PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GOAT DTs

I can't honestly say Greene was better than Randy White or vice versa. Likewise with Kennedy vs Sapp although I am quite sure Olsen was better than either of them.

Bob Lilly

(big

drop)

Mean Joe/Randy White
Merlin Olsen
Sapp/Kennedy

Honorable mentions: John Randle and Dan Hampton

No love for Big Vince?

Can't speak for anyone else but I see NT as it's own category. And I have big love for Big Vince. Like bromance love, his signed jersey hangs in our sports cave

Last edited:
Can't speak for anyone else but I see NT as it's own category. And I have big love for Big Vince. Like bromance love, his signed jersey hangs in our man cave
VW moved around on the line too in 2010 and 2011 ala White, Klecko, etc but hes not in that class.

I can't honestly say Greene was better than Randy White

Exactly. By most accounts Greene was the most dominant DT who ever played. If they tracked sacks back then hed be putting up 8-12 a year. He was also a dominant run defender.

White was a different player. Smaller. Super quick. Always guessed right. Tenacious. Thats why Donald reminds me of him.

GOAT DTs is a medical condition caused by profligate over-indulgence in SB wins.

Exactly. By most accounts Greene was the most dominant DT who ever played. If they tracked sacks back then hed be putting up 8-12 a year. He was also a dominant run defender.

White was a different player. Smaller. Super quick. Always guessed right. Tenacious. Thats why Donald reminds me of him.

White was so damn quick they actually used him at LB at times. It's one thing to think of a DE at OLB it's another to have seen a DT out there in that era. With the conditioning we see now we take it for granted that it can happen but in the 70's it was unusual to say the least

Agree on Atkins. Playing on the Bungles hasn't done him any favors.

To RW's OP: Randy White's tackle stats are insane.

Regards,
Chris

Remember White getting dominated by J Hannah, They moved him away from Hannah in the second half.

Buck Buchanan....I saw him play. There's an NFL award named after him. 6'7" BEAST.

people forget..jeez...Willie Lanier backed that line in the middle...flanked by Bobby Bell! That D was scary

Remember it well...Kee-rist we are old but...STILL HERE and NOT LEAVIN'

White was so damn quick they actually used him at LB at times. It's one thing to think of a DE at OLB it's another to have seen a DT out there in that era. With the conditioning we see now we take it for granted that it can happen but in the 70's it was unusual to say the least
When they talk about describing a player having a "motor", Randy White's picture is next to it.

I immediately thought of Bruce Smith...but i guess he was more a DE.

I immediately thought of Bruce Smith...but i guess he was more a DE.
Yea hes in the top 5 of the OT: GOAT DE thread.

Oh please, you saw enough of that dogshit Buffalo team from back then. He was the whole defense.
I was bustin ya.

Smerlas was outstanding.

He actually started as a LB and wasn’t real good so he bulked up and moved to DT.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back