SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Bad Decision
Boomer Esiason has normally been respectful of Brady, but made some poor decisions with his comments last week about the Patriots QB.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

GoT Season 8

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by maust1013, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Who falls at the Battle of Winterfell

1. Beric Dundarion

2. Brienne of Tarth

3. Davos

4. Edd

5. Gendry

6. Grey Worm and/or Missandei

7. Jamie

8. Theon

9. Sam and/or Gilly

10. Varys

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,035
    I respect your take but disagree. First there is complaints about how rushed the season is but then we want the setup which occurred in the previous episode to all happen in one episode. Grey Worm was still looking for justice even after the torching of the City. The death of Missandei wasn't something that could be forgotten so quickly. Same with the dragon. The betrayals of her inside circle was also part of the setup. The face she made as she began torching the City was the exact same face she made after Missandei was beheaded. Finally, we now found out that she knew Tyrion had also betrayed her.

The zig zag pattern was awesome effects. Again why rush it? Also, Cersei was witnessing the destruction of her City realizing the mistake she made. The tears flowing down her face as she watched the zig zagging were precious.

With all due respect, you don't know much about mental health if you think insane people look and act insane all the time.

I didn't particularly like the last episode but I'm ok with the way the season evolved given it was only 6 episodes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. LJRomanoff

LJRomanoff Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,344
    Why would anyone want the Targaryens back on the throne anyway? Their rule ended with Robert's Rebellion. Tyrion was the actual rightful heir because he has at least some Baratheon blood and isn't a bastard son, assuming anyone was interested in continuing primogeniture.

3. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,905
    Respect the other way to you as well and appreciate your opinions. Obviously this is a television show and nothing like the Florida Laws we’ve been discussing, to put it in perspective.

I’m well aware of mental illnesses from personal experience. In my opinion the show did a terrible job of depicting a hereditary mental illness (if that’s what they were indeed going for) as a trope to make a lot of explosions and rush an underdeveloped plot line too quickly (as you alluded to, just a difficult challenge with the timeframe).

Physically she purposely was made to look like her gaunt, crazy eyed brother Viserys during the scorching. In the next scene, her hair is back to its pretty state, and she looks exactly like Dany again. What I’m alluding to is that this type of sociopathic behavior could be caused by circumstances alone, including isolation, paranoia, and grieving. It’s not that it’s impossible that this was a mental illness. It’s that in real-time, it was so undercooked that viewers weren’t buying it that she has just suddenly become an evil Targaryen after all she’s learned and tried to be for 71 episodes. And that’s on the writers and director to build a well-founded, credible narrative.

I think just skipping the Jon Snow scene entirely and having her offscreen the entire time would have been a better option. She sure looked different the night before. It was just hard to buy while watching in real-time, even if it can be proven intellectually.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,905
    I've been thinking maybe I'm just being too picky here, but here's an update on the reception of the Season 8 and the finale. It looks like my perception is pretty consistent with the average viewer. I felt I came in with reasonable expectations, which was that it would just be high-quality though I didn't really care who got the throne, etc. In terms of plot holes, bad writing, I have a general rule of thumb that if it bothers/distracts me while watching in real-time, that's crossed the line. That's why I was fine with Season 7 despite a lot of Reddit criticism which I felt was nitpicky.

I've noticed that the GoT enterprise, including some actors/actresses, are trying to reduce the criticism to something simple like "they're just mad because their theory didn't come true, they didn't want Dany to heel turn, and they didn't expect Bran to be the King." Frankly, I think that's insulting to many people's intelligence. People just wanted the story to completed with the same quality, regardless of the ending, which would give some decent (we knew it would be somewhat rushed plot-wise) closure to an incredible series. This chart says it all:

[​IMG]

And for those of them comparing this to a show like Lost or The Sopranos, where the ending was disappointing for simply lack of getting what you wanted, those show ratings in their final seasons and finales were just slightly below their typical other seasons. This chart shows just how absurdly horrible Season 8 was, and why GoT is really in completely unchartered territory.

There's bad seasons, and then there's this. Dexter is the only comparable show, though GoT had an unprecedented budget, colossal amount of resources, and exceptional ensemble, whereas Dexter was always just a plucky underdog, Look at the Breaking Bad arc!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. Zuma

Zuma Happy GOT Endings PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,158
    What a great show Breaking Bad was. It could really only end one way with Walter the main character. With so many different characters in GOT...everyone had their own preference with the outcome building up between season 7 and 8 ...it could have ended a dozen different ways...and understandably hearts were broken. I was careful not to expect anything...and because of that I feel it gave me an ending that was ultimately fantastic. I will forever be thankful for the amazing journey that was Game of Thrones.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,946
    you have got to be kidding me? you thought that the ending was fantastic? lmao. I think you just cant bring yourself to admit it sucked. or maybe you are just easily pleased and entertained.i loved the show too but season 8 and the last episode were putrid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zuma

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I've previously made it clear I love season 8...episode 3 is incredible.

Episode 3: the buildup to this point..the intensity of standing there looking out into the darkness...the fear you could see on everyone's faces waiting....waiting. I don't know what to tell ya if you didn't feel that intensity...it blew me away. And then the charge with catapult firebombs flying over their heads....what an amazing piece of cinematography ! The charge into darkness...flames going out one at a time...absolute horror confirmed with those that could retreat. Every scene was absolutely terrifying and I loved it...over and over again.

I truly do feel bad for those that didn't enjoy season 8...I really do.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  8. venecol

Ratings:
    +4,035
    None of the other shows on those charts went past season 7 (except for Dexter). GOT rose just like the others from 6 to 7. Maybe the real answer is they should have ended it at 7. By the end of season 7 that show was so popular that everyone that had not watched it had to watch it. That's what I did, binged all 7 seasons in a month last summer. Most fans of the series were so invested and had to wait 2 years for the final series. It was bound to disappoint with such expectations and angst.

I wasn't that invested so I wasn't dissapointed. I mean we got to watch the Knight King die, the Mountain die, Cersei die, the City that laughed at Ned Stark's beheading got burned to the ground, Stark kids all live and succeed (even Jon), North is free again, Dragon flies away to freedom, Arya sails away to freedom, the midget became the true ruler as the Hand, the main favorite characters all survived. The Bran thing was kinda weird but when you analyze it, it was a pretty logical choice. They also came up with a new way of electing the ruler.

All in all everything worked out with a couple of teasers of things to come. Sure things happened really fast in 6 episodes versus the build up for 7 long years, so there were several holes and missteps (what where they doing for 2 years?).

I can see why some are disappointed but some of the reactions out there are way overboard, too dramatic (not referring to you IIB). JFC it's a f$%ckin fictional show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,905
    I agree with a lot of this. However, because of the sheer number of characters and the large story scope, I don’t think the Season 7 wall was the issues here. In fact, many including GRRM felt the series needed 10 seasons to avoid a rushed ending. GoT was unique because of this and could have gone on a long time; most shows just have a handful of main characters, so after after, say, 4-5 seasons, you start to get some very stale plots and writing that feel predictable because you feel like you’ve already seen a variation of it.

Th showrunners should have done what was best for everyone, which is hand off the show to someone else so it could get the full 10, rather than selfishly reducing it way down and letting their massive egos lead to a caricature of an ending. They clearly mailed it in.

Others shows have been immensely popular and fans have had insatiable expectations, but see the comparative ratings charts above. The GoT collapse cannot be explained by that alone

10. Zuma

Ratings:
    +2,158
    I'm not in the group that thinks the ending was rushed. Why? Because their is no beginning or ending. Bran is king...things go on regardless who sits on the chair, sails west, climbs a tree...or takes a dump. The moment we are born...we start dying with everything moving forward. Every season and every episode...things happen and sometimes their resolved in the same episode or in a later one. It's different then Breaking Bad...Walter was going to die and that's the end...but that's not the case with GOT with so many important characters to the series. Good and bad people died at the end and more will follow...life goes on somewhere.

The show was so good that it pulled people in and had a large emotional stake it in. Some felt entitlement...in that it should end the way they wanted. It's "tits and dragons"...don't sweat the small stuff.

Addendum: I realize my position on season 8 is not what some of you agree with. I don't want to piss anyone off...this is my last post on the matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,562
    I wouldn't worry about that. I enjoy your perspective.

I enjoyed Season 8 on some level, as pure spectacle, and I didn't mind some of the choices in the plot, but it was obviously rushed without the usual meticulous care with which we've become accustomed. GoT peaked at the end of Season 6 in my opinion, and unfortunately the rushed last two seasons stood in stark contrast as a result.

I don't necessarily buy the IMDB ratings. All that tells me is that it was a divisive ending; it's probably a 7, not a sub 5. Kneejerk IMDB ratings have resulted in some skewed top 10 movies of all time, so I take it with a massive grain of salt.

For example, people blasted the **** out of The Wire for Season 5 with the whole journalist angle. Over time, people forgot about that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,022
    These 2 are so easy to hate but have been as consistent as they come w the D&D hate & trolling.
    They know as much if not more than Martin about Westeros though. They must feel good rn.

Hopefully WoW is out early 2020

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BaconGrundleCandy

BaconGrundleCandy Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +8,022
    Kit is in rehab for stress & alcohol. Supposedly ending GoTs "hit him hard".

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. venecol

Ratings:
    +4,035
  15. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,905
    Being a GoT Believer During Season 8

Episode 1
    [​IMG]