PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk the Horse Qualifes for the Kentucky Derby!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Thoroughbred 'Gronk' closer to Derby berth

Gronkowski is a step closer to competing in the Kentucky Derby. Not Rob Gronkowski, the New England Patriots tight end, but the horse named after him. The horse won the Kentucky Derby conditions stakes on Wednesday night at Kempton Park in southwest London, giving Gronkowski 20 qualification points for the first race of the Triple Crown at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky, in May.

Kerri Radcliffe of Phoenix Thoroughbreds, which owns the horse, said the height -- the same as Gronkowski (6-foot-5) -- and size of the horse made Gronkowski an appropriate name.
38889-medium.jpeg

Last edited:
Last few years you've needed 30+ to qualify, with 40+ needed to not be a standby. He'll have to place at Burradon at the end of the month to qualify. The European road is normally real low class so I wouldn't expect much even if he qualifies and ships to Churchill Downs.

Last edited:
Whew

For a second I thought he had been traded to the Steelers, with all the benefits that go with that.

Whew

For a second I thought he had been traded to the Steelers, with all the benefits that go with that.

************, I'm going to have nightmares now about this. Short of Brady or BB dying, I can't imagine worse possible football news than Gronk going to the Steelers.

Last few years you've needed 30+ to qualify, with 40+ needed to not be a standby. He'll have to place at Burradon at the end of the month to qualify. The European road is normally real low class so I wouldn't expect much even if he qualifies and ships to Churchill Downs.
so what are the odds of gronkowski qualifying? 69 to 1?

Career high speed score of 75 would suggest a lack of catlike quickness.
2018 Statistics*
Starts: 2
Firsts: 1
Seconds: 0
Thirds: 0
Earnings: $5,928
Earnings Per Start: $2,964
Highest 69

A true Gronkian rating for 2018 tho.

Weird thing about this horse and how much public money goes into the Derby is normally he'd go off at like 50-1 in the 20 horse field but because of his name he'll probably have shorter odds.

Watch Justify in the Arkansas Derby for your likely Kentucky Derby favorite. Good chance of breaking the Apollo curse this year. That horse is like American Pharoah and California Chrome, a physical freak. And there's a trend towards late bloomers being the prize of the 3 year old crop with Arrogate and West Coast the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes