Pick Results: NE: 83.1% at BUF: 16.9%

Mon
Dec 6th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I do all the grocery shopping and meal prep to take the load off my over-stressed RN wife. While inflation has hit most consumables, food prices seem to have gone through the roof. I can't make a short grocery run without plunking down $50+ and have real difficulty staying under $100 for a regular load (about 10 days worth).

My regular go-to grocer is Market Basket and I love Trader Joe's but don't get there very often. I avoid Stop-N-Shop, Shaw's, Hannaford and Whole Foods because of their prices. In lean times I'd shop Aldi and am back to checking them out. A recent discovery for quality, cheaper non-perishables is Ocean State Job Lot -- some great small-brand/imported finds there.

I wonder how others here are navigating this.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Here in FL, we shop Aldi's, kind of a Trader Joe's type, for almost everything. Cut our grocery bill by maybe 40%, and the quality is the same or better than the big stores.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Here in FL, we shop Aldi's, kind of a Trader Joe's type, for almost everything. Cut our grocery bill by maybe 40%, and the quality is the same or better than the big stores.

I like Aldi too, but they lack some basics. I shopped there a couple days ago -- no tartar sauce, chopped frozen spinach or canned fried onions. :confused:

maust1013

Just Another Guy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
2021 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I wonder how others here are navigating this.has slid up to pork territory

Carefully Brother Tune, very carefully.
There have been far more positive than negative impacts to making our former 2nd home our primary residence a couple of years ago, shopping has not been one of them. There simply aren't many choices here and anyone in this area not shopping carefully is paying through the nose more than ever. In particular meat prices have escalated horrifically over the past few months, almost back to where they were last Fall. Beef has become ridiculous and pork is selling at what used to be beef prices and chicken is headed there. As an odd net result, here at least, seafood has become a reasonable choice comparatively speaking.

Not going to dissemble, other than a bit of grumbling to myself it hasn't really changed our buying habits much. I'm only shopping for the two of us and our financial circumstances remain comfortable. That said, I definitely see the impact of the price escalation in the shopping carts and conversations of a lot of folks. Both are most decidedly looking more and more like last Fall.

On a positive note, in state growers have been having a good year. The local area co-ops, markets and farm stands are killing it lately

Last edited:

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I go to market basket and some things are more but it hasn’t changed my habits….still get my meats delivered from Walden farms.

supply chain is a problem … shortage of truck drivers… Sysco is failing to keep up with scheduled deliveries to their customers

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I do all the grocery shopping and meal prep to take the load off my over-stressed RN wife. While inflation has hit most consumables, food prices seem to have gone through the roof. I can't make a short grocery run without plunking down $50+ and have real difficulty staying under $100 for a regular load (about 10 days worth).

My regular go-to grocer is Market Basket and I love Trader Joe's but don't get there very often. I avoid Stop-N-Shop, Shaw's, Hannaford and Whole Foods because of their prices. In lean times I'd shop Aldi and am back to checking them out. A recent discovery for quality, cheaper non-perishables is Ocean State Job Lot -- some great small-brand/imported finds there.

I wonder how others here are navigating this.

what’s the difference between Aldi and market basket? I’ve heard they don’t carry national brands which means I’d be going to market basket anyway

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
I like Aldi too, but they lack some basics. I shopped there a couple days ago -- no tartar sauce, chopped frozen spinach or canned fried onions. :confused:
Some stuff you have to suck it on... but you can get at least two of those items as store brands almost anywhere.

BaconGrundleCandy

#1 Mac Jones fan
PatsFans.com Supporter
I shop at Demoulas. Live across the street from the original so it's too convenient. Prices are outrageous. I've been trying to cut out a few snacks I don't need. Try to save a few bucks where I can but it is a task. I really feel for people really struggling week to week.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
what’s the difference between Aldi and market basket? I’ve heard they don’t carry national brands which means I’d be going to market basket anyway

Aldi is cheaper by and large -- a lot of off-brands, some national brands and some imported oddities. In recent years they've added organic produce and "boutique"-style items you'd more quickly associate with Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But while you certainly could get by shopping there exclusively, they don't have the wide-ranging selection of Market Basket.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Just looking at all the macro trends, I think we hit "peak food" about 7 years ago. Too many of the supply variables are degrading. We all need to get used to prices going up and breadth of offerings going down.

So grow our own when we can, and encourage local/regional self sufficiency in public policy decisions. (I'm starting a TIC campaign for DC food self sufficiency with a reclaiming of the national mall for local farmers. Tourists can stay on the sidewalks. We don't need all that lawn.)

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Aldi is cheaper by and large -- a lot of off-brands, some national brands and some imported oddities. In recent years they've added organic produce and "boutique"-style items you'd more quickly associate with Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. But while you certainly could get by shopping there exclusively, they don't have the wide-ranging selection of Market Basket.
For those who don't know, Trader Joe's and Aldi are owned by the same company.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Just looking at all the macro trends, I think we hit "peak food" about 7 years ago. Too many of the supply variables are degrading. We all need to get used to prices going up and breadth of offerings going down.

So grow our own when we can, and encourage local/regional self sufficiency in public policy decisions. (I'm starting a TIC campaign for DC food self sufficiency with a reclaiming of the national mall for local farmers. Tourists can stay on the sidewalks. We don't need all that lawn.)
It'll be interesting to see where things are a year from now. I know a number of companies cut back on offerings during the pandemic. (One simple example: I couldn't find 8ish ounce plastic cups until last month.)

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I thought it was mostly a supply chain problem related to the pandemic, but this is an obvious and overlooked factor that won't go away anytime soon. When the Trumplicans start barking about prices and inflation as an election issue, they should be reminded about climate change -- one of their anti-science hoax claims:

World food prices have soared by 31% over the past year, according to the the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Supply shortages caused by extreme weather is one of several factors behind this food inflation.

Last edited:

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
I thought it was mostly a supply chain problem related to the pandemic, but this is an obvious and overlooked factor that won't go away anytime soon. When the Trumplicans start barking about prices and inflation as an election issue, they should be reminded about climate change -- one of their anti-science hoax claims:

World food prices have soared by 31% over the past year, according to the the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Supply shortages caused by extreme weather is one of several factors behind this food inflation.
I’m not a climate change denier. I wholeheartedly believe in it. All one has to do is look at what’s happening to coral reefs if they don’t believe it’s happening. With that said, however, I’d like to know a great reason for why this kind of spike in food prices didn’t happen within the last 10 or so years? It’s not like climate change is a new thing that just happened in the last year. Every single year, there is extreme weather. Why is it just now having this kind impact? I guess it’s just a minor coincidence that inflation is also at a 13-year high at this time?

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I’m not a climate change denier. I wholeheartedly believe in it. All one has to do is look at what’s happening to coral reefs if they don’t believe it’s happening. With that said, however, I’d like to know a great reason for why this kind of spike in food prices didn’t happen within the last 10 or so years? It’s not like climate change is a new thing that just happened in the last year. Every single year, there is extreme weather. Why is it just now having this kind impact? I guess it’s just a minor coincidence that inflation is also at a 13-year high at this time?

it's still supply chain issues.........shortage of truck drivers is the biggest issue at least when it comes to food distribution

look at used cars.....they're ridiculous right now
new cars.....nobodies giving deals right now

people are ready for back to normal but the channels that have contracted aren't there yet.

Kontradiction

Dr. P-ussy
PatsFans.com Supporter
it's still supply chain issues.........shortage of truck drivers is the biggest issue at least when it comes to food distribution

look at used cars.....they're ridiculous right now
new cars.....nobodies giving deals right now

people are ready for back to normal but the channels that have contracted aren't there yet.
It’s both. Supply chain constraints are nothing new, but this level of disruption in the face of North American demand is. Still, supply chains were disrupted when Covid first broke and prices weren’t this high. Inflation shares the blame. The CPI increased 5.4% over the last year. Inflation shouldn’t be a political issue. It’s pretty evident. The article was merely yet another example of how CNN has become more like Fox News. The writer’s agenda bleeds right through.