PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: Four preseason games not necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a comment that this is still illegal by federal law in all 50 states. It's just not being enforced. So it's not really 100% legal.

it's 100% legal until somebody come to me and makes me stop

simple.....add 10 player spots on the roster, increase the cap space by 25%, add another bye week, and turn 2 pre-season games into regular season games. season starts in august when most of the baseball teams are out of it anyway

I never said the league should add more games.

Only stretch the season by giving out another (or 2) BYE weeks. If you stagger it right players will have more rest and the league will have 18-19 weeks of regular season to dominate the sports media and sell ads.

That's what I've been advocating with one added caveat that the second bye revolves around the Thursday night game. The two teams playing would not play the Sunday before or after giving them two extended weeks rather than a short one. I think this would go a long way to improve the quality of the Thursday night games. Teams would come in with ten days rest not three.

Thanksgiving would be the tough one but perhaps those team never get the full bye and get two of these mini byes every year. Dallas and Detroit would have to deal if they want to keep hosting.

Fine, the Pats always going 18-19 games is a point but it's a weak one if you think that translates to a league wide deal but know that the best teams will have to play up to 21 real games. Another dynasty busting scheme, accidental as it may be. Add into the equation that most of the starters only play a few series in the first couple of preseason games and may not play at all in the last one limiting their exposure to injury, so you cant just argue that replacing 2 preseason games with real games is a wash.

Which four?

Has BB commented on this yet? It wouldn’t be surprising if he feels like shortening preseason is another attempt of removing valuable player-coach opportunities in favor of a short-sighted money grab.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned in here before but just give every team a second bye week. It checks all the boxes.
Player safety: an extra week to rest and get healthy.
Money: adds another week to the season for more ad dollars for the league.
Paychecks: don’t need to pay the players anymore money.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned in here before but just give every team a second bye week. It checks all the boxes.

Maybe you should be the NFL commissioner? ;)

As an added bonus 2 bye weeks would make it easier to arrange things so that Thursday night games occur after a bye week and don't suck.

They did have a 2-bye season about 20 years ago and it wasn't all roses and sunshine. There are only so many marquee games and spreading things out even further than they already are created some very, very sparse weekends of action.

They did have a 2-bye season about 20 years ago and it wasn't all roses and sunshine. There are only so many marquee games and spreading things out even further than they already are created some very, very sparse weekends of action.
True but it seems like we already have multiple games a year in the last few weeks of the season with backup QB’s battling it out in games that don’t matter anyways.

Just Goodell going for the money, they don’t give one sweet sh.t about player safety, they just want to expand the season and the playoffs. Every year brings me a little closer to saying goodbye to the NFL. F.ck the greedy scumbag owners and their idiotic 18 game season.

This is something I would like.

For the fans: No increase in tickets we already pay full boat for two stupid games, at least this brings it down to one.

For the league: 18 game season with two byes - this gives the league 3 extra tv weeks and more attendance/parking/concession revenue.

For the Union: 10% more to the cap
Expand rosters to 60 players
Every player can play maximum of 16 regular season games.
Expand in season IR returns.
Teams can designate what players sit each week, but every player can only play 16 games.

Out of conference home fans would likely not see the opposing qb 2x each year.

Replace the four preseason games with two regular season games.

Replace the four preseason games with two regular season games.

But the starters only play 1/2 of one game those last two games, you now have them playing 2 more full games.

They did have a 2-bye season about 20 years ago and it wasn't all roses and sunshine.
Did this only happen for one year? Which season? Just curious.

I'd like them to move the Super Bowl to Saturday.

Otherwise keep things the way they are.

I'd like them to move the Super Bowl to Saturday.
Super Bowl Sunday becomes Super Bowl Saturday?

You think the whole world revolves around your vodka and pull up routine? You narcissist, you.

Double post - apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye