PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greenway's pro day numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
According to KFFL, Chad Greenway measured at 6'2" and 240, ran 40 times of 4.58 and 4.62, had a 38 inch vertical, a 10 foot broad jump, and did 19 reps. He strained his hamstring and was unable to complete the shuttles.

Greenway is currently ranked around #20 on most draft sites. The team most likely to draft him seemed to be Cleveland, but they seem infatuated with Broderick Bunkley and Kamerion Wembley. Could this injury scare teams a tiny bit, maybe 3-4 spots down the board? If so, he could fall right into our laps.

Could this be Vince Wilfork all over again?

I don't think the Browns will take him as #12 would be a little high. A few weeks ago I thought be wouldn't be there at #21 but momentum seems to be moving him down a little. His biggest problem seems to be getting off blocks so I don't think he's our inside guy to team with Bruschi but if we're leaving Vrabel inside then Greenway looks like an excellent 3-4 OLB. As he plays for Belichick's pal at Iowa, Kirk Ferentz, you can be sure Belichick will know everything he needs to about Greenway.

He has dropped a couple pounds since the Combine and improved his 40 times, he actually helped himself despite the hamstring tweak. 3-4 teams will take a hard look at him because of his size, but the 4-3 teams will love him for his instincts and coverage skills.

I agree that the Pats will not want Greenway at ILB. He runs around blocks and does not show explosion in his tackles, although he is excellent in coverage. I also don't think he fits as a 3-4 OLB. He is only 6'2'' 240 lbs and is not a natural pass rusher, nor does he seem capable of stacking guards to set the edge on running plays. The Pats have never drafted a player from Iowa since BB has been in charge, which is curious. As far as Greenway as a 4-3 LB, to my eyes he plays a little soft and does not intimidate like DeMeco Ryans, Ernie Sims or DQwell Jackson. I realize I sound like a contrarian but just watching him he seems more like a Barrett Ruud-style second rounder than an impact 1st rd LB. I doubt the Pats are considering him at #21.

I think that the fact that his "leg tightened up on him a bit", will have an impact on how BB views him. BB tends to ignore guys with those type problems, although I think Woick (however you spell it) does a fantastic job of designing programs to help mitigate games lost to those type injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes