PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holy **** you guys. We were down 28-3 in the Super Bowl and won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I re-watch the second half, after the strip sack of Ryan by Hightower, and then it gets to 3rd and 11 for the Pats, I think would they kick the field goal to make it 28-15 if they fail on third down. Happily, Brady to Mitchell happens for the first down, and they complete every freaking play needed from then on to win in overtime. Even though I know they don't have to consider the field goal and it was probably four down territory anyway, I think I'll always calculate, hmmm, 28-15, 7 minutes left, kicking off, how's our chances.

This is my story.

I lived in NE 45 years, last 29 in Foxborough. Moved to Long Island to be with the girl of my dreams in 2005.

I lived through the two Jints SB wins. 2007-8, man that was tough. Did not turn on the car radio for a year.

Super Bowl LI was the same day as a friend of my wife's 85th birthday. A great guy, but I asked my wife what kind of toolbag schedules a party on the night of the Superbowl? SHe asked me to come but I told her if one ****wad said the word cheaters I would pin him to the wall, She said maybe... it's best you don't come.

So I didn't. And sure enough, most of the Long Island academics (college professors like my wife) were rooting for Atlanta and the word cheater was flowing around the party like vodka.

At 28-3, I was bummed, but determined, unlike Marky Mark, to watch it to the end. At the same time, when it was 28-3, my wife said she should probably leave the party and come home and take care of me.

When she got home, it was 28-12, I did the math and saw Brady was in a rhythm and said to her, don't worry, we got this. My bride did roll her eyes a bit, but she sat down and watched it with me. "Just don't talk", was the only thing I said. 28-20 and I thought, here we go. The whole Julio Jones catch, sack thing did not register with me how close it came to needing another onside kick.

28-28, it was in the bag.

I kind of wonder if Deion Lewis hadn't been shot by an Atlanta fan, how close he might have come to scoring. There was a WALL of blockers in front of him.

Coin toss, steam rolling drive, TD, the end. Best ever. Eat **** Marky Mark.

And one of the funny side effects of this comeback is a whole bunch of opposing team fans finally accepting and admitting that Brady and Belichick are the GOAT.

I live in NC and thats all anyone is saying now. Even my Jets fan friends. It's like they finally realize how stupid they look to deny it

I was actually thinking about this earlier today, but I was thinking about it in terms of the players and coaches. There have to be times during their days where they stop and think "Holy Sh!t, we actually did it"

Frigging amazing

Sorry - I'm not pandering for likes and **** I'm serious - I still have these moments of lucidity when I realize how insane it is that we won that ****ing game.

CuWK1mc.png

LOOK AT THAT ****. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE?

I said before I am jealous of Saints fans since it seems they enjoyed this game more than we did.

We have our Goodell clown shirt, but currently the popular shirt in New Orleans has that score graphic on the front and the back of the shirt bears the same graphic layout with the final score.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today, but I was thinking about it in terms of the players and coaches. There have to be times during their days where they stop and think "Holy Sh!t, we actually did it"

Frigging amazing

I imagine Pats players and fans, & Falcons players and fans, still wake up in the middle of the night screaming, but for different reasons.

There will probably be a college course someday on this game and the attendant psychology.

I admit it. I doubted the come back all through the comeback. I was so depressed - Atlanta scoring after half time just crushed me.When Ghost missed the extra point, I told myself it is not our day. I was lamenting on the phone with a friend from across the country while Hightower was making the play. On the two pointer to tie the game, I walked around the house for 30 secs to comeback inside and scream deliriously. It was only at the two yard line in OT that I thought "holy cow we are going to win this"!

I said before I am jealous of Saints fans since it seems they enjoyed this game more than we did.

We have our Goodell clown shirt, but currently the popular shirt in New Orleans has that score graphic on the front and the back of the shirt bears the same graphic layout with the final score.

God love Saints fans. They suffered so many years - the Aints and the paper bags - and then Drew Brees happened. Who Dat!

In the first half, maybe after the pick-6, I turned and said to a friend at the bar (Gritty's in Portland, ME), "I'd rather have a ****ty first half then a ****ty second half." At halftime, I said, "there is just way too much time left for the Falcons to feel comfortable." In the third quarter, right after the 4th Falcons touchdown I said, 'Ok so that is a little more we have to overcome, but we have to start NOW." I still maintained there was a ****load of time on the clock, and what were the Patriots supposed to do, say, "ok, you've won we'll stop playing?"

I had seen four Patriots superbowl losses. I was prepared for it to happen again. But I don't think I ever gave up the confidence that they could still win the game it they put their mind to it. Then they did. Superb. They proved that it is the full 60 minutes that count and to never give up, especially in the championship game. Even when down 25 they had to keep playing; giving up wasn't an option. I mean, they really had no choice, right?

Every Pats fan I know was working out mentally that they should kick the FG down 28-9 to be 16 points down, two TDs and two 2 point conversions.

Here are the last 9 relevant possessions of the game:

NE - 13 plays, 75 yards, 6:25, touchdown
Atl - 3 plays, -15 yards, 2:15, punt
NE - 12 plays, 72 yards, 5:07, field goal
Atl - 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:20, fumble
NE - 5 plays, 25 yards, 2:28, touchdown (2pt conversion)
Atl - 6 plays, 45 yards, 2:26, punt
NE - 10 plays, 91 yards, 2:33, touchdown (2pt conversion)
Atl - 4 plays, 16 yards, 0:54, punt
NE - 8 plays, 75 yards, 3:58, touchdown (end of game)

Total stats for these 9 drives:

NE: 48 plays, 338 yards, 20:31 TOP, 4 touchdowns, 1 field goal, 31 points
Atl: 16 plays, 44 yards, 6:55 TOP, 3 punts, 1 turnover, 0 points

I mean, that's TOTAL domination in every conceivable way.

There was no panic in the Pats play - they kept running the offense and what they thought were the best plays. No home run desperation. Although that first TD drive seemed to take forever. "Take it one play at a time" is a cliche - but they managed to do it. When it was over, they were amazed at what they had done.

This crowd might like this...............two nights ago I was at standing at the fridge in the kitchen. My wife and kids were in the other room (living room) when my wife asked who or what I was swearing about. (she thought I must have been on the phone because there was no one else in the room).

I started laughing because I instinctively without even really realizing it uttered "we f***ing won" referring to the Super Bowl.

Part of what really amazed me was the fact that we needed two two point conversions and got them.

In some weird way, it almost feels like 21 is easier to get than 16. I've never seen any team get two in a row.

Harvard got 2 in the last 42 seconds to "beat" Yale 29-29 nearly 50 years ago.

Falcons scored to make it 28-3 and my wife looks at me and asks
"Can they still win". I replied "Well it COULD happen".
She asked the same question with hope in her eyes and after seeing
time remaining I replied "yes they can". You never saw a person root
so hard and get so excited after each defense series and offense score.
I learned what a never say die fan really is. She never gave up hope
and predicted a win after I said "yes they can".
I'm still smiling.

It must be this shirt.....:D

28-3? That's nothing. I just saw the greatest comeback in Oscar history.

Did that really happen? The person who must not be named must be laughing his a** off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes