PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I know it's a little late, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogbuster

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
... does anyone know what in hell Bill was thinking, leaving Tedy in for a _punt_ play??

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I cannot think of a "good" reason why Bruschi would be in on a relatively punt in a game that was not imperative to win.

The only way I can understand it is that:

a. It was still early in the game
b. Bill (and the guys, too) want to keep developing some juice for down the road
c. Tedy is still getting fine-tuned synchronized with the rest of the team.

OK, c is a stretch, but that't the point: why should he be out on a *PUNT* play in a game that is not all that necessary??

I think its because he is on the punt team.

If he's not actually on the punt team, then we should find out why he thinks he can run out there acting like he's on the punt team when he isn't.

There's no need of him being so selfish and sneaking in there and taking punt team reps from somebody else who would probably kill for the chance to play just one play. Especially now that the rosters have been expanded to 80 and there's all these guys standing around every week not getting a chance to play.

Bad Tedy.

BTW, can somebody point me to the "Why is Vrabel on the punt team" thread?

I second that "I think its because he is on the punt team" part.

BB makes very few changes to the system as the playoffs near. What got them there is generally what he is going to go with. As has been already beaten to death, ST play can have a huge impact on the outcome of a game. BB puts the best players that are best suited for their particular positions on the field, whether it's O, D or ST.

We've talked about this already. Belichick believes you play well by playing and you win by winning. No-one complains when this attitude brings us Super Bowl wins.

True.....

When having these discussions we should always recognize that this coaching staff has always done things this way and the rewards (three Super Bowls) have far outweighed the risks. If after all this time we have to discuss the importance/value of special teams, then we really haven't learned anything from these people, have we?

We should also recognize that we don't come on here and rag on it when somebody DOESN'T get hurt, so it seems like the most pedestrian sort of second-guessing to make a big issue out of it when somebody DOES get hurt.

Let's leave that for nit-wits like Steve Burton.

We don't complain when Richard Seymour blocks a Figgie, so why do we complain about this?

And besides, Tedy ruptured a muscle. He could have done that sprinting off the field after a 3rd down stop. He could have done that running out of the tunnel. You can't stop muscle injuries except to tell the player 'don't run at full speed, please walk'. Which would not be very good for football.

Last edited:
It's been discussed- rediscussed and rediscussed again. Please go back and find the original thread(s) from Tues. I"m too tired to go through that again.

And besides, Tedy ruptured a muscle. He could have done that sprinting off the field after a 3rd down stop. He could have done that running out of the tunnel. You can't stop muscle injuries except to tell the player 'don't run at full speed, please walk'. Which would not be very good for football.[/QUOTE]

A muscle strain/tear from just running is one thing, but didn't Vrabel step on him?

Fogbuster said:
A muscle strain/tear from just running is one thing, but didn't Vrabel step on him?

No. He was three or four steps away from Vrabel when he collapsed.

Willie55 said:
No. He was three or four steps away from Vrabel when he collapsed.

Damn! Who's been putting herbs in my brownies again?

Fogbuster said:
And besides, Tedy ruptured a muscle. He could have done that sprinting off the field after a 3rd down stop. He could have done that running out of the tunnel. You can't stop muscle injuries except to tell the player 'don't run at full speed, please walk'. Which would not be very good for football.

A muscle strain/tear from just running is one thing, but didn't Vrabel step on him?[/QUOTE]

The injury seemed to occure after Bru took five or six more steps. He seemed fine after the Gumbi moment. If he'd been injured in that sort of fashion it'd have most likely been a broken leg or ankle, not a torn muscle.

Fogbuster said:
... does anyone know what in hell Bill was thinking, leaving Tedy in for a _punt_ play??

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I cannot think of a "good" reason why Bruschi would be in on a relatively punt in a game that was not imperative to win.

The only way I can understand it is that:

a. It was still early in the game
b. Bill (and the guys, too) want to keep developing some juice for down the road
c. Tedy is still getting fine-tuned synchronized with the rest of the team.

OK, c is a stretch, but that't the point: why should he be out on a *PUNT* play in a game that is not all that necessary??

He's a genius. It will work out.

Tony Collins said:
He's a genius. It will work out.
Just when I think you're an ignorant troll, you come out and show that you do get it.

Oh, wait.... was that sarcasm? :p

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Just when I think you're an ignorant troll, you come out and show that you do get it.

Oh, wait.... was that sarcasm? :p

haha. :)
my message was too short. I had to add some more. soooo... here we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes