SOURCE:CBS Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Bad Decision
Boomer Esiason has normally been respectful of Brady, but made some poor decisions with his comments last week about the Patriots QB.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

GoT Season 8

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by maust1013, Apr 23, 2019.

?

Who falls at the Battle of Winterfell

1. Beric Dundarion

2. Brienne of Tarth

3. Davos

4. Edd

5. Gendry

6. Grey Worm and/or Missandei

7. Jamie

8. Theon

9. Sam and/or Gilly

10. Varys

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,035
    Other Series with terrible endings:

Seinfeld (it sucked, great show)
    MASH (same)
    Sopranos (didn't like the ending)
    LOST (never watched it, heard end sucked)

2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Florida Man PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +46,889
    Soprano’s ending was god awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. venecol

venecol PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,035
    Good show endings:

Breaking Bad (perfect)
    Dexter (many didn't like it, I did)
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (my little girl got me hooked what can I say).

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,935
    man, I am so unbelievably disappointed in the last season and episode. so anticlimactic. waited two years so john snow could go back to the f--king nights watch? what the hell happened to this great show. it's like they were bored with it and just half-assed it for the last season. what a crying shame.

5. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,935
    fav ending of all time was the sheild.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19,863
    Apples and oranges to GoT.

Sopranos had run out of good material for several seasons...it was running on fumes. The last scene was very controversial, but the season had essentially concluded prior to that scene. The last season itself wasn’t very good, but that’s because the show itself had just run itself out so long ago. But with the Sopranos, it was never leading to an epic battle against some huge nemesis throughout the series. It was more of a series of conflicts, with the last season having its own variety.

GoT on the other hand had two goddamn years, an unprecedented budget, a massive amount of resources, and about 10,000 different possible endings that all could have been greatly satisfying. It’s really almost unfathomable how bad this ended. I cannot imagine the show runners had any influences to edit or give critical feedback to these scripts. It not only was a shtty storyline, even worse it destroyed character arcs, appeared to be a hollow parody of the show, and even ended on some stupid, cute note. It made absolutely no sense. In the final episode almost every scene has about five enormous red flags that stand out as asanine and totally inconsistent with the GoT world that was crafted. I’d say it’s a tie between Drogon torching the throne and the absurd next scene members of the council/Greyworm for dumbest part of the show.

So, the new council to choose the next King of Westeros....drum roll....all the characters who the fans know, including three Starks (wtf), Brienne (wtf), Sam (wtf), Davos (wtf), a bunch of stock characters never before seen to represent the other six Kingdoms (who are cool with the North getting both independence AND the King), and an indignant Greyworm who wants to make sure heavy justice is meted out (by keeping Tyrion as the Hand and sending Jon to the Night’s Watch to protect the world from White Walkers who no longer exist)...oh, by the way, Greyworm is sailing off anyway so he doesn’t really care after all, nor would he ever know if Jon went wherever he wants.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,485
    Dothraki surviving Winterfell, a platoon. Dothraki present for Dani's last speech, a regiment. The Unsullied went from a company to a brigade as well. How can you possibly miss this or think the audience will miss it?

"We only have six episodes." Yet last night felt like filler after filler.

There's no way in Greyworm's state of mind Tyrion and Jon live.

Yet I could forgive almost everything else wrong with this season if only Cersei had the right death. I would have been more accepting of Septa Unella and the Mountain falling in love and hacking her to pieces.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Zuma

Zuma Happy GOT Endings PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,150
  9. A Defiant Goose

A Defiant Goose In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,322
    Probably my least favorite episode. And I've been defending this season. Didn't like how much of a joke they made of things with Sam's "MuH DeMoCrAcY" and the Vale dude and the brothel talk from Bronn. Kinda hoped for one last fight scene with Jon vs Greyworm but I get it, I guess. Felt like we could have gotten more out of Drogon with Dany's death. ****ing lame that nobody even mentions that Jon's the heir to the throne when discussing the next king. Like does nobody care that this dude if a Targaryen/Stark?? And do the Unsullied/Dothraki not give a **** that their dragon queen was assassinated after they just took over the seven kingdoms? JFC man. This episode SUCKED. I mean...I like the outcomes? Good happy fitting endings but what a letdown overall

10. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,863
    Wow. It's getting ugly.

