PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holy **** you guys. We were down 28-3 in the Super Bowl and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did that really happen? The person who must not be named must be laughing his a** off.

It did....but it was for Best Picture.

(THREAD DERAILMENT UP AHEAD)

Did that really happen? The person who must not be named must be laughing his a** off.

I didn't watch the oscars, let me in on the inside joke.

I have friends who turned the game off early because they were so upset. One was rescued by his wife who saw the Pats coming back on another TV elsewhere in the house and got him to turn it back on in the fourth quarter. The other guy missed the game's last 10 minutes, the goofball.

It is pretty hard to believe.

I have friends who turned the game off early because they were so upset. One was rescued by his wife who saw the Pats coming back on another TV elsewhere in the house and got him to turn it back on in the fourth quarter. The other guy missed the game's last 10 minutes, the goofball.
A reason you must always go down with the ship! Especially when it's captained by BB and TFB (sometimes there's a last minute rescue ;-))

I called my mother in Boston(I'm in Oregon) who had gone to bed thinking it was over and said "Tie game!!!" she replied "wha tie how?" she couldn't believe it, when I hung up she passed out again. I called back 10 minutes later screaming "THE WON!!!!!!!!!!! THEY @#$%ing WON!!!!!!!" she woke my father up and we all talked about how awesome it was while watching the ceremony.

I don't understand how you could turn the game off. If it's preseason, I understand; nothing to play for. Regular season, we've seen the comebacks against the broncos and 49ers (ok we lost this one), but genuine comebacks.

HOW COULD YOU TURN THE TV OFF DURING THE SUPERBOWL?!?!?!

One thing that has always amazed me about BB is his complete and utter calmness on the sideline no matter how badly a game may be going, and even more so for him in this SB. Total focus, no histrionics or tantrums. Laser focus with the brain constantly assessing and plotting.
Wish I had that ability.
Go Pats

Wait til Marky Mark hears!

Yeah from the looks of the Gameday thread, he wasn't alone.

I have never seen such prima facie evidence of faith, no matter how battered, rewarded. I don't think anybody thought we'd win that. But I am sure the "game over" crowd was turning off sets all over the place. I wouldn't have missed that game for the world, and it started out looking like the one I'd MOST want to miss.

I thank God I got sick that day... I was supposed to go out to watch it. My friends (not Pats fans) apparently all went home at half-time, because, you know, why?

Here are the last 9 relevant possessions of the game:

NE - 13 plays, 75 yards, 6:25, touchdown
Atl - 3 plays, -15 yards, 2:15, punt
NE - 12 plays, 72 yards, 5:07, field goal
Atl - 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:20, fumble
NE - 5 plays, 25 yards, 2:28, touchdown (2pt conversion)
Atl - 6 plays, 45 yards, 2:26, punt
NE - 10 plays, 91 yards, 2:33, touchdown (2pt conversion)
Atl - 4 plays, 16 yards, 0:54, punt
NE - 8 plays, 75 yards, 3:58, touchdown (end of game)

Total stats for these 9 drives:

NE: 48 plays, 338 yards, 20:31 TOP, 4 touchdowns, 1 field goal, 31 points
Atl: 16 plays, 44 yards, 6:55 TOP, 3 punts, 1 turnover, 0 points

I mean, that's TOTAL domination in every conceivable way.

As a follow up to this point... What's also kind of amazing is that when they were down 28-3, the stats were not remotely one-sided. At that point (following the Atlanta score to make it 28-3), here were the stats:

Atl: 30 plays, 300 yards, 16:32 TOP
NE: 45 plays, 208 yards, 20:00 TOP

So yes, Atlanta had more yards, but the Patriots were moving the ball, had the ball for a lot more plays, and had 3:28 more TOP. In other words, those stats would have suggested that the game was a lot closer than the score would have indicated. The three HUGE mistakes that had killed the Pats up to that point:

- Blount fumble when they were driving (had gone 53 yards on the drive and were at Atlanta's 29)

- Brady's pick-six when they were driving (had gone 52 yards on the drive and were at Atlanta's 23)

- Bennett's holding penalty at the end of the first half that prevented them from getting a touchdown, forcing them to settle for a field goal

That's a possible 18 points they failed to score, and another 7 they gave up. That's a 25 point possible swing. So when people talk about Atlanta's mistakes at the end, they should also talk about the Patriots' mistakes in the beginning. Uncharacteristic mistakes, in fact.

