PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I just had to watch the game 1 more time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdonut16

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I have been waiting all week to watch the game again after I had a chance to try to set aside all the emotion that I had after the game. So tonight I fired up the DVR. After watching the game again I come away even more enraged and dissapointed.

The bottom line is that the refs and the Patriots lost this game, Denver did not win it.

I credit the Broncos with 3 game changing type plays and the ability to get good pressure on Brady, but it was the Patriots and the refs, well one ref in particular that gave the game to the Broncos. The 3 game changing plays are the Baily INT, forcing Faulk to fumble, and the bootleg rollout pass by Plumer right after the Patriots scored making the game 24-13.

Here are my observations on the game.

1. It was largely believed that the Patriots needed to get off to a good start in this game to beat Denver. Denver had gotten to leads in just about every game they played in this year, then ran the other team into the ground. In the first quarter, Belichick made some uncharacteristic judgement calls and bad play calls, that forced the Offense to have bad field position inside there own 10 yard line.

On the second drive of the game the Patriots had a 4th and 1 on around the Bronco 43 yard line. The most popular play on 4th down this year was sneaking Brady. In fact I can't remember a single time where Brady sneaked the ball on fourth down over the last half of the season where he didn't pick up at least 2-3 yard easily. There was no cluster of defenders over the center and I was sure that the sneak would be the call. Nope, instead Brady throws a quick pass to Fauria, incomplete. The result Denver gets one first down but then punts and pins NE inside there 10 yard line limiting their playbook and Denver dictates Field position for the next 2 or 3 drives by each team.

Later in the first quarter the Patriots stop the Broncos on a 3rd and 7 deep in the Patriots territory, that would have set up probably a 48-55 yard field goal attempt. Instead Belichick takes a holding penalty giving the Broncos another chance to convert which they do. The Patriots end up making a goal line stand which of course is fantastic, but the next offensive drive starts at the 1. I would have argued that I was happy to give up 3 points at that point than start at the 1 again.

These 2 calls by Belichick basically took the ball out the hands of his offense for a good part of the first half, missing out on valuable scoring opportunities.

2. The Back Judge gave the Broncos 10-14 points. The same Back Judge that made the horrendous call on Samuel for Pass interference, was the same guy that was standing right next to Troy Brown when he fumble (was interfered with) on the fair catch.

Immediately after the pass interference call, the TV footage shows Lelie running over to the referees, with his arms out and shaking his head. The conclusion I come to from that body language is that he knew he was guilty and thought the flag was on him and was trying to argue the call. He wasn't arguing for a flag at that point, the flag was already on the ground. The replay shows Lelie pushing and grabbing on Samuel at least 3 times, where Samuel touches Lelie 1 time with his hand. Just a shamefull call by the Back Judge, and he took way to long to make it.

The punt that Troy fumbled, was not a fumble. While obviously Troy bobbled the punt, he was fair catching the ball. The rule on fair catching states that the receiver may not be touched if he bobbles the ball until the ball hits the ground. The defender clearly grabs Troy as he is trying to catch his bobble before the ball hits the ground. I saw this same scenario called correctly 2 or 3 times this year in other games. The same frickin Back Judge that made the horrendous intererence call was about 5 yards from Troy and the Denver guy and flat out just missed the call.

As a result of this one jackass Back Judge, the Broncos get 7 points for the Interference call, and are put inside the 20 for the Brown fair catch interference fumble. The Patriots could have stopped the Broncos here but they were given a gift on a silver platter and at worst would have had a field goal.

3. The Bailey INT.

The play before Bailey intercepts Brady, Brady throws a quick pass to Givens, that if he catches I think gets in for a touchdown. While the pass was not perfect by any means, Givens should have caught the ball and would have had enough seperation to probably shake the single defender in his path to the end zone. If givens makes this play, the INT never happens. Given would at worst got the ball to the 2 or 1 yard line, instead the Patriots are force to throw from the 5.

Now for the Bailey INT. Firstly, Brady was pressured, but he makes a bad decision and bad through. Bailey makes a great play and deserves the credit here. But what follows is something that I have not heard anywhere else.

While Bailey is returning the ball, at approx. the 50 yard line Kevin Faulk catches up to Bailey as he angles toward the sideline. Instead of going for the tackle or trying to push Bailey out of bounds, he tries to take a big swipe at the Ball in Baileys hand and whifs. I watched that replay 10 times and he was within 1 step of Bailey where he easily could have attempted a tackle or push. Instead he throws a windmill at the ball and misses. JUST MAKE THE TACKLE FAULK ! You don't need the ball back on the same play.

After replaying the Bailey fumble, I agree that there was no way the refs could have overturned the call. It did look like the ball may have went through the corner of the end zone, but cameras where all angled in such a way that you just couldn't over turn the call. I don't blame the Refs here, I just don't know why Faulk doesn't try to tackle Bailey, he had him dead and the Patriots could have re-gathered themselves at midfield.

The ironic thing here is that if Ben Watson did not hustle as much or wasn't as fast as he was, he would have hit Bailey 1 yard closer to the end zone where Bailey was relaxing even more and the ball would then have clearly went out through the end zone. But that hustle and speed by Watson was just incredible.

The Steelers will kill the Broncos.

All we can hope for is that this loss re-motivates the players once again. I say the Patriots are still the favorites again next year.

Last edited:
mcdonut16 said:
I credit the Broncos with 3 game changing type plays and the ability to get good pressure on Brady, but it was the Patriots and the refs, well one ref in particular that gave the game to the Broncos. The 3 game changing plays are the Baily INT, forcing Faulk to fumble, and the bootleg rollout pass by Plumer right after the Patriots scored making the game 24-13.
I think the 3 game-changing plays were: the BS call on asante, the non-call on the 50-yd FG by elam, and the troy brown non-interference call.
i would have loved to get the watson call on the return, but there was no crystal clear evidence.
yes, i am a fan, but any non-fan HAD to see (and can still see, thanks to the vids captured on the net) that AS never laid a hand on the PI call. on the 50-yd FG, there is irrefutable evidence that there was an illegal motion penalty (watch the replay). No way he makes a 55 yarder. and troy is CLEARLY hit prior to being allowed to catch the ball.

it doesnt matter if they fumbled 10 times. the bottom line is, if the calls were correct, the pats won.

On the second drive of the game the Patriots had a 4th and 1 on around the Bronco 43 yard line. The most popular play on 4th down this year was sneaking Brady. In fact I can't remember a single time where Brady sneaked the ball on fourth down over the last half of the season where he didn't pick up at least 2-3 yard easily. There was no cluster of defenders over the center and I was sure that the sneak would be the call. Nope, instead Brady throws a quick pass to Fauria, incomplete. The result Denver gets one first down but then punts and pins NE inside there 10 yard line limiting their playbook and Denver dictates Field position for the next 2 or 3 drives by each team.
I was going nuts at that point. The sneak was open, and I believe I recall that taking the sneak is Brady's call at the line, why the hell didn't he go for it?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I was going nuts at that point. The sneak was open, and I believe I recall that taking the sneak is Brady's call at the line, why the hell didn't he go for it?

I remember that one too. It looked like they were actually lined up for the sneak and then for whatever reason, Brady drops into the shotgun. I don't think it would matter if there were 11 men over the center, we just get those 4th. and 1 sneaks regardless.

huskeralk said:
I remember that one too. It looked like they were actually lined up for the sneak and then for whatever reason, Brady drops into the shotgun. I don't think it would matter if there were 11 men over the center, we just get those 4th. and 1 sneaks regardless.
I beleive, for a moment, Brady may have been Channeling his inner Manning, if only for a moment. :snob:

AHHHHH it keeps on hurting, if we had lost a close game or even been blown out, it would be so much easier to take than losing the way we did.

I recall very much screaming for QB sneak, why not stay with a play until it fails? I agree and noticed myself at the time that Faulk could have made the tackle. I also recall being mystified at the call against AS and the FC no call with Troy Brown.

We should have been watching the AFC Championship press conferences. We shoudl have been reading, watching and savoring all the hype. We should be going to Foxboro this Sunday.

Instead, we are left wondering if BB had his contract extended, if the new OC & DC will help bring us another trophy - NEXT year. Damn, I am just not ready for next year.

mcdonut16 said:
Denver did not win it.

You had to watch again to come to that conclusion? ;) :D

mcdonut16 said:
The play before Bailey intercepts Brady, Brady throws a quick pass to Givens, that if he catches I think gets in for a touchdown. While the pass was not perfect by any means, Givens should have caught the ball and would have had enough seperation to probably shake the single defender in his path to the end zone. If givens makes this play, the INT never happens. Given would at worst got the ball to the 2 or 1 yard line, instead the Patriots are force to throw from the 5.

And they used the exact same play in the AFCC game and did take it in for the TD.

I threw my tape out. It's the only tape that has ever hit the trashcan. I even kept the Monday night debacle in Miami that I attended, and that game was a HUGE letdown. I simply couldn't see myself ever watching that tape, so I tossed it. I felt better after doing so, but I still feel bummed that we've got no game to play this weekend. Everytime I see a football ad on TV my heart sinks.

All the observations in this thread are astute. I still think the touchback was a touchback, but agree that the evidence was hard to support thanks to the sh!tty camera work. But the call on the field was iffy to start with. They huddled up to decide what happened, and it just happens to benefit Denver.

People have b!tched and moaned about calls going our way in the past, but every questionable call that ever went our way, tuck rule included, can be argued to have been called by the LETTER of the rule. These mistakes in the Denver game are clearly mistakes that involve rules not being called properly and infractions being overlooked. This, to me, is nothing like what we ever had 'go in our favor'. This was blatant hack work by the officials. Conspiracy theorists wouldn't have to try too hard to imagine that the league didn't want the Pats advancing, and did want the Colts to advance with how the officiating in each game played out. Just incredible. Horrendous.

How was that interference on the fair catch not called?? How was PI called on Asante?? I don't understand it.

Brownfan80 said:
I threw my tape out. It's the only tape that has ever hit the trashcan. I even kept the Monday night debacle in Miami that I attended, and that game was a HUGE letdown. I simply couldn't see myself ever watching that tape, so I tossed it. I felt better after doing so, but I still feel bummed that we've got no game to play this weekend. Everytime I see a football ad on TV my heart sinks.

All the observations in this thread are astute. I still think the touchback was a touchback, but agree that the evidence was hard to support thanks to the sh!tty camera work. But the call on the field was iffy to start with. They huddled up to decide what happened, and it just happens to benefit Denver.

People have b!tched and moaned about calls going our way in the past, but every questionable call that ever went our way, tuck rule included, can be argued to have been called by the LETTER of the rule. These mistakes in the Denver game are clearly mistakes that involve rules not being called properly and infractions being overlooked. This, to me, is nothing like what we ever had 'go in our favor'. This was blatant hack work by the officials. Conspiracy theorists wouldn't have to try too hard to imagine that the league didn't want the Pats advancing, and did want the Colts to advance with how the officiating in each game played out. Just incredible. Horrendous.

How was that interference on the fair catch not called?? How was PI called on Asante?? I don't understand it.
once you understand the nfl viewer ratings, you'll understand... this year's nfl playoffs are no different than the WWF

fgssand said:
AHHHHH it keeps on hurting, if we had lost a close game or even been blown out, it would be so much easier to take than losing the way we did.

