PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

~ How Bout Dem BROOOOOOOOOONS???

you can say the same thing about Tim Thomas 2 years ago. he was absolutely unbelievable.

Yes, one of the best, but his stats hardly compare to the greatness of the ones I mentioned when you look at their careers. I respect his decision to walk away the way he did, but obviously his overall legacy doesn't matter to him.

Not quite Dave Roberts stealing 2nd. But an incredible come back nonetheless
dave Roberts? how about bill Mueller? he was the guy who got the base hit to drive in Roberts. nobody in the media ever brings him up. it drives me crazy how the media frames everything like Roberts. whats harder stealing a base? or getting a hit off mariano rivera with 2 outs?

Im a big hockey fan and I agree, -somewhat-

I don't think the goalie has any more undue influence than he always has say like 25 years ago. Just that they have become exponentially better. Back then top save percentages where 88-89%, and today 92-93%. Thats approx 2 goals a game per side.

So I'm not saying we should dilute the game, more just bring it back to the level where it was before every goalie was 6-2 and played the butterfly.

My idea is this, think on average how many goalpost are hit per game. I'd say about 1-3 per side per game, just increase the size of the net by a half goal post width all around. Just a measly 1.5" inch all around, and now all those post hits start going in, scoring goes up, goalie dominance is back in balance, and no one viewing is the wiser as everything looks and plays the same. See nhl, no radical net shape change is needed.

So remember this next time you hear the ping of a goal post. Wouldnt it be nice if those went in? Open the game up, NHL, and increase the scoring just the right amount. You've tried everything else, and they are good ideas mostly. But you won't win this war bc you are not addressing the reason of the imbalance, the improvement of the goalies. Return flow back to the way it was... get save percentages back to 90%!

While I would hardly agree that the Goalie exerts more influence on a Team's Fate than the QuarterBack or ~ in a single Game ~ the Pitcher, he is certainly on the same level.

Indeed, I find that to be Hockey's least attractive Attribute.

Nobody's been more contemptuous than I of Major League BaseBall's disgusting & despicable efforts to inflate Statistics since 1987 ~ yes, it's been 26 Years since Wade Boggs hit those 24 Homers!! :eek:

But ~ at the risk of being perceived, despite my previous statement, as a fan of Point Inflation ~ I believe that Hockey would dramatically benefit from either greatly enlarging the Net or shrinking the Goalie's Stick ~ or both.

Of course there's no way that that happens: The Goalie having such an enormous influence on things presents an X Factor that produces random and sometimes shocking Upsets ~ which not only infuses the PlayOffs with added Drama, but also levels the playing field considerably, the combination of which makes the entire Regular Season more interesting, simply because You Never Know: "Maybe our Team will be the one who's Goalie gets hot!!"

But when a significantly better Team ~ and all too often even a great Team, an exciting, entertaining Team ~ loses a PlayOff Series because the inferior Team's Goalie Got Hot at the "right" time, it kind of sucks.

The dramatic increase in scoring that would result from the changes I'm proposing would of course not eliminate the powerful influence that Goalies have on their Team's Fates, obviously.

Furthermore, the Game, as it is now, is burdened with a Scoring Pace far too similar to European FootBall.

Speaking for myself ~ and billions of others, I suspect!! ~ I don't have that kind of Attention Span. :eek:

A much larger Net and smaller Stick for the Goalie, resulting in far more 9-8 Games and ~ far more importantly ~ the constantly high possibility of an imminent Score for the entire 60 Minutes, the Game would suddenly transform into 60 minutes of fast-paced, dramatic, Edge Of Your Seat Mayhem!!

Viewership, I believe, would absolutely explode.

Hockey, in fact, might very well pass BasketBall and even BaseBall in viewership in the Years ahead.

Much More Scoring = Much More Interesting = Much More Viewership = Much More Money!! :rocker:

Those fools running the Game are leaving Billions on the Table.

...Much More Scoring = Much More Interesting = Much More Viewership = Much More Money!! ...

While it could lead to more viewership and more money, I disagree with the notion that more scoring means more interesting.

I realize many people disagree, but I find a 1-0 pitching duel much more interesting than a 12-10 slugfest in baseball. And the runs that are scored become more meaningful.

Same goes in any sport -- the more scoring there is, the less interesting each score is. Plenty of scoring in the NBA, but other than the last few minutes or the occasional spectacular play, who cares about any particular score?

While it could lead to more viewership and more money, I disagree with the notion that more scoring means more interesting.

I realize many people disagree, but I find a 1-0 pitching duel much more interesting than a 12-10 slugfest in baseball. And the runs that are scored become more meaningful.