Here's the thing: When the Patriots were making those mistakes and the score was lopsided, the actual play on the field was NOT lopsided; the Pats were more than holding their own in actual on-field play. But when the Patriots cleaned up their act and it was Atlanta making mistakes, not only was the score lopsided, but the on-field play was lopsided as well.

Long story short, the Patriots were simply the much better team in the Super Bowl. It just took the full game (and then some) for it to be borne out.

Something else that I have to keep reminding myself...Brady did what he did, WITHOUT Gronk! :eek:

Just...GOAT!

Tom Brady? System quarterback.

Oh, the league* is in so much trouble if that's true and BB decides to pull a Marv Levy and do this until he's 105.

Hey Ivan here's my broken record thing... I'll use the "weak form" of the argument here, that the game just "developed" into 90-odd defensive snaps for Atlanta, that it just so happened that Atlanta's D was on the field all game, either way...

Can you just imagine the BB/TFB gears turning? We'll get our chance in the 4th... we'll get our chance in the 4th...

And by the way I don't believe for a moment it was coincidence.

BB, classic comic cartoon villain, down 28-3, rubbing his hands together and saying "We've got them just where they want us..."*

*Except the scoreboard thing...

As a follow up to this point... What's also kind of amazing is that when they were down 28-3, the stats were not remotely one-sided. At that point (following the Atlanta score to make it 28-3), here were the stats:

Atl: 30 plays, 300 yards, 16:32 TOP
NE: 45 plays, 208 yards, 20:00 TOP

So yes, Atlanta had more yards, but the Patriots were moving the ball, had the ball for a lot more plays, and had 3:28 more TOP. In other words, those stats would have suggested that the game was a lot closer than the score would have indicated. The three HUGE mistakes that had killed the Pats up to that point:

- Blount fumble when they were driving (had gone 53 yards on the drive and were at Atlanta's 29)

- Brady's pick-six when they were driving (had gone 52 yards on the drive and were at Atlanta's 23)

- Bennett's holding penalty at the end of the first half that prevented them from getting a touchdown, forcing them to settle for a field goal

That's a possible 18 points they failed to score, and another 7 they gave up. That's a 25 point possible swing. So when people talk about Atlanta's mistakes at the end, they should also talk about the Patriots' mistakes in the beginning. Uncharacteristic mistakes, in fact.

Here's the thing: When the Patriots were making those mistakes and the score was lopsided, the actual play on the field was NOT lopsided; the Pats were more than holding their own in actual on-field play. But when the Patriots cleaned up their act and it was Atlanta making mistakes, not only was the score lopsided, but the on-field play was lopsided as well.

Long story short, the Patriots were simply the much better team in the Super Bowl. It just took the full game (and then some) for it to be borne out.

It's been three weeks and I still have trouble believing it. The analysis I've seen - tired Falcons defense, slight halftime adjustments, error-prone Falcons coach - really just aren't that plausible. It's like I'm in a Philip K. **** novel or The Truman Show.
Good analogy, alternative history, Philip ****......

My son lives in mass and I live in Nc. We usually text during the game, nothing this game until with 2 and a half minutes to play, I finally texted something, holy ****....he responded instantly, this is surreal....

^^^ This.

The combination of alcohol, disappointment, stress and having to keep polite and attentive for my guests left me in some kind of a schizoid trance state.

After the Jones catch I thought it really was over, but I had that feeling of gratitude. SB XLIX had been so great that I had no right to another one, so I was happy that, at least, our boys weren't going to be blown away and humiliated (though I REALLY wanted Tom to ram one up Goodell's rectum). Then, God bless him, that's exactly what he -- and all the other heroes -- did.

You didn't throw your guests out at halftime???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back