Horror movies chat - Was 3 days later and I'm still thinking about the movie Hereditary.

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: vs Raiders
Pick Results: LAS: 2.2% at NE: 97.8%
Sun
Sep 27th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Yeah, I prefer the creepier psychological thrillers much more than gory stuff too, but Hereditary and Midsommar seemed to offer an artsy type of viewpoint in terms of shock value, so I found that to be entertaining.

Some of the ones that I’ve enjoyed:

Goodnight Mommy
The Witch
The Others
Just watched it. WOW

fnordcircle

The poster who James White said inspires him.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Just watched The VVitch.

Really enjoyed it, though I'm not sure what I'd consider it. Closer to an artsy period piece than regular horror. Which isn't bad I just wasn't ever really disturbed.

Really well-made movie, though.

Watching Midsommar next.

Edit early Midsommar spoilers (I'm only like 5 minutes in)

****ING CALL 911 OMFG

Last edited:

fnordcircle

PatsFans.com Supporter
Finished Midsommar. Yawn, saw it coming in the first 5 minutes.

lmfao I think I liked it more than Hereditary but it was even less of a horror movie, which is fine. Pretty balls out crazy in a good way.

Also I definitely don't want to date again now.

BTW - has anyone seen Annihilation? Out of all the new horror movies to come out in the last half decade I'd say it's probably my favorite.

supafly

Suddenly sad and Brady-less
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Finished Midsommar. Yawn, saw it coming in the first 5 minutes.

lmfao I think I liked it more than Hereditary but it was even less of a horror movie, which is fine. Pretty balls out crazy in a good way.

Also I definitely don't want to date again now.
In regards to your spoiler—don’t worry. That situation isn’t relevant to any of the ladyboys that you’re hunkering down with. They’re too busy watching “The Babadook.”

supafly

PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Lots of good horror these days, Jordan Peele’s in there too even though Us was a miss to me.
I hated “Us.” Like you said, total miss. He used social/political stuff to his benefit in the first one, but that failed miserably in the second.

fnordcircle

PatsFans.com Supporter
In regards to your spoiler—don’t worry. That situation isn’t relevant to any of the ladyboys that you’re hunkering down with. They’re too busy watching “The Babadook.”
That's high up on my list but I'm gonna try the other one you recommended. BTW - have you seen Annihilation yet? I asked and you didn't answer and I need to know.

I hated “Us.” Like you said, total miss. He used social/political stuff to his benefit in the first one, but that failed miserably in the second.
I haven't seen "Us" but I thought "Get Out" completely failed to live up to the hype. I honestly still am not sure why people seemed so bonkers about it. It flopped for me and I can't even really tell what it was supposed to be because it felt like a black horror comedy that failed to deliver anything of merit on any of those fronts. I liked his friend, that's about it.

supafly

PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
That's high up on my list but I'm gonna try the other one you recommended. BTW - have you seen Annihilation yet? I asked and you didn't answer and I need to know.
Yeah, I saw it at the theater, but didn’t remember the name until you brought it up again. My wife loved it, but I was kind of bored. That said, I’ll openly admit that I’m not exactly the sharpest of the sharp, so it’s possible that I just didn’t totally get it. It had good reviews, but it’s definitely not falling in the horror genre. It reminded me of the latest Ridley Scott movie that was supposed to be a prequel to “Alien.” From what I remember, you liked Ridley Scott in The Terror—TV show.

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter

I haven't seen "Us" but I thought "Get Out" completely failed to live up to the hype. I honestly still am not sure why people seemed so bonkers about it. It flopped for me and I can't even really tell what it was supposed to be because it felt like a black horror comedy that failed to deliver anything of merit on any of those fronts. I liked his friend, that's about it.
I think because it was something brand new. I was entertained by “Get Out,” but it’s not a movie that I’m biting at the bit to see again. Just a good psychological thriller. “Us” stunk on ice.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Oh, and come on, guys. You REALLY don’t understand why “Get Out” got the reviews that it did? I’ll give you all a hint - it’s the same reason why “Black Panther” got the reviews it did in spite of it being just okay.

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Without spoilers let me just say that a certain scene in the first act of the movie will either disturb you for days or you'll watch the entire movie thinking it is goofy. And I'd agree - some % of the movie is absolutely goofy but in a good way that hearkens back to another movie I won't mention for fear of spoiling it.

It's a polarizing movie - I won't lie - but people of a specific stripe seem to find the movie more unnerving than the rest and I can't say more without spoiling what I'm talking about.

Holy ****ing **** as a parent the scene you know I'm talking about bothered me in a really good way.
Heredity freaked me out. That is all I will say. I recommend it if you like psychological nightmare thriller type movies. May not be for everyone though.

Wordsmyth

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Oh, and come on, guys. You REALLY don’t understand why “Get Out” got the reviews that it did? I’ll give you all a hint - it’s the same reason why “Black Panther” got the reviews it did in spite of it being just okay.
Identity politics?

Wordsmyth

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Heredity freaked me out. That is all I will say. I recommend it if you like psychological nightmare thriller type movies. May not be for everyone though.
I still haven't seen this or A Quiet Place. I must remedy this.

aluminum seats

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
I still haven't seen this or A Quiet Place. I must remedy this.
Quiet Place is very good. Sequel coming next year. As far as high concept stuff goes, much better than Bird Box.

Actually, lots of good recommendations here on the sophisticated/arty side, but on the more down and dirty level, I recommend:

Would You Rather
13 Sins
The Circle
The Belko Experiment

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
The identity politics adds a 20 to 30% increase in praise from the critics, but Get Out was still a really good movie. It’s the critics going bonkers for Us which most normal people agree sucked that bugs me.
Oh, I liked Get Out. I also enjoyed Black Panther. Neither movie was anywhere near as good as it was rated, though. That’s what happens when you have white critics that are afraid of the labels they’ll get if they criticize the movie.