he might turn out as a good edge player: too fast for OTs, too strong to be handled by RBs or H-backs. if an opponent wants to put a TE on his side, Big Sey will certainly hurt them.
IMO that was the deal with willie ray.
BTW mcginest was 250 when drafted, ran something like 4.55. he grew out to 270 over time.

I only saw some video, but I didn't think he looked real strong.

Tall and quick mostly.

I'm pretty much projecting some serious weight work.

Most of the Dolphin guys believe we will take either Allen, Jackson or Lawson with the #16... He's got great measuarbles for the position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back