Horror movies chat - Was 3 days later and I'm still thinking about the movie Hereditary.

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Raiders
Pick Results: LAS: 2.2% at NE: 97.8%
Sun
Sep 27th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
This is kind of a random one, but my local library has a film club that I drop in on when they get into stuff that sounds interesting. The last few weeks they've been big on 2000s Spanish horror, so I watched The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone. Both were really good, especially Devil's Backbone. I had no exposure to Spanish horror before that, so for anyone in the same boat who's looking to branch out I strongly recommend it.

Last edited:

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
That's high up on my list but I'm gonna try the other one you recommended. BTW - have you seen Annihilation yet? I asked and you didn't answer and I need to know.

I haven't seen "Us" but I thought "Get Out" completely failed to live up to the hype. I honestly still am not sure why people seemed so bonkers about it. It flopped for me and I can't even really tell what it was supposed to be because it felt like a black horror comedy that failed to deliver anything of merit on any of those fronts. I liked his friend, that's about it.
I wasn't a big fan of Us, TBH. Probably worth watching, I guess, but I was disappointed and don't feel like I would have really missed anything if I'd skipped it entirely. And I did like Get Out quite a bit, so was really disappointed in it. It had me worried that Midsommar would be a similar kind of follow-up disappointment, very relieved that it wasn't.

I also enjoyed Babadook, haven't seen Annihilation yet but will probably check it out soon.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Quiet Place is very good. Sequel coming next year. As far as high concept stuff goes, much better than Bird Box.

Actually, lots of good recommendations here on the sophisticated/arty side, but on the more down and dirty level, I recommend:

Would You Rather
13 Sins
The Circle
The Belko Experiment
+1 on the Belko Experiment, I really enjoyed that one. Fun premise, goes off the wall in a hurry.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Did you see Midsommar? That was the follow up from the director. I thought that both were mesmerizing, although not for everyone. I’ve been wanting to go back and give Hereditary a second view.
I saw midsommar. As a movie I found myself a bit underwhelmed. As a masterclass in film making and cinematography I was very pleased.

The most beautifully shot film I've seen this year.

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Annihilation is a lot like Midsommar to me in that it's gorgeous and there's a lot of dread.

It veers off from Midsommar pretty significantly in terms of horror elements, but I think they're beautifully shot movies first and foremost.

I really love these slow, plodding, well-shot movies that fill you with dread. Much better than jump cuts and 'pulling chunks of glass out of your eye' horror which feels like a gimmick to me and doesn't stick with me. I like a horror movie that bugs me for a day or three.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Annihilation is a lot like Midsommar to me in that it's gorgeous and there's a lot of dread.

It veers off from Midsommar pretty significantly in terms of horror elements, but I think they're beautifully shot movies first and foremost.

I really love these slow, plodding, well-shot movies that fill you with dread. Much better than jump cuts and 'pulling chunks of glass out of your eye' horror which feels like a gimmick to me and doesn't stick with me. I like a horror movie that bugs me for a day or three.
Right on, that sounds ****ing excellent, you basically just 100% described what I'm looking for in a horror movie. I'll take slow-building atmosphere all day any day. Definitely gotta watch it.

Also, if anyone's interested, I've got a Plex server with a bunch of horror movies on it. Just PM me if you want an invite.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Right on, that sounds ****ing excellent, you basically just 100% described what I'm looking for in a horror movie. I'll take slow-building atmosphere all day any day. Definitely gotta watch it.

Also, if anyone's interested, I've got a Plex server with a bunch of horror movies on it. Just PM me if you want an invite.
I have my Amazon Fire stick Jailbroken so horror movies galore for me. Some issues now and then but otherwise reliable.

Wordsmyth

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
This is kind of a random one, but my local library has a film club that I drop in on when they get into stuff that sounds interesting. The last few weeks they've been big on 2000s Spanish horror, so I watched The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone. Both were really good, especially Devil's Backbone. I had no exposure to Spanish horror before that, so for anyone in the same boat who's looking to branch out I strongly recommend it.
Have you seen La Llarona?

Caretaker

Practice Squad Player
I liked 'Hereditary' for attention given to details, very good cast and more demonic feel than your average cursed house/family flick. Also the psychological, brooding buildup impressed me very much.

I'm definitely looking forward to see 'The Lighthouse'. Robert Eggers has done a fantastic job with The VVitch and I truly believe we have a talent there. Last time I was so pumped up for a movie was 'The Revenant' so I'm not that easy to please.

TLDR Go watch The VVitch if you haven't done so.

supafly

Suddenly sad and Brady-less
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I liked 'Hereditary' for attention given to details, very good cast and more demonic feel than your average cursed house/family flick. Also the psychological, brooding buildup impressed me very much.

I'm definitely looking forward to see 'The Lighthouse'. Robert Eggers has done a fantastic job with The VVitch and I truly believe we have a talent there. Last time I was so pumped up for a movie was 'The Revenant' so I'm not that easy to please.

TLDR Go watch The VVitch if you haven't done so.
So, “The Lighthouse” was a miss for me, but Im curious to hear the opinions of others.

aluminum seats

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Looks good to me too, but I just made the mistake of watching the trailer. Why do they make these trailers that basically shows the entire movie condensed into 2 1/2 minutes? Just give me an idea of what it’s about and leave it alone. My mistake for watching it I guess.

supafly

Suddenly sad and Brady-less
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Looks good to me too, but I just made the mistake of watching the trailer. Why do they make these trailers that basically shows the entire movie condensed into 2 1/2 minutes? Just give me an idea of what it’s about and leave it alone. My mistake for watching it I guess.
I agree. I like to go into it knowing as little as possible. That’s pretty much the same for every movie. I absorb some of what’s shown during commercials for the major releases, but I never go out of my way to watch a trailer beforehand.

Wordsmyth

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I was on a Wes Craven Scream binge yesterday. I have part three recorded, and plan on watching the fourth later (I've never seen the last two).