PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Got my PFW draft primer issue today

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
:rocker: What a nice surprise what I got home from work today. My wife presented me with my PFW draft "primer' issue. Been looking through it and it is pretty good for an early March magazine.

It will be fun to use until their "big book arrives in early April.

Also, they gave me a free access to their on line draft site beginning the first week of april and right up and through the draft.

I had mentioned in an earlier thread that the total cost is $23. Hell, I've paid $20 for their "big book' only so I coinsider this to be a very good value.

I probably should have done that. I just got the regular book. I think I heard The Sporting News' draft magazine is out, that was pretty good last year.

BelichickFan said:
I probably should have done that. I just got the regular book. I think I heard The Sporting News' draft magazine is out, that was pretty good last year.

Wow, that is early for the Sporting News. It usually comes out after March 15th and I was hoping that would be the case this year. I'd like to space these out by a couple of weeks each.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

PATSNUTme said:
Wow, that is early for the Sporting News. It usually comes out after March 15th
I think you may be right, I think I read it's coming out soon and put "out now" into words instead. Either way, it'll be out soon.

I got the magazine today, I recommend it. Lots of profiles but also some good stuff like Top 12 players for each teams scheme (or 12 who would fit well, anyway, not necessarily top 12), the compnents of the perfect player for each position, some technical talk on various schemes. Nice job.

BelichickFan said:
I got the magazine today, I recommend it. Lots of profiles but also some good stuff like Top 12 players for each teams scheme (or 12 who would fit well, anyway, not necessarily top 12), the compnents of the perfect player for each position, some technical talk on various schemes. Nice job.

Which one? The Sporting News is out and I picked it up yesterday.

Disappointed that they do not have the "stacking the board" feature that they always did have. But it is woth the $7.99.

The issue just before the draft will have updated info and , I hope, the "stacking the board", feature.

PATSNUTme said:
Which one?
Sorry, I meant the PFW one, I haven't got TSN's yet.

BelichickFan said:
Sorry, I meant the PFW one, I haven't got TSN's yet.

Did you see the "free" offer inside? There is a code that will let you into thier on line draft site starting on 4/5. They ususally charge about $15 and there will be daily updates leading up to the draft.

PATSNUTme said:
Did you see the "free" offer inside? There is a code that will let you into thier on line draft site starting on 4/5. They ususally charge about $15 and there will be daily updates leading up to the draft.
Yeah, I was excited about that. It's a little hard to concentrate on the draft with FA starting up but soon it'll be draft 24 hours a day . . .

So, Nut, I finally tracked down the Sporting News magazine. The first thing that lept out is the vastly different rankings between them and PFW. I know this is an impossible question but which do you prefer for rankings ? I don't watch enough college football to have too many of my own opinions and am stuck following the rankings and have found myself quite confused when comparing the two.

BelichickFan said:
So, Nut, I finally tracked down the Sporting News magazine. The first thing that lept out is the vastly different rankings between them and PFW. I know this is an impossible question but which do you prefer for rankings ? I don't watch enough college football to have too many of my own opinions and am stuck following the rankings and have found myself quite confused when comparing the two.

And the ESPN rankings are also different. I really don't prefer one over the other. I'm mostly interested in the player information. Strength vs weakness- attitude- smart- hard worker- overachiever/underachiever. Generally, what is said of the player. Does the player have a mean streak. Does he have an upside. Those type of things.

You'll find differneces in how they rank players on the on line sites too. It's just getting the basic information on players. Anything else I do with it is just play time.

I'm not delusional enough to think that no matter how much info I get though these publications or on line, that I have all of the knowledge that the real scouts have. In fact, probably less than 25%.

PATSNUTme said:
I really don't prefer one over the other. I'm mostly interested in the player information. Strength vs weakness- attitude- smart- hard worker- overachiever/underachiever. Generally, what is said of the player. Does the player have a mean streak. Does he have an upside. Those type of things.
What bothers me is the inconsistency. I think it's Fasano where one says he's a strong blocker and the other says he isn't.

Also TSN's lost a few points with me when they didn't even list that Georgia Tech ILB, unless I totally missed it.

I have been looking at them both, and it's good to have a few differing opinions, but I'm definitely liking PFW's better right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes