PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gus Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Has anyone heard any mini-camp reports about him? I've heard about Sanders, but nothing about G Scott. Is he going to be a player?

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't hear much except he is being looked at closely..two years two injuries is NOT good news..I think he's being looked at to be part of the safety mix..Heard better things on Sanders...

I watched Gus Scott play against PK Sam in the Gators/Fsu game, and he was in on every play and easily the most active guy on the field. He hit hard, got his hands on balls, forced fumbles. I was so pumped about him two years ago.

If this guy ever overcomes injury and actually gets up to speed, he could be a playa, I still haven't totally written him off because if he clings on as a back-up and gets back in shape, he might be an unsung veteran who starts later on down the road.

Or he'll get cut in training camp.....

Only thing I remember reading is that he was, at some point, coming in as the nickel CB, which surprised me a little.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I watched Gus Scott play against PK Sam in the Gators/Fsu game, and he was in on every play and easily the most active guy on the field. He hit hard, got his hands on balls, forced fumbles. I was so pumped about him two years ago.

If this guy ever overcomes injury and actually gets up to speed, he could be a playa, I still haven't totally written him off because if he clings on as a back-up and gets back in shape, he might be an unsung veteran who starts later on down the road.

Accoring to KC Joyner, Scott was picked on frequently and allowed too many deep passes during his college days in Florida.

With the Pats, he looked Dexter Reid awful and it seemed everytime he tried to make a tacke, he'd limp off the field.

I'm guessing he's going to be cut this summer.

Last edited:
Scott looked a lot better than Reid .. considering Reid got playing time with Rodney and SCott didnt..preseason he was good..then he got pushed into starting role with Eugene..and no1 did well till Hawkins got some leadership

I had been interested to see how he would do. As I recall, there were a bunch of safeties still on the board who ranked higher by the amorphous "consensus." So I thought this would be a useful test case of either a player who fit particularly well in BB's system, or a case of BB evaluating better than others, or a case of a BB overreach.

He also completely blew the play on the winning Touchdown PK caught, but yes overall he was a very underrated college player IMO.

He's been injured most of the time here.

Rodney's not getting any younger, no matter how well he recovers.

The Pats need safeties for the future and I don't see why they wouldn't want to develop Scott and Sanders.

I'm sure they'll give them every opportunity to show what they've got.

Sanders has had a full season and was a reasonable nickel back last year, beating out Poteat. bb likes to use backup safeties as nickels. Sanders was a solid pick as is part of the future.

Guss Scott has shown flashes of good play, but mostly has been injured. He will need win a position on special teams, for which he is well-qualified. He has Jones and Mitchell ahead of him. He also could beat out Hawkins as the primary backup safety, but I doubt it. He also could be the #11 db beating out one of the linebackers special teamers.

Note that I expect to keep six safeties and four corners.

You must've stopped watching right before he gave up the 60 yd bomb to PK that lost the game...

I didn't think that Gus Scott rolled over to allow a 60 yard completion to Pk Sam. He came over and got his hands on the ball and almost forced the ball out, and he was not the primary cover guy on that play, I think he was simply coming in from deep safety and the cornerback totally lost coverage.

He came as close as possible to grabbing out the ball without actually succeeding.

I didn't rewatch the play or anything, and that is the only time I saw him play. My overall impression was that he was the most active defender in the game, and that he couldn't save the corner's blown coverage.

I could be wrong, and I don't really care if he gets cut or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back