Hey Kit, no one was blaming you and felt sorry for the amount of work - and so many others - put into the show. That's a good potion of the reason so many people are furious at the bad sitcom writing that threatens to become the legacy of the series. But anyway, pretty trashy quote here. You've had months to prepare for this, and it's just making GoT even more of a laughing stock, which is sad.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/20/kit-harington-tells-game-of-thrones-haters-to-go-f-k-themselves/

11. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10,252
    In thinking about the poor way in which the story worked to it's conclusion in seasons 7 & 8 I just keep coming back to the 'burden of great expectation' thought process. We loved the show because it wasn't like any other fantasy/sci-fi show. The character & story development were so good we looked past the gratuitous 'tits n dragons' aspects and occasional plot & logic holes because overall it had earned a lot of coin with us. That it then spent that coin like a drunken sailor in port for a single Saturday night after being at sea for a year was beyond disappointing. That it became a 'tits n dragons' show in the end was painful to watch, it's hard to excuse that kind of fall. In a very short number of episodes Benioff & Weiss sufficiently lowered my expectations so that it was almost a blessing to have the show end before it sank lower.

In comparison to the finales of other noteworthy shows that stuck the landing (BB, The Wire, The Americans & The Sopranos, a YMMV proposition on the last but I thought it was brilliant), GoT completely lost it's way in terms of why it's fans loved it. In the past it was never about the action/battles per se so much as in previous seasons it was always well founded and part of the natural course of the momentum of preceding decisions and events, battle/action becoming in a sense almost cathartic when it finally happened and completely organic. For all the effects and action in the battles leading up to the finale there is very little by way of logic outside of, 'well we've been teasing the conflict of the living vs the dead from the beginning and we need to get it out of the way so we can get on down to KL and wrap up the game.' An 'if you can't baffle em with brilliance just dazzle em with BS' battle plan devoid of any shred of logic just doesn't fit with all that came before it. Similarly the lead in to the Battle of KL presents it as a dicey proposition that subsequently becomes little more than a knife to a gun fight slaughter. There were more than enough tell tale signs Dany would strip a gear eventually but the 'sudden' descent into 'madness' wasn't so much abrupt as it's trigger was inexplicably weak in proportion to the devastating result and complete betrayal of the character arc. Give us the beheading of Missandei as the immediate trigger to the destruction of KL or even Dany seeing her head on a stick at the gate to the Red Keep and we at least have the type of ferocious trigger event that overwhelms all the characters better angels.

Insofar as the selection of a king and the storybook endings of the Stark kids goes I can almost toss that off to the ultimate standing expectations on end, in GoT we've come to expect a twist. What's more twisted than a relatively happy ending? I say almost because how they got there was almost child like in it's simplicity.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +46,889
    That sawed off, little stump is mad? So are we.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. captain insano

Ratings:
    +3,935
    im glad they are seeing and hearing all the negative back lash. they deserve it.

14. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,863
    The trigger was readily available in two extremely obvious scenarios.

1. Rheagal is killed during the battle of KL. Anyone could buy that watching her dragon/child die could have triggered a f*ck this reaction causing her to burn the city (much like Cersei’s trauma from losing her children). Killing Rhaegal the way they did was asanine for so many reasons. Dany had been warned in two subsequent scenes about the iron fleet. Euron’s superhuman shots were absurd. She could have torched the remaining living sht out of the fleet with Drogon (like she did a few days later, along with an entire city and army.). But worst of all they threw away the perfect setup for why she would lose her sht in the moment of battle.

2. Her lust for the throne, essentially madness, leads her to torch the city for reasons that make sense. Cersei refuses to surrender and, rather than hide in the Red Keep, escapes to the city amongst the people to avoid Drogon. Despite the insane civilian cost, Dany justifies frying everyone in her quest. Believable and within her character’s nature...would still cause the same feelings from Jon, Tyrion, etc. Instead she actually risks letting Cersei escape so she can zig zag pattern KL for absolutely no reason.

Bonus: the other reason the “insanity” angle is so dumb is because it’s sandwiched in between scenes where she appears sane. She is sane when getting turned down by Jon the night before and discussing her strategy. She is sane immediately after the city torching (even her face has returned to healthy looking and her hair normal again.)

15. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +46,889
    upload_2019-5-20_16-54-3.png

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,863
    He was the best side character on the show. That entire story arc turned out to be the best of the series, with Arya killing the waif and becoming faceless.

17. Zuma

Ratings:
    +2,150
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +19,863
    Notorious Series Finales IMDB Ratings

Sopranos - 9.1
    Lost - 8.3
    Seinfeld - 7.7
    How I Met Your Mother - 5.6
    Dexter - 4.7
    Game of Thrones - 4.5

19. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10,252
    With all the bashing going on I think it's important to note Jon did reunite with Ghost. Imagine the internet outrage had they not found a way to work that in

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zuma

Ratings:
    +2,150