Same goes in any sport -- the more scoring there is, the less interesting each score is. Plenty of scoring in the NBA, but other than the last few minutes or the occasional spectacular play, who cares about any particular score?

I totally agree with this. I don't necessarily believe it will increase viewership that much. I find playoff hockey to be awesome as it is now and if it continues to produce a lot of seventh games and overtimes with a plethora of teams winning then the viewership will grow automatically.. The only thing they should focus on improving in hockey is the issue of cheapshots and concussions. People sit there and complain about the fighting(which I enjoy to an extent and believe is part of the game strategy), but the real threat is the cheap shots and the people who can get away with them like a Raffie Torres and a Matt Cooke.

Yes, one of the best, but his stats hardly compare to the greatness of the ones I mentioned when you look at their careers. I respect his decision to walk away the way he did, but obviously his overall legacy doesn't matter to him.
I think his legacy is secure even if he doesn't care about it. he had one of if not the greatest years a goalie could ever have.

While I would hardly agree that the Goalie exerts more influence on a Team's Fate than the QuarterBack or ~ in a single Game ~ the Pitcher, he is certainly on the same level.

Indeed, I find that to be Hockey's least attractive Attribute.

Nobody's been more contemptuous than I of Major League BaseBall's disgusting & despicable efforts to inflate Statistics since 1987 ~ yes, it's been 26 Years since Wade Boggs hit those 24 Homers!! :eek:

But ~ at the risk of being perceived, despite my previous statement, as a fan of Point Inflation ~ I believe that Hockey would dramatically benefit from either greatly enlarging the Net or shrinking the Goalie's Stick ~ or both.

Of course there's no way that that happens: The Goalie having such an enormous influence on things presents an X Factor that produces random and sometimes shocking Upsets ~ which not only infuses the PlayOffs with added Drama, but also levels the playing field considerably, the combination of which makes the entire Regular Season more interesting, simply because You Never Know: "Maybe our Team will be the one who's Goalie gets hot!!"

But when a significantly better Team ~ and all too often even a great Team, an exciting, entertaining Team ~ loses a PlayOff Series because the inferior Team's Goalie Got Hot at the "right" time, it kind of sucks.

The dramatic increase in scoring that would result from the changes I'm proposing would of course not eliminate the powerful influence that Goalies have on their Team's Fates, obviously.

Furthermore, the Game, as it is now, is burdened with a Scoring Pace far too similar to European FootBall.

Speaking for myself ~ and billions of others, I suspect!! ~ I don't have that kind of Attention Span. :eek:

A much larger Net and smaller Stick for the Goalie, resulting in far more 9-8 Games and ~ far more importantly ~ the constantly high possibility of an imminent Score for the entire 60 Minutes, the Game would suddenly transform into 60 minutes of fast-paced, dramatic, Edge Of Your Seat Mayhem!!

Viewership, I believe, would absolutely explode.

Hockey, in fact, might very well pass BasketBall and even BaseBall in viewership in the Years ahead.

Much More Scoring = Much More Interesting = Much More Viewership = Much More Money!! :rocker:

Those fools running the Game are leaving Billions on the Table.
Respectfully OTG, I don't agree. The series is a best of 7 requiring 4 wins. There is not much fairer than that in a playoff system that requires a team to win 4 games to progress to the next round.

I'm with chico. I'm defensively inclined and enjoy watching 1-0 scraps where that 1 goal was worth its weight in goal.

I think his legacy is secure even if he doesn't care about it. he had one of if not the greatest years a goalie could ever have.

Maybe to hard core hockey fans and diehard Bruins fans, but he will never be mentioned in the same conversation involving the likes of Roy, Brodeur. Dryden, and the likes. The season he had will always be remembered as one of the greatest a goalie has had and for bringing the Cup to Boston, but he isn't even close to the legendary careers that those guys put up.

I don't think the goalie has any more undue influence than he always has say like 25 years ago. Just that they have become exponentially better. Back then top save percentages where 88-89%, and today 92-93%. Thats approx 2 goals a game per side.
Seems to me that the best goalies always had the biggest pads and this is something that has come under scrutiny. I don't want a soccer goal on the ice -- I'd just like to see a little net through the goalie. What's so fun about watching a big guy spawl in front of the net?

Seems to me that the best goalies always had the biggest pads and this is something that has come under scrutiny. I don't want a soccer goal on the ice -- I'd just like to see a little net through the goalie. What's so fun about watching a big guy spawl in front of the net?

I agree. The size of a goalie's pads, jersey & gloves (both hands) are way too large.
I say: Protect every inch of the goalie's body...but not one inch more.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back