PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many Superbowls would Tony Eason win under Belicheck?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How many superbowls would Tony Eason win under Bellicheck?

Votes: 7 53.8%

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 3+

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Eason

Rookie
Reaction score
He got to one under Raymond Berry. I figure he would win at least 2 under Bellicheck/Weiss..

Last edited:
ZERO, he is 47 years old...........and its Belichick! You spelled his name wrong twice, troll!

Tony had better tools then Tom Brady. All he needed was a little pocket presence, and confidence. Fans like you were too hard on him.

Tony Eason=Hall of Fame talent IMO

Last edited:
I didn't answer. The coach was not the difference.

Tony Eason needed an OL to defend him, a TE to block and defend and most of all, he needed a QB coach.

Our patriot team of the time would have wasted Marino, Elway or Kelly who were drafted with Eason in the greatest draft since the merger. I often wonder what would have happened to Eason if he went to Miami or Denver or Buffalo.

We all remember his doe eyes in the 1985 Super Bowl. That was after his blocking TE went out injured, and he was facing the best defense in the history of the NFL with a mediocre OL. And he never recovered from that day.

He would have been a good third QB under BB, I'm sure he'd have gotten one ring out of the deal.

My vote for the stupidest thread of 2006 so far. :bricks:

Bill's Girl said:
ZERO, he is 47 years old...........and its Belichick! You spelled his name wrong twice, troll!

not to mention that it is also Weis, not Weiss.

mgteich said:
I didn't answer. The coach was not the difference.

Tony Eason needed an OL to defend him, a TE to block and defend and most of all, he needed a QB coach.

Our patriot team of the time would have wasted Marino, Elway or Kelly who were drafted with Eason in the greatest draft since the merger. I often wonder what would have happened to Eason if he went to Miami or Denver or Buffalo.

We all remember his doe eyes in the 1985 Super Bowl. That was after his blocking TE went out injured, and he was facing the best defense in the history of the NFL with a mediocre OL. And he never recovered from that day.

Very good post. Ken O'Brien was in a similar situation with the Jets. Blackledge was a complete bust though.

bball831 said:
not to mention that it is also Weis, not Weiss.

Im not really into these Patriots. I was more of a fan in the 80's/90's. I don't care anymore. I just like to remember the glory days we had cheering for those teams.

Tony Eason was a panzy, just ask John Hannah.

Is there really any issue for debate here? Eason was drafted in 1983, so with BB as a coach he'd have won 22 Super Bowls and counting, taking his rightful place in the hall of fame as the greatest QB of all time.

'course as luck would have it he and BB never had the good fortune of teaming up.

Sucks how some things work out, huh?

Talented Guy, But Not A Winner

Tony Eason was a talented QB, but had ZERO in the intangibles.

He was more concerned with protecting his future health than winning. Logical to most of course, but the wrong attitude for success in the NFL.

I vote that he would have won ZERO Super Bowls because BB would have gotten rid of him. He's not a BB or SP type player.

If there were a "who cares?" option in the poll, that's what my answer would be.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Is there really any issue for debate here? Eason was drafted in 1983, so with BB as a coach he'd have won 22 Super Bowls and counting, taking his rightful place in the hall of fame as the greatest QB of all time.

'course as luck would have it he and BB never had the good fortune of teaming up.

Sucks how some things work out, huh?

Not to mention the fact that in 1983 BB was coaching the linebackers for the Giants...........and I was in the 5th grade. However, in a dream world, if he were the HC of the NEP, I think BB would have gone with Dan Marino with the 15th pick. :D

Hannah thinks that the OL did well enough for Eason to do much better in the 1985 Super Bowl. With respect to one of the greatest players of all time, I respectfully disagree. The OL needed a blocking TE as a 6th OL often to be effective, much as now. It was Hannah's last game, and we were playing the Bears. We were heavy underdogs against the best team ever to step on the gridiron, a team that relied on its defense to score points.

But we had a game plan :) It involved establishing the run. This had worked against Miami. This would set up the passes to Morgan and Fryar. In the first offensive series, our blocking TE was injured (Marv Cook I think) and the game was over. The Bears defense (which maybe could have been slowed down a bit with our six man OL) was ustoppable, and after a couple of series Eason knew it. And Hannah is right, Eason started running for his life. Grogan would have been gutsier and probably ended up on crutches with the same game result. Hannah wanted Grogan to be the QB for the SB.

At least that's how I remember it all.

scout said:
Tony Eason was a panzy, just ask John Hannah.

Tony Eason said:
Im not really into these Patriots. I was more of a fan in the 80's/90's. I don't care anymore. I just like to remember the glory days we had cheering for those teams.

IS THAT YOU BAMPSON????

mgteich said:
Hannah thinks that the OL did well enough for Eason to do much better in the 1985 Super Bowl. With respect to one of the greatest players of all time, I respectfully disagree. The OL needed a blocking TE as a 6th OL often to be effective, much as now. It was Hannah's last game, and we were playing the Bears. We were heavy underdogs against the best team ever to step on the gridiron, a team that relied on its defense to score points.

But we had a game plan :) It involved establishing the run. This had worked against Miami. This would set up the passes to Morgan and Fryar. In the first offensive series, our blocking TE was injured (Marv Cook I think) and the game was over. The Bears defense (which maybe could have been slowed down a bit with our six man OL) was ustoppable, and after a couple of series Eason knew it. And Hannah is right, Eason started running for his life. Grogan would have been gutsier and probably ended up on crutches with the same game result. Hannah wanted Grogan to be the QB for the SB.

At least that's how I remember it all.

The starting Ol of Holloway-Hannah-Brock-Wooten-Moore was pretty damn good. Add in the excellent work of Tony "The Knife" Collins, and the protection was there. Weathers and James made a good 1-2 punch at RB.

2 major errors - not starting Grogan, and the team being mentally beat (read: psyched out) before the game even started.

Of course, having the starting wideouts being Morgan-Starring instead of Morgan-Fryar makes a difference (our third was Cedric Jones ... Should have been #4).

The TE's were Dawson/Ramsey/Hawthorne ...

On defense the 3-4 was Adams-Williams (Toby and Lester)-Veris (10 sacks that year), Tippett-McGrew-Nelson-Blackmon, Clayborn-James-Marion-Lippett.

I would --- almost --- take this starting D over the 2005 D. Almost. They ranked #6 in scoring, #5 in yards.

I think our weakness (besides a terrified Eason) was there was no quick passing attack. Our current roster (2TE, 2WR, 1RB) has the talent to attack a pressure D. The 85 squad didn't. We lived and died by the run. The Bears focused on the run, then gambled that you wouldn't have time to throw.

Tony Eason said:
How many superbowls would Tony Eason win under Bellicheck?

I think you mean, "How many superbowls would Tony Eason win hiding under Bellicheck in the fetal position while screaming, 'Please don't let the bad men hit me anymore!!!!!'?

:p

Bill's Girl said:

Started my day off laughing out loud! 47 years old! LOL Good one BG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes