PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harris shows leadership w/o playing time

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I don't understand why people have problem w Harris being on the team without playing time. He came in as a backup to ILB position . KVN took the job in High's absence and Elandon is situational option vs run.

Id guess its a good situation to have experienced backup at hand if something happens to KVN (or Elandon and High to some degree). Texans lost 3 top front 7 players in one game (two for the season). I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on the field more vs some bigger, slower O's and goal-line situations.

Last but not least . Id guess he is a player BB likes to have around for the team . and its not like he is doing nothing. Here a nice article on Harris and his role on Pats team:

David Harris makes impact for Patriots off the field
____

quotes:

According to Hightower, Harris has been like another coach off the field to the younger players:
“I’m saying like defensive coordinator-type stuff, I mean, coming from two different organizations back whenever he was at the Jets, guys know that if there’s one thing about David it’s that he’s a real smart linebacker. I think that guys here saw that real quick and appreciate it. He’s helped that other waves of guys that are coming in, so for him to come in and learn the playbook as well as he has and still help the younger guys like E-Rob and the second and third year guys in the secondary, so it really helps to have that extra bag of leadership in the back end.”

Harris:
“It’s been amazing just seeing how everything works here and just how everybody works hard,” Harris said. “Everybody is dedicated to winning. You always heard different things about the Patriots from the outside, but it’s a lot different once you are actually here and a part of it. Attention to detail is amazing here and I appreciate that.”

Last edited:
The entire LB situation has been in my opinion the biggest problem for the Pats defense. Harris was not brought in to back up KVN and Roberts. He was brought in to allow an experiment for Hightower (which sounds more physical limitation avoidance). That spot is THE focal point of the D from the Teddy Johnson days and remains unchanged. That position communicates everything for the D maybe with exception to Rodney’s days because he did what ever he wanted and Merriweather tried to be Rodney! The whole communication breakdown by the DBs, I put solely on that Mike spot. Hightower needs to either be moved back or we need to get Harris into the field. I believe the Ealy cut may be playing into Harris still being around but make no mistake, NE has never been big spenders and they’re certainly not enjoying paying a player that much money to be a healthy scratch. Bill likes to use players as much as possible ESPECIALLY his LBs, RBs and Safety’s they are typically all over special teams. I like Harris and think he could be a difference maker on this defense especially in our current state. Listen to Mayo and Willie talk about the communication issues.

Quote from Mayo on recent podcast regarding communication flow on the defense.

Harris is snail slow. Sloth like. Not his fault, but ridiculous that belichick is so fond of washed up vets. 5m for this slug? Was duane starks not available?

NE has never been big spenders and they’re certainly not enjoying paying a player that much money to be a healthy scratch.

There is a salary cap

If his legs are gone, (resulting in NO quickness so to speak) and yet he has a keen mind then why not officially make him a coach?

Quote from Mayo on recent podcast regarding communication flow on the defense.

I think you are taking doing whatever he wanted a bit too literal. He still played within the scheme it is just that he understood his role and the roles of everyone else on each play which gave him opportunities to do some stuff by himself when he saw a chance to do so. In other words he knew sometimes he could take a specific risk because other players would cover him up if it backfired.

Last edited:
You cannot help the ball club from the hot tub.

Disappointing 2017 Free Agents save Cooks.and Gillislie.

D Allen is useless except for blocking.
Burkhead has not been on the field.
Gilmore has made the pass defense worse.
Harris , his only tackle is when someone tried to steal is pork chop at the Gillette cafeteria.

Do not want to disparage David Harris, however good to hear that he is acting like a coach on the field, but it seems as though there is a lot of cap money tied up in a guy who has only played 7 snaps in 5 games..

It seems as though currently that cap money could have been spent better, but the body of work is incomplete and perhaps a better assessment of his worth should take place after game 19....

How do you know ? Are you there for every practice and meeting ? Only watching the games on Sunday and thinking you are qualified to judge a players impact on the team is laughable.
Eh, you don't give up $5M and a valuable roster spot at a thin position for essentially another coach that gives you little to nothing on the field. Hopefully they're either managing his snaps and easing him in or he's recovering from some type of minor injury and can actually get some snaps later on. He shouldn't be asked to cover one on one anymore but he'd be a valuable asset on run downs.

If he can't help on the field, hire him as a coach so that his time on the sidelines is properly compensated. HR 101.

Have the Patriots had LB Sio Moore in for a look?

He got cut with a hamstring in training camp. If he can play, he's a hybrid SS/LB who would be a good fit in the 3-4. He had good cover skills coming out of UConn and is only 27. Sio Moore - Unsigned Free Agent - 2017 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

How do you know ? Are you there for every practice and meeting ? Only watching the games on Sunday and thinking you are qualified to judge a players impact on the team is laughable.
His impact is on par with those players that don't dress on game day .

Harris , his only tackle is when someone tried to steal is pork chop at the Gillette cafeteria.
I don't think I'd lump Burkhead in there. He's been very useful before he got injured. He provides a quick option for Brady either out of the backfield or out of the slot. Allen has been totally useless and Harris has been invisible. Gilmore certainly hasn't been good, to date (save Tampa), but he's still learning.

Eh, you don't give up $5M and a valuable roster spot at a thin position for essentially another coach that gives you little to nothing on the field. Hopefully they're either managing his snaps and easing him in or he's recovering from some type of minor injury and can actually get some snaps later on. He shouldn't be asked to cover one on one anymore but he'd be a valuable asset on run downs.

But that is not what I am saying. My issue is with people that are saying the team is getting nothing in return which is not true. Of course they didnt sign him to be a backup that gives them some veteran leadership in the locker room but for whatever reason this is where we are and the front office and coaching staff decided that the combination of dead money, leadership role and backup is worth more than the opportunity cost of carrying him on the roster.

It is not like they are afraid to cut their losses if things definitely dont work out as evidenced many times in the past. Personally I think once we get into November and December where teams will run more than now Harris might be able to carve out a role.

I would say Gillislee is a disappointment so far as well. 3.6 yards a carry and 0 receptions. Now some of the low yards per carry is probably OL related. But still he hasn't been anything to get excited about.

I don't think I'd lump Burkhead in there. He's been very useful before he got injured. He provides a quick option for Brady either out of the backfield or out of the slot. Allen has been totally useless and Harris has been invisible. Gilmore certainly hasn't been good, to date (save Tampa), but he's still learning.

I have seen people continuously wondering where Burkhead is which confuses me. I mean he broke some ribs and didnt practice for a while so that injury could heal. Did someone expect him to return on a short week against TB when he missed almost all of practice leading up to the Panthers game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back