PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Highlight Reel: sleeper QB Davis Mills

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score

Kid out of Stanford. Has an extremely small sample size. Might sound crazy but he has a little Matt Ryan in him.

Also his teammate Semi Fohoko, 6'4 WR, just ran an insane 4.37 40-yard dash. Both kids might be available in late rounds and worth a look.

Kid out of Stanford. Has an extremely small sample size. Might sound crazy but he has a little Matt Ryan in him.

Also his teammate Semi Fohoko, 6'4 WR, just ran an insane 4.37 40-yard dash. Both kids might be available in late rounds and worth a look.

I don't see Ryan, I see someone like the kid the Bears drafted Mitch, watch the video again, he just stares down his intended receiver post snap. I guess he may develop over time. Not sure he can start in the league this year. Potential is there, anticipation is there. If there were his best highlights, wanted to see more scanning of the field.

I don't see Ryan, I see someone like the kid the Bears drafted Mitch, watch the video again, he just stares down his intended receiver post snap. I guess he may develop over time. Not sure he can start in the league this year. Potential is there, anticipation is there. If there were his best highlights, wanted to see more scanning of the field.

Is he staring down a primary receiver? Remember Stanford runs a lot of verticals so he should be looking down field.

I think a quick release is good. I'm not a fan of seeing long plays defined as 'scanning', if a guy knows where to go with the ball based on the defense and makes quick decisions, this should be a good thing. A guy who looks left and right multiple times every snap is actually a huge red flag.

I think a quick release is good. I'm not a fan of seeing long plays defined as 'scanning', if a guy knows where to go with the ball based on the defense and makes quick decisions, this should be a good thing. A guy who looks left and right multiple times every snap is actually a huge red flag.

Very limited sample size here and I can't make any conclusions here but I will keep watching. I hear what you are saying but if you know where you need to go, then the next level is to throw the defense off by looking else where. Watch Mac Jones.

normally a guy that looks left and right is trying move a safety.

Mills ran a 4.59 apparently but that doesn't show up on film. He's slightly grown on me over the past week but I still only see a developmental prospect. He has some tools but feels like a Stidham type at best. His receivers never seem to be open and so there is plenty of evidence of him throwing the ball into tight windows but he also throws some absolute head scratchers. Jim Nagy said he and Mond wouldn't get out of round 2, which seems a reach.

I'm not against taking him in the 3rd but he'll need a couple of years to sit and learn, and I want whoever we draft this year to have a decent chance to start in 2022.

I have him QB7, he's a tricky evaluation, it's all projection. He's a high ceiling, but a pretty low floor type of player.

Very limited sample size here and I can't make any conclusions here but I will keep watching. I hear what you are saying but if you know where you need to go, then the next level is to throw the defense off by looking else where. Watch Mac Jones.

I hear ya. Funny about Mac, I've seen some reports claim Mac is really bad at his 2nd and 3rd read throws. I think in general claims about a QB's 2nd and 3rd read throws are dubious. These guys don't know a team's playbook or what a QB was trying to do. A QB who always does his homework and knows exactly where to go with the ball, it might look like he's only throwing to 1st reads all the time when it's actually just being on top of the game. A guy taking a long time in the pocket is more likely winging it than should get credit for 'scanning the field'.

He looks kind a meh in his highlight video. That really isn't a good thing.

He looks kind a meh in his highlight video. That really isn't a good thing.

I'm don't disagree. I just remember Matt Ryan as a lanky kid out of BC looking kind of like this. Again huge caveat that this QB has a real small sample size. I just meant it's not the end of the world if we don't get the 5 hyped up QB names and take someone later and develop them.

I think Kyle Trask may grown into something, I forgot about him until I saw an article today about the Saints showing interest. He really played well against A&M last year. It is the only game I have watched of him so I don't remember seeing any thing concerning about him but he was in total command of his offense against A&M. Had a bit of Peyton in him at the LOS.
James White will love his throws on wheel routes or sluggos. Josh will also love him, WR screens check. I guess the only thing I saw in the A&M game was his propensity to throw into multiple coverage. He really trusted his receiving corps.

Last edited:
I think Kyle Trask may grown into something, I forgot about him until I saw an article today about the Saints showing interest. He really played well against A&M last year. It is the only game I have watched of him so I don't remember seeing any thing concerning about him but he was in total command of his offense against A&M. Had a bit of Peyton in him at the LOS.
James White will love his throws on wheel routes or sluggos. Josh will also love him, WR screens check. I guess the only thing I saw in the A&M game was his propensity to throw into multiple coverage. He really trusted his receiving corps.

Josh McDaniels was the lone Pats rep to Florida so absolutely no Florida players now. Cross them all off the board. Last time McDaniels went to Florida he thought Chad Jackson and Tim Tebow were first round picks. Cross off players from any school McDaniels scouted alone.

Josh McDaniels was the lone Pats rep to Florida so absolutely no Florida players now. Cross them all off the board. Last time McDaniels went to Florida he thought Chad Jackson and Tim Tebow were first round picks. Cross off players from any school McDaniels scouted alone.
Maybe this is the year he solves his drafting issues? No?

I would draft pitts (1), trask (2-3), toney (2), or forsythe (6-7) in their appropriate round without hesitation!

Mills looks like a 3rd-rounder, like around where Mason Rudolph was picked in 2018...

As a long time football fan, each time I saw him play, I thought of Bart Starr. Poised and accurate, could develop into a leader.

I'm going to say that Mills is our pick in the 2nd round, potentially even with a trade up. I'm just getting that sense now. Out of interest, have we had any reported contact with him? I've heard Jones, Fields, Mond etc but nothing on Mills...

As a long time football fan, each time I saw him play, I thought of Bart Starr. Poised and accurate, could develop into a leader.

Considering the regard in which many of us here hold Bart Starr, that is very, Very high praise...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back