PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I once Saw Guyton Make a Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunchucks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious if anybody else is feeling down on Guyton. I was ecstatic when he had that INT return for a TD and thought that maybe he had turned a corner in his coverage ability.

But, lately I continue to see Guyton giving up pass plays, getting run over by WRs and pushed around by blockers. Will Guyton ever make another play on the ball? He is supposed to be the Patriots coverage LB, but honestly, he isn't covering anybody. I think that Guyton may not have much in the way of football instincts or tackling ability.

Dane Fletcher could be in the process of taking his spot.

I don't think Fletcher is taking his spot - I think Fletcher is part of the new 3-3 nickel package. I've yet to see Guyton off the field w/ Fletcher on it.

As for Guyton, I think he's about an average to above-average adequate inside nickel backer, which has value in this league.

Guyton had a rough game. What Patriots linebacker can stay with Sproles, though?

Guyton got beat by Gates and Sproles. Those are tough matchups for all but the elite linebackers.

He had a bad game all around. Hopefully he'll rebound.

Yup, Guyton's got to hit the bench. I mentioned it in another thread... he had a rough game and just doesn't have the skills needed to be anything more than a 5-snap a game player. Bad in coverage, can't blitz, awful at tackling.

Last edited:
And appears to be dumb as a brick as he constantly looks lost, out of position or slow to read plays

Guyton had a rough game. What Patriots linebacker can stay with Sproles, though?

Agreed. In the game thread when sproles had tht nice rac gain everybody got down on guyton. But he prob would've done the same to any of our LB in tht same situation.

I would've however liked him to give up his body and extend for the tip on tht pass to gates.

They need to put Guyton out to pasture....and go get Monty Biesel and his hot wife :)

Guyton has peaked in his updside. Unagressive tackling, lack of football instinct to be where the play develops countered by excellent coverage speed.

A man gots ta know his limitations.

Fletcher will erode his PT.

I think we're being a bit tough on Guyton. Gates is perhaps the best tightend in the game and Sproles is lightning quick. Not exactly easy guys to cover. That being said, Guyton had a bad game, but the quality of the players he had to stop had something to do with it.

Guyton needed to close space quicker so those players couldn't make the moves to get around him. At the very least force the play towards another defender. Those iso tackles against elite offensive players in space are among the toughest plays in the game for a defender to make though. So I don't see the Pats cutting him just over his last performance.

And appears to be dumb as a brick as he constantly looks lost, out of position or slow to read plays

It looked to me like SD was specifically running plays at Guyton as they thought he was the weakest defender and they could get the best matchup. I wonder what BB will be doing for corrective action??

Guyton's solid and going nowhere. Who would you recommend replacing him with, exactly?

Very good point.

I still kind of agree with the OP...thru the first three or four weeks I thought he was playing great the last two weeks not as well. I think it is important to point out it is more than just the INT that I thought was good play too. I just felt like he was around the ball alot and making tackles. Where as the last game or two I feel he has been missing those tackles. Not to a point where I am down on him but the radar is up and he needs to play a little better.

Guyton's solid and going nowhere. Who would you recommend replacing him with, exactly?

I submit that the one Patriot with the athleticism to hang with Gates in coverage is....................drumroll please............the Puerto Rican Chris Cooley

Last edited:
Well, if the nickel package goes back to more of a 4-2-5/2-4-5, which ILB goes back on the bench -- Guyton or Fletche?

Last edited:
Gates was jogging all game...

I don't think that is a fair assessment. I think a lot of Patriot defenders play tentative because they are afraid to make a mistake. BB's film review has taken away their natural aggression and replaced it with a mind numbing fear of making a mistake.

That is not the way to play defense at any level. It worked when we had experienced guys with great instincts, but the current batch of players (except Wilfork, Chung and McCourty) have next to no real instincts.

I don't think that is a fair assessment. I think a lot of Patriot defenders play tentative because they are afraid to make a mistake. BB's film review has taken away their natural aggression and replaced it with a mind numbing fear of making a mistake.

That is not the way to play defense at any level. It worked when we had experienced guys with great instincts, but the current batch of players (except Wilfork, Chung and McCourty) have next to no real instincts.

WTF are you talking about. This D has looked agressive all season and is starting to play good to great ball. I dont see tentative play out there at all. And guyton on an island freezing vs Sproules isnt tentative its outmatched as anyone would be.

This D has looked agressive all season and is starting to play good to great ball. I dont see tentative play out there at all.

Except the 4th quarter. I can't imagine our scheme was to play that soft for that long. Rivers was having his way with us, especially the deep middle.

And just for the record... their top 2 receivers (3 if you count Jackson) were out. They were using Patrick Crayton (recently cut by Dallas), Buster Davis (on the verge of being a 1st round bust), and some PS'er they just brought up. Ouch.

People often forget that Guyton was an UDFA, he has exceeded all expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes