Gronkowski: I had at least 20 concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Gronk gave an interview with CBS News where he said he had at least 20 concussions and remembers at least 5 blackout concussions.

Stay retired, Gronk!

Probably he took the right decision...take care Gronk...

Ouch, enjoy the good life and the three rings Gronk...we will always have memories of your great playing days...hopefully you will too.

I’ve had one concussion in my life, as a result of a cycling accident in 2002. I’d be dead without my helmet; it was split in two. When I came to 15 minutes later, a nurse asked me my name, and I thought, “I don’t know it right now... but I think it will come back to me.”

Still have massive migraines as a result of that accident, when the humidity changes, nigh onto 20 years later. And that’s ONE blackout concussion. ONE.

Gronk.... stay down.

"Patriots fined and stripped of draft picks for under-reporting concussions"... film at 11

"Patriots fined and stripped of draft picks for under-reporting concussions"... film at 11

So sad that the Pats can't even breathe without creating perceived Gate fodder.

I guarantee you that the NFL will not go there, or anywhere near there. They've fought a big battle to keep the dark part of the game under wraps. They protect their multi-billion dollar empire at any cost.

NFW Gronk should even THINK about playing again. Hard to do if you love playing but multiple concussions are way, way too serious.

I’ve had one concussion in my life, as a result of a cycling accident in 2002. I’d be dead without my helmet; it was split in two. When I came to 15 minutes later, a nurse asked me my name, and I thought, “I don’t know it right now... but I think it will come back to me.”

Still have massive migraines as a result of that accident, when the humidity changes, nigh onto 20 years later. And that’s ONE blackout concussion. ONE.

Gronk.... stay down.

Yeah, my wife had one a few years ago and still has random brain fog from it.

Poor Gronk, "Yeah, but like I said, I'm fixed." Sorry big fella, you are just functionally repaired, you aren't "fixed."

Yup...at this point you just hope there is no lingering damage to him.

He went out on top and man what a catch that last one was.

Rob Gronkowski: I've had probably 20 concussions in my life

The article ends with:

Gronkowski certainly was not on the injury report 20 times with a concussion, which makes this fairly notable that the NFL isn't doing the best job when it comes to disclosing concussions.

Where exactly did Gronk say all 20 of the concussions he experienced happened while playing professional football? Several of them may have occurred while in college or while in high school.
Does he ski or own a dirt bike?

(Not minimizing the hazards of playing in the NFL)

Yikes...this is really bad news for everyone, and I hope he is okay long-term. I am glad he told the truth.

That numbers only accurate if you can trust the word of someone who’s had a bunch of concussions. :)

The article ends with:

Where exactly did Gronk say all 20 of the concussions he experienced happened while playing professional football? Several of them may have occurred while in college or while in high school.

If he blacked out in a concussion on the field, I would hope someone would have noticed.

And, in any case, apparently the horseplay he and his brothers would get into was . . . intense. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the concussions came from that.

The article ends with:

Correct, he clearly said in my life, he might have one while fighting with his brothers :D
Thats just media with a try to blame Patriots indirectly, like you cannot get a concusion outside of football or in HS/College:rolleyes:

It's been long said that playing along the los is the equivalent to 50-60 car crashes. Look at every time an OL'm takes on any power. Or a RB takes/gives a hit. Its a brutal sport. Most guys are shuffling, not walking Monday morning.

So naturally Thursday is the perfect night for a game after Sunday.

Yikes, that's messed up. Again, I really hope he doesn't come back. Enjoy a well-earned retirement and the tons of money you've saved up.

The article ends with:

I agree that some of them could have happened outside of his time with the Pats, but I'll take a guess that the significant majority did happen in NE just based on math (years in and out of the NFL) and the leveling of size once he got to the NFL (bigger collisions against bigger and faster players).

In any case, the league is dreading hearing this stuff from Gronk. They don't need the perception that for every official concussion, multiples more go unreported.

Regards,
Chris

As much as I selfishly want him to come back I would really be happy if he stayed retired. He said he saved all his NFL contract money so he has more than he will ever need. You can never buy your health back and I hope he enjoys a long healthy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes