SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Has anyone here Read "The Stand"???

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Keegs, Apr 13, 2008.

1. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,902
    ---
    Dude, it sucked for me; I started reading them when I was a freshman in HS in 93. Waiting for book 4 was awful, and then another 6 years for book 5...it was agonizing.

2. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22
    ---
    i bought the first one at a booksale and plan on reading them eventually... i always see them on sale at bookstores for like 5 bucks for the hardcovers.

I just started IT and read the first chapter. it already seems to move along faster than the stand but we'll see.

3. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Oh no way man. You can't consider that ending a let down. It was the only way the Dark Tower could have ended. I don't want to talk about it in the forum so people reading it aren't spoiled, but its one of the only King endings I actually agreed with fully and enjoyed.

4. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I can totally relate, the Wheel of Time is a series I started, then wait, and wait and wait, and then what happens, the effing writer dies! Now some other Hack is going to "finish" it with a 1200 page final book. Yeah...right, whatever.

I stopped reading all "in progress" series. I had to, I started another series by George R.R. Martin and waiting for a while for the 4th Book, and now he's still writing the 5th and has indicated there are at least 2 more to come. Ef that. I'll wait til its done and then pick it back up.

James Patterson started to pss me off too, with all his freaking books. Its like, man, stop re-using the same characters over and over again and give me at least a little something refreshing. Some of these guys are writing books just to get movie and tv deals. Its frustrating as hellfire.

5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1
    ---
    I really liked that ending too, I thought it was a good way to finish the series. I was let down just because I liked the story so much, and spent basically the entire summer reading it, that I didn't want to say goodbye to the great characters. A few years down the road once I've started to forget some of it I'll probably read it again.

6. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    they were fantastic characters. and the crossover stuff was great fun too. King really let go of it all with the Dark Tower and just went with it. You could feel in some of the books that even as he was writing it, he had no idea where it was going and the story just took its own path. There were times I was like "Oh no! don't do that" and you could almost feel that King was saying the same thing..."no I don't want this to happen" but it did anyway. The story just wrote itself. At least, that's how it was made to feel.

7. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,902
    ---
    Ok, let me rephrase as vaugely as possible. Not the ACTUAL ending, when he found the horn and afterwards...that was fine with me. I don't think it was the only way it could have ended, but it was solid.

My problem was more about alot of the stuff that happened before that. I thought Mordred was wasted, the confrontation at the Tower was lame, and that whole thing at the house with the note in the bathroom was convoluted and kind of silly, for me.

Actually, though, discussing this makes me want to reread the last 3. The characters really were great.

8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,393
    ---
    I think I read the Stand in high school or college - enjoyed it very much and thought it was one of King's better works.. but let's not kid ourselves about King's literary prowess. I haven't read any of his novels for at least 15 years - just don't have much of an interest in that, but I'll give him the credit he's due - and again, thought that was a very original story.

Do youself a favor though - stay away from whatever mini-series adaptations have been done. Gary Sinese was actually in The Stand and his and all the acting was pretty darn bad.

The Tommyknockers was just a downright awful miniseries. You just had to watch to see how bad it could be.

But in their defense, they were trying to follow the novels as closely as they could - which kiindof reaffirms that King's dialogue and character development are just a step above that of a comic book.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  9. Koma

Koma In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,596
    ---
    Marvel will be doing an adaptation of the Stand:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16631

It will be presented in 6 five-issue series' with the first one beginning in September. You can either start picking it up then or wait until they collect the "arcs" into trade paperbacks (which is probably what I will do).

10. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    The Horn was a classic move on Kings part for sure. He did kind of get lame on Mordred, I felt like he got bored with that character after spending books developing him.

The Rest were great Characters, I could never have a favorite of the four. Hell I even liked Oy.

11. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22
    ---
    I just finished "IT" and i thought that the Stand was better.

the only reason im really comparing them is that they are both 1,000+ pages and i pretty much read them in a row.

IT was good but it was just too long and while sometimes it was great to read, other times it felt like a chore.

12. Dino 6 Rings

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    IT wasn't one of my favorites, totally agree on it feeling like a chore.IT was just too much for me and was anti-climatic for me. Try Needful Things, that is one of his that I enjoyed. I never did finish the Tommyknockers. He bored me there. Dreamcatcher I listened to on audio book, which I do alot now with different books, guess I'm just being lazy lol.

Bag of Bones, if I haven't already suggested it, was a great read. It reads really fast too, at least it did for me. That was one of my favorites and I actually got a little heebee jeebees while reading it.

13. coltsgirl

coltsgirl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I read both of them several times... can't decide which was better. I like King, but his latest books is just too confusing and complicated, I think.

I'm a big reader of Dean R Koontz tho. Have almost all his books and read them over and over again (that's the good thing about Altzheimer's - a book seems new everytime :cool: j/k)

About "Dark Tower"- series: I started with the first 4 parts years ago, and then I just gave up. Never came back to it. Maybe I should, but then I would have to read them from start again