I recall very much screaming for QB sneak, why not stay with a play until it fails? I agree and noticed myself at the time that Faulk could have made the tackle. I also recall being mystified at the call against AS and the FC no call with Troy Brown.

We should have been watching the AFC Championship press conferences. We shoudl have been reading, watching and savoring all the hype. We should be going to Foxboro this Sunday.

Instead, we are left wondering if BB had his contract extended, if the new OC & DC will help bring us another trophy - NEXT year. Damn, I am just not ready for next year.
Peace be unto you oh troubled spirit, drink heavily and dive into the draft discussion early. (The drinking heavily does help the draft discussion make sense too.)

T-ShirtDynasty said:

We actually had 3rd and 2. We ran our scatback for 1, then empty backfield.

Having given up any power running game, We threw Brady to the wolves.

In a related story, after a nationwide search, Josh McDaniel is named Offensive co-ordinator.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Peace be unto you oh troubled spirit, drink heavily and dive into the draft discussion early. (The drinking heavily does help the draft discussion make sense too.)

Thank you my brother Box-O.........I will move forward and i will be OK. Just need to catch one more replay of Watson chasing, chasing chasing, Bailey running, Watson chasing - he got there, ball is out, and it is through the end zone, has to be - look at Troy Brown, damn ref's did not make the call. Inconclusive? Are they kidding? STOP ....

Ok I am back - , yes, Box-O, in my opinion, we should be looking to draft a very agressive ILB or OLB to bring some youth to the LB's that are part of best front seven in football.

Beside reliving the pain of that game, McDonut16 also enjoys burning himself with cigarettes.:singing:

fgssand said:

Losing hurts regardles, but losing a close game or a blow out would have hurt a LOT more IMO. Losing a close game would have cast doubt on our ability to always rise to the occasion in crunch time, while a blow out would suggest that we were overmatched.

Losing the way we did is better because we know we didn't choke and we weren't beaten by a superior team.

If somehow Denver wins the Superbowl ( I doubt they even get there) and come to New England next year, do you see them coming in with the aura of champions that we will need to raise our game to beat? Hardly, I contend that WE will be the ones with the bullseye as Denver tries to prove to themselves that they weren't lucky as hell to beat us.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
Losing hurts regardles, but losing a close game or a blow out would have hurt a LOT more IMO. Losing a close game would have cast doubt on our ability to always rise to the occasion in crunch time, while a blow out would suggest that we were overmatched.

Losing the way we did is better because we know we didn't choke and we weren't beaten by a superior team.

If somehow Denver wins the Superbowl ( I doubt they even get there) and come to New England next year, do you see them coming in with the aura of champions that we will need to raise our game to beat? Hardly, I contend that WE will be the ones with the bullseye as Denver tries to prove to themselves that they weren't lucky as hell to beat us.

You make good points - it made me think of things this way, imagine being a Colt trying to make sense of 2005 and trying to move forward to 2006. With all the Pats overcame to get as far as they did was really outstanding. I am quite content with the team, leadership and our situation as a whole. They will not be denied going forward.

Great post Mcdonut.....I have mentioned this before in other threads that a friend of mine who does not really care about the Patriots but is nonetheless, one of the most astute football people I have ever known (has even argued points with NFL players and gotten recognition for knowing as much about the game as some of the players), called to tell me that the NFL was not going to let the Pats have another chance at a SB this year. He said that we were going to probably get screwed on calls and once again......He was dead on. But thanks for giving one more review of the game...It has been too painful to think about. I wonder if the Pats have sent a highlight of the blown calls to the NFL about this game....

it's kinda funny, we are THIS pissed, think of how buruschi, brady, mcginist, belichick, faulk, vrabel and all the players must be, not playing this week, those guys are ultra competitive

...i am kinda looking forward to the AFC Title game tomorrow, I hope Bettis wears 'em down and outback jack throws picks l, r and c.....

FloridaPatsFan said:
Great post Mcdonut.....I have mentioned this before in other threads that a friend of mine who does not really care about the Patriots but is nonetheless, one of the most astute football people I have ever known (has even argued points with NFL players and gotten recognition for knowing as much about the game as some of the players), called to tell me that the NFL was not going to let the Pats have another chance at a SB this year. He said that we were going to probably get screwed on calls and once again......He was dead on. But thanks for giving one more review of the game...It has been too painful to think about. I wonder if the Pats have sent a highlight of the blown calls to the NFL about this game....

Interesting, so you're friend had some inside information about this? If this is true then that is a bombshell.

I guess that means the Colts were preordained to win except that the Steelers didn't go along with it.

I really hope he's not suggesting that the game wasn't on the level.

The Gr8est said:
Interesting, so you're friend had some inside information about this? If this is true then that is a bombshell.

I guess that means the Colts were preordained to win except that the Steelers didn't go along with it.

I really hope he's not suggesting that the game wasn't on the level.

He used to work for a mob bookie and knows how this stuff works. Yes, the Colts were pre-ordained to go to the SB but Pitt played well enough to overcome some of the most blatant one-sided refereeing any of us can recall seeing. We as Pats fans, know what its like to have to beat a team and OVERCOME blatant poor officiating. I am saying that the game was supposed to go to the Colts. The game was not on the level. However you want me to say it. My friend did not have inside information on this game but he has proven time and again to me that he knows what he is talking about.

I will give you a tip on the Seahawks/Panthers game. Anytime a betting line moves down 2 points (The Hawks were 5.5 point faves on monday and its down to 3.5 by friday) says one thing.....A MOUNTAIN of money moves the line 1 point so there is more than that being bet on Carolina. Now, some of this money is bet on Carolina covering the spread, but its mostly bet on who will win the game. If the Seahawks win(or cover the spread), Vegas wins HUGE. If I were a betting man on this game, I would take the points and the Seahawks now. As for the other part of the NFL picking who will go to the superbowl, The Panthers have Steve Smith (not yet a household name), the Hawks have Shawn Alexander, the NFL MVP and TD's recordholder....People will want to see him in the SB. Now Carolina could overcome the Hawks and the officiating and win the game but my bet says that the refs call the game in favor of the Seahawks.

FloridaPatsFan said:
He used to work for a mob bookie and knows how this stuff works. Yes, the Colts were pre-ordained to go to the SB but Pitt played well enough to overcome some of the most blatant one-sided refereeing any of us can recall seeing. We as Pats fans, know what its like to have to beat a team and OVERCOME blatant poor officiating. I am saying that the game was supposed to go to the Colts. The game was not on the level. However you want me to say it. My friend did not have inside information on this game but he has proven time and again to me that he knows what he is talking about.

I will give you a tip on the Seahawks/Panthers game. Anytime a betting line moves down 2 points (The Hawks were 5.5 point faves on monday and its down to 3.5 by friday) says one thing.....A MOUNTAIN of money moves the line 1 point so there is more than that being bet on Carolina. Now, some of this money is bet on Carolina covering the spread, but its mostly bet on who will win the game. If the Seahawks win(or cover the spread), Vegas wins HUGE. If I were a betting man on this game, I would take the points and the Seahawks now. As for the other part of the NFL picking who will go to the superbowl, The Panthers have Steve Smith (not yet a household name), the Hawks have Shawn Alexander, the NFL MVP and TD's recordholder....People will want to see him in the SB. Now Carolina could overcome the Hawks and the officiating and win the game but my bet says that the refs call the game in favor of the Seahawks.

Let me get this straight, the mob fixed the game but Pitt won anyway.

They obviously lost a fortune then, not counting the money used to bribe refs, NFL officials, Tv commentators to not mention the obvious bias etc.

Not a very effective mob, is it.

Oh, and I think your friends right, you should easily be able to drain that land in south central Florida he sold